1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

duh... 3-string restoration photos

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by LouisF, Nov 6, 2006.

1. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    sorry to be so dense, but... what's the trick on downloading/uploading photos? Nick Roubas has finally taken the three string Tyrolean bass apart and is beginning to reconstruct it, and I'd like to share the process.

We found the signatures of three luthiers (er, maybe garage mechanics) dated 1911, 1927 and 1956 inside. Cracks had been patch with cloth, cereal box tops (no joke) and elmer's glue.

A new back was cut from plywood and SCREWED on with a brace. How the thing survived is beyond me!

I try to send up photos as soon as I figure out how

Louis

2. Sounds like an interesting project. You can post pictures here by either attatching them to your post, or by hosting them yourself someplace else and then linking them in your post.

3. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    first two

Attached Files:

4. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    boy, this is fun... hmmm....

Attached Files:

5. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    two more...

Attached Files:

6. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    for now... we figure it's an 8 - 10 month project (part-time) solo fingerboard and high grade tuners from Upton, Camelopard endpin, and maybe a Pecanic tail piece.

We're looking for some really good wood for the back (if anyone has a lead let me know)

More as we progress -- and thanks for the computer up date on the photos Thoman

Louis

Attached Files:

7. I've done a couple of similar projects and was able to get some very nice wood for replacing the flatback from Randle Woods. 360-497-2071

Let them know the minimum size you need and they will send you photos of the wood planks so you can choose the figure you want. They do resawing, but you will need to have access to a thickness sander and jointer.

8. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks, Bob. We'll chek 'em out!

Louis

9. mpm

mpm

May 10, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I get a lot of wood from Reel Lumber in Riverside, CA. They had some really nicely flamed soft maple a couple of months ago.

10. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    thanks!

louis

11. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Nick is working away on the bass (between his violin making projects) and sent the following photos. He says that in the three times that the bass has been opened up, it has been repaired (on the inside) with cereal box tops, silk stockings and something that looks lumps of silly-string.

I'm hoping to have the bass ready for June.

Louis

Attached Files:

12. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    2 more pics

Attached Files:

13. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    What, no chewing gum or duct tape? :)

It really does make you wonder, doesn't it?

14. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    last one for now

Attached Files:

15. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ken,

That's actually what he's working on now! We should (with luck) have new bass made with basically 200 year old wood when we're done.

Louis

16. Andy Allen

Andy Allen "Working Bassist"

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I was out at Nick's place a week or so ago to discuss a little cosmetic work on my bass and saw the peices of that bass stacked in the corner.

Nick gave me the whole story of the, ahem...'creative' maintenance that had been done to it. That's quite a project.

Nick's an interesting guy - very detail-oriented.

Andy

17. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    VERY detail-oriented!

Louis

18. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Here are some photos of the inside of the Tyrolean bass - the bass bar is still under construction, but the sides and ribs (not shown) have been relined. Slowly moving forward!

Louis

Attached Files:

19. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    I hope you're planning to install a proper neck block; my bass was one of the "blockless wonders" and that one bit of work made it into a much better instrument.

20. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    oh yes! thanks.

Louis