Dumbest thing you ever did with a bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JimmyM, Jul 21, 2021.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    This is a contest, with the winner receiving 500 bonus points. You only have until December 31, 2121 before a winner is declared, so enter now!

I have two entries, though as judge, I must humbly recuse myself from entering. I also have other entries, including leaving my bass at home a few times, but these are the best:

One night a few years ago I was about to go on for a show backing up an oldies act at a supper club at the Villages, I had my 09 AmStd P with me, and we had about 2 minutes and I had to go to the bathroom. I stick my bass atop a pile of chairs on a cart about 6 ft high, and it seems sturdy enough to stay while I run to the can. I come out a minute later, and a couple of the guys are picking my bass up off the floor. Since it was the only bass I brought, my first thought was panic, but while it had some very ugly dings in it in unusual places (I suspect it hit a cart corner on the way down), there was nothing wrong, and in fact, was still in tune. So I walked out like nothing happened and did the show. And I still only brought one bass to most gigs after that til Covid hit, so obviously I learned nothing.

I had to clean up the arm rest area so it didn't irritate me, and it turned out pretty well, I think. But I should have left that ding on the front all choppy and just let the chips fall out on their own, but I tried to clean it up, too, and just made it look odd. The more I cleaned it up, the cheesier it looked, so now I just disguise it. Can't tell a thing happened to it now:

09 P Body.JPG

The second dumbest thing I did involves this very same bass. I was leaving for a gig with the blues/jazz band I was with from 2019 till Covid hit. I put this bass in my gig bag, walk out the door, turn around to lock the door, and out falls my bass...I forgot to zip it up. Fell face down, and though the bass got no dings thanks to our front door mat, the strings connected with the edge of the doorstep and every single one of them broke. Flats, too. Honestly, I was madder about that than the other incident because dings are free and new flats were $35!

OK folks, time to free yourselves of the dumb demons that haunt you. We know everyone's got a story, and some of us have more stories than we can remember. Time for you to come clean.

EDIT: Forgot to post the full-frontal I just took of it. Wasn't very well lit, but I know you all like full frontal, as you should:

09 P.JPG

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
    Geo Monty, MovinTarget, caug and 41 others like this.
  2. Sounds like you should leave the bass at home from now on!:D

Here’s a few: loading up for a gig, running late, put everything in the trunk and start backing out the driveway and wondering what’s that awful scraping sound?? Yep! Left the bass behind the car. Thankfully the SKB case did its job and had the scars to prove it. :thumbsup:

Another time, many years ago, was driving to a gig with my gear in the trunk and when we finally arrived I opened the trunk to a blast of heat and the stench of melted plastic! Turns out I had an exhaust leak in my old Dodge Dart that was blowing hot exhaust on the belly of my trunk for two hours! But thankfully the old Fender case did its job this time too. It was melted across the bottom but the bass inside was just fine. I still have both to this day. :D

Geo Monty, caug, EagleMoon and 28 others like this.
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Wow, Ron, you just set the bar extremely high for the other contestants, especially since you have pretty collectable basses.

Blackjac97, Nuage420, murphy and 3 others like this.
  4. Haha! Luckily I had hard shell cases for them.:D

murphy, crobasster and JimmyM like this.
  5. David76112

David76112

Feb 19, 2012
    America
    I tossed an Epiphone Ripper into Angle Lake in SeaTac, WA.

I had the bass for about two years and everything was wrong about it. The neck was massive. Way too thick. All the alignment was way off. Neck pocket, pickups, even the nut was crooked. I weighed the costs and efforts to straighten everything out and after some amount of vodka chose the lake. I took it out to the dock and just let it fly.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    All of a sudden I don't feel nearly as dumb for the stuff I did. Thanks, man! That story is going to be hard to top.

7. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    tried roundwounds for far too long ...what a dope

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I still love rounds though I have a handful of basses with flats, which I also love. That's a smart thing. Sorry, but I have to disqualify you.

Juan Lauda, mikewalker, PillO and 7 others like this.
  9. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Dropped.

10. David76112

David76112

Feb 19, 2012
    America

Funny thing is, I still want one of those Rippers! Maybe someday I'll find one in playable condition that was not salvaged from a lake.

11. C Stone

C Stone

Sep 4, 2020
    USA
    Two things come to mind: first was in the heat of the moments jammin out, yes it's happened more than once (but only when copious amounts of alcohol were involved) were the times I used my headstock to bash the crash cymbal :rollno: what can I say it felt right at the time...a short phase but the bass wears the scars to remind me none the less.

The second was trying to commit to a relic job on a perfectly good bass with an already nice finish, going back and forth (and driving my gurl crazy about it) I just grabbed it and whacked it on the my fireplace a couple times after that it was easy to commit. :laugh:

12. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

C Stone and JimmyM like this.
  13. thmsjordan

thmsjordan

Jan 10, 2010
    Eschew Obfuscation
    I had a fretless Tobacco finish Ripper with an ebony neck for a while in the 70's. They had these switches with different pickup settings. One sounded just like someone stepping on a duck. Awesome!

14. 707GK

707GK

Jun 13, 2013
    California
    I accidentally threw my bass across the garage, into the the (thin) metal garage door, while attempting to swing the bass around my body so I could try it at a gig and look cool. I hadn’t learned about straplocks yet. It was a while ago but I think the garage door took more damage than the bass did. I never did try it at a gig…

15. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    I started playing one? :D

16. Erik herman

Erik herman Gold Supporting Member

Went way too far with a truss rod……
    to the point the headstock blew off the neck!
    :thumbsdown::dead:

spatters, caug, bobyoung53 and 26 others like this.
  17. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    Years ago, I had a small collection of '60s basses, one of which was the 1964 Gibson Thunderbird below. The day I got it I stood it up in a corner, no stand, while the family ate dinner. Two bites into the cheeseburger it slammed face-down onto the wooden floor. Luckily, there was no damage to the irreplaceable bass. I still stack basses in the corner, but now they're all of a much cheaper variety.

TB10.jpg

spatters, caug, bobyoung53 and 18 others like this.
  18. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    but wait, there's more!
    I still have a freezer full of all the rounds I removed as tho I'm ever gonna use'm again lol
    that doubly disqualifies me

19. MOTORHEADBANGER

MOTORHEADBANGER Spud-boy looking for a real tomato Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Somewhere in Time
    I dropped a wah pedal on my Aria SB last year and it took a big ol' gouge out of the bottom horn straight down to the wood.

spatters likes this.
  20. In my dismissal youth. I smashed one of these :meh:.
    upload_2021-7-21_6-25-18.jpeg

spatters, mikewalker, 707GK and 4 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021