1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dunlop 105Q SOUNDCLIP

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by assboglin, Jul 29, 2007.

1. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    I thought I'd put up a small soundclip of another one of my favorite pedals, the Dunlop 105Q Bass Wah. Most of you probably have these, but if there's anyone out there deciding on a wah, this might help.

I like the 105Q for it's bottom retention and more R & B oriented sound. But lots of people get lots of great sounds out of it. Here's one of the sounds I use it for:

http://media.putfile.com/105Q

2. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I <3 my 105q..

great clip.. nice and funkay!!

3. Mmmmm... FUNK :smug:

4. vtwo

vtwo

Dec 16, 2006
    Connecticut
    Good clip, thanks!

5. The 105Q is a great pedal - had mine for years. Just used it in our latest recording session.

My only gripe was that the pedal doesn't automatically turn off quick enough when your foot comes off - so I modded mine by changing a single resistor. Now it turns off instantaniously.:)

6. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    Yeah, there's an internal trimpot. I turned mine down too.

7. I hope you tried the internal trimpot first! :eek:

8. Actually - no.
    Cos mine's pretty old - it doesn't have a trimpot in it. I emailed dunlop at the time, and they told me how to do it.;)

9. i should listen to this.

10. casio

casio

Aug 1, 2007
    Croatia
    I've only had mine for a couple months no, but I'm going into the studio to record a new album in october, and I can't wait to go use it a bit!:D

11. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Mine's the older type with the controls on the bottom... so may lack the trimpot. Any chance you could post the resistor modification here?

12. I'd be no good there mate - I'm colour blind and had to get the salesman to choose the resistor for me. It was resistor 25 from memory......but this is going back more than 6 years...
    The best course of action would be to get your serial number - and send it to Dunlop, asking how to do it - they'll let you know the easiest way.
    Good Luck,
    smo

13. johans

johans G.U.I - Groovin' under influence

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    does 105Q retain our low end? assboglin's clip was nice just thought that its a little mid-dy to me, not sure if thats your setting or the 105Q :)

14. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    The 105Q retains the bottom, especially compared to other wah pedals I have used.

And remember all of the samples I've done will sound small, thin, or whatever through little computer speakers. All the sounds I've done sound a lot bigger coming out the 12's or 15's in my cabinets. The soundclips aren't at all an accurate translation of my sound either; I'm just using an SM 57 and a crappy recording device.

15. Sir Edward V

Sir Edward V Not Actually Knighted... Yet!

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    that sounded sweet

If anyone is interested I think I figured out how to mod the 105Q to turn on and off via stomp switch just like the other crybabys. It would be pretty simple actually.

16. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
  17. Sir Edward V

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    Yeah, I was examining my 105Q a few weeks ago and it seams it really isn't switchless (go figure, it has to turn on somehow right?). Turns out there is a tiny momentary switch on the heel that gets pressed by a little rubber knubby thing. So the switch is connected when the heel is down making it in bypass mode, then when you start moving it, the switch is released and that circuit is left open so the effect turns on.

So to change it to a stomp-style switch on the toe, all you have to do is get a SPST switch and attach a pole in place of the poles on the momentary switch. I don't know about everyone else's 105Q, but mine even has the hole drilled out for me... it is filled in with some black plastic piece.

you can even make it true bypass with a 3PDT, one pole is used to turn the effect on/off, then the other two used for the TB. or you could make it TB with a DPDT then make it so the effect is always on

Then you can get rid of the pieces that make the toe automatically go up as well. How that works is there is just a piece of curved metal going from the heel to halfway up the toe, you can take it out with a socket wrench and a screwdriver.

so yeah, not too complicated, and no drilling! If I didn't love the "switchless" feature, I would do it myself!

18. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    Yeah, I've noticed the switching mechanism when I tore apart my last 105Q. Currently I don't have any problems with the switchless operation, I turned the trimpot down to zero and it works fine, but if I ever decide to eliminate any possibility of tone suck I'll bust out the old soldering iron and see what I can do. I'd like to have the cash around to buy another 105Q in case I screw it up. Even though I took three year's worth of electrical engineering classes I never got good with a soldering iron; all they tried to teach me was useless theory and math problems haha.

19. Sir Edward V

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    lol, yeah I'm in Computer Engineering myself, in the second year... we've had one lab that dealt with soldering. By that I mean one meeting of one lab. It's not really a vital part of this industry, I guess.

Doesn't matter, I've gotten good with a soldering iron on my own time :)

But there really isn't too much to screw up in this case... The only thing you have to mess with on the circuitboard is the old switch. Unless you want to do TB anyways... just thought about that, to do the true bypass you have to detach the input and output jacks from the circuitboard... that makes it a little more difficult... but the switchless to switch mod is easy! lol