Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Duo Recordings

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by hdiddy, Mar 1, 2005.

1. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Hey fellas,

I'm starting to jam more with other peops in my short stint on DB. I'm starting to find I like playing in duo's alot due to the challenge of being able to hold it together on your own. So now I'd like to get more good Duo recordings to marinate my ears.

From what I've gathered from other threads, I should get:
    * Duke Ellington w/ Jimmy Blanton or Ray Brown
    * Charlie Haden w/ Pat Metheny
    * Bill Evans w/ Eddie Gomez
    * NHOP & Joe Pass

These I already have:
    - Alone Together (Jim Hall & Ron Carter)
    - Telephone (JH & RC)
    - Live at the Village Vanguard (JH & RC)
    - Jim Hall & Basses (JH & Scott Colley/George Mraz/Charlie Haden/Christian McBride/Dave Holland)
    - Moon & Sand (Kenny Burrell & Jim Heard?)

Any more? I just wanted to put this question out there, thinking that other bassists will be interested as well.

Thanks!
    --Huy

2. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    I'm listening to Bill Evans & Eddie Gomez' Intuition right this minute. It's outstanding -- that magical moment circa 1974 when Gomez was in full possession of all his technical skills but had not yet gone down the ego-path. (Of course, I dig that stuff from him, too.)

Michael Moore & Bill Charlap's 1994 Maybeck concert disc is mighty fine if you dig Michael Moore. Somebody say amen . . .

Gary Burton & Steve Swallow's Hotel Hello is a classic in its class. Burton's duos with Chick Corea are equally fine.

I forgot to mention Pat Martino and Gil Goldstein's We'll Be Together Again. This is some of Pat's most sensitive and in-the-moment playing from before the surgery.

There are two Dave Holland & Sam Rivers duo records, originally on Improvising Artists Inc. I've only got the DB/Flute & piano one; it's killin' if you're ready for twenty-minute free-jazz explorations by two people who really know how to listen. Anybody have to other disc and want to swap?

3. You've already mentioned Joe Pass & NHØP - two of their duo albums which spring to mind are Chops and Northsea Nights - both amazing! There is also a DVD of Oscar Peterson with both Ray Brown and NHØP - interesting juxtaposition of two very fine bassists (as well as one of the finest pianists of the past 200 years…)

- Wil

4. Jeremy Allen

Jeremy Allen Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    In my very humble opinion, Jim Hall and Bob Brookmeyer's "Live at the North Sea Jazz Festival" is the most beautiful jazz duo performance ever put on vinyl (and, er, plastic). It's one of those albums that forms part of my genetic make-up. No bass player on it, obviously, but imbibe this recording and then put on some headphones (or crank it on your speakers) and play along with it. It will make you happy.

In the same ballpark, the Jim Hall and Bill Evans duo albums are perfection ("Undercurrent" and "Intermodulation"). And Brookmeyer did a more recent duo album with Mads Vinding on bass (Vinding's something else, although his tone--he uses those tapewound Labellas--may turn some people off).

I find that Jim Hall and Brookmeyer both provide, throughout their long careers, an enormous amount of material that is both supremely hip AND completely transcribable/playable by serious students of jazz bass (as opposed to, say, Coltrane solos). It works wonders to dive into the logic and elegance of their lines by transcribing/learning by heart some of the stuff either of those guys have done.

And in a completely different vein, there's the Dave Holland/Steve Coleman duo recording "Phase Space." Not a lot of people seem to know this one, but the bass playing and the interaction are superb. The whole thing leaves me a little cold, but it's certainly worth checking out for any bassist--any opportunity to get a closer look at Dave Holland seems worthwhile, even if one isn't necessarily trying to emulate him. (I mean, we're all just trying to emulate OURSELVES anyway, right?)

5. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Sam....thanks for mentioning "Hotel Hello"...what a beautiful album that is! Chick and Gary; I listened the grooves off of "Crystal Silence". And the Sam & Dave album is priceless. We must have the same record collection. ;)

I'd have to say the Jimmy Rowles/Ray brown stuff would be at the top of the list. And I know I've mentioned it here before; the Hampton Hawes/Charlie Haden album, "As Long As There's Music". Outstanding.

(edit) Oh, for God's sake, I forgot one of the greatest duo albums of all time...the Jim Hall/Red Mitchell thing! Duhhh....

I also liked some of the stuff that Dave Friesen and John Stowell did as a duo.

6. The hard to find Jim Hall/Red Mitchell duo that Marcus mentions....IMHO, the finest duo recording ever made.
    Jimmy Rowles/Red Mitchell, Warne Marsh/Red Mitchell, Lee Konitz/Red Mitchell, several Red Mitchell/Roger Kellaway recordings. And I almost forgot...Red Mitchell/Kenny Barron.....The Red Barron Duo.

7. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    Check out Richard Davis dueting with Eric Dolphy, early 60s.

NYC (Music Makers, Inc.), 1 July, 1963

Eric Dolphy (fl,bcl); Richard Davis (bass).

Muses, Alone Together (bcl), Come Sunday (bcl), Ode to C.P. (fl)

Alone Together is on Joy 116, Come Sunday and Ode are on "Iron Man". Muses is unissued, and that there is an alternate take of Alone Together, also unissued. The original issues were on "Conversations", FM-308 (Alone) and "Iron Man", Douglas International SD785

Also, Richard Davis and John Hicks on the The Bassist: Homage to Diversity

8. bassgeek

bassgeek

Oct 19, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Wow, what a great list happening here. I'll second Marcus' recommendation of the Haden/Hawes recording, "As Long as There's Music". Also from Charlie, "Night and the City" with Kenny Barron and "Steal Away" with Hank Jones. Both superb albums.

There is a Lee Konitz album, "The Lee Konitz Duets" I think is the title, where he plays duets with a different player on each track. Players include Jim Hall, Eddie Gomez, Elvin Jones, and Joe Henderson. Interesting album.

9. This is a great trick that I would use when I was trying to teach myself to play....find records of duos with no bassist and play along.
    Although by the time it came out, I was pretty much a seasoned player, but both Bill Evans/Jim Hall duo records are a ball to play along with!
    Now days, with the digital CD thing happening, it's much easier to practice with pre-recorded music...most everything is in tune. When I was a boy.....(here we go again!) all those records ran at different speeds depending on the condition of your turn-table belt. But, I suppose, it's not a bad idea to be able to play Lush Life in F#!!!

10. Jeremy Allen

Jeremy Allen Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    Oh that reminds me--William Parker and Hamid Drake. Just bass and percussion, and very cool. William Parker is a force of nature.

11. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
  12. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I just know this thread has happened before...but it's a great read nonetheless. One that I don't think has been mentioned so far are the great recordings by Dave young called Two by Two. These recordings are WELL worth the price of admission, and you get to hear duos with a variety of different great pianists.

13. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Yeah, I was thinking so, but I did a search on "duo" and nothing specific came up, which is why I thought I'd put this thread up.

Man, this list is great guys! I shoulda been more specific that I wanted a bass + something-else duo. I'm looking for accompaniment ideas other than 2-feel or walking lines on bass, although I'm sure could use good examples of such.

I think my wallet will be hurting but my ears & bass will be happy. :) The specific mentions of albums is a big help so I know which ones to get. Gonna hit the used-record store this week. Thanks a bunch!

14. diddy, since you're in 'The City' you should have some never ending sources for USED music.
    Good luck Man....let us know.

15. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    this is the best 9.99 i have ever paid in my life. i would of paid much more from that DVD. i can't imagine that i would ever get tired of this DVD.

:)

16. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Sure do! I just had to get some suggestions from you guys cuz everytime I go to Amoeba music, I get flusted about what to get since it all depends on what is available in the used section.

Amoeba Records is usually where I go. The used jazz section usually runs the entire length of huge room - about 50 ft? If you can't find it there, you can look at the new Jazz cd section which is almost as long. And if that ain't enough, Amoeba also has a second location in Berkeley too. Used cd's usually run about $5-$14 per cd... average is about $8-10. I have a bad habit of walking out with 10+ cds every time I go there. It's like being a kid in a candy store. :hyper:

So if you guys ever come to the SF Bay Area (I think there's a location in LA too), bring a large hole in your pocket and load up.

17. JeffKissell

JeffKissell Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Soquel, CA
    Houston Person & Ron Carter, two recordings, "Somthing in Common," and "Now's the time," also boxed together as "the Complete Muse Sessions" It's not the greatest bass sound of all time, but the duets are interesting. "Spring Can Really Hang You Up The Most" is great. I'm actually trying to learn the horn parts too.

Duke Ellington/Ray Brown, "This One's For Blanton," this is one of my favorite recordings of all time!!

jk

18. Andy Allen

Andy Allen "Working Bassist"

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I work across the street from the LA Amoeba records (Sunset & Ivar) and it's a complete disaster. For me that is. I have been trying to limit my browsing, so as to control my buying, but with limited sucess. I do have a rather nice, if rapidly expanding, jazz CD collection now though. I'm listening to Joe Pass/NHOP and JP/Ray Brown while reading this thread...great stuff, thanks for reminding me.

19. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    I got about at least a third of all of your suggestions. I picked up 8 cds. The Jim Hall and Red Mitchell albums I couldn't find at all. Nor could I find the Michael Moore one. I'll have to shop at the one in Berkeley next to see what I can get. If I can't find them there, then I'll have to find them over the net.

The best deal was Houston Preston & RC for $5.99! WOOHOO!

You guys are right, I think I'm catching the Charlie Haden bug finally. I found another duo of him with Hank Jones doing folks songs and such on Steal Away.

BTW you Jim Hall freaks: In my browsing I ran across a new Jim Hall album that's been unreleased until last year. Titled "The Unreleased Sessions". I listened to it briefly and it sounds like hey's backing Buddy Collettes bands. They do a couple standards and a bunch of them are covers of stuff from Porgy & Bess. All recorded in the late 50's. There's 23 tracks on the cd for 76 minutes. It's kinda odd IMO, Jim sounds even more reserved but his lines are still simply and beautiful. Check it out if you get the chance.

Anyways, thanks again guys. I'm excited to listen to all this good stuff.

20. The unreleased sessions sounds like the Chico Hamilton stuff...Buddy was on those. Did you hear a cello on that? Fred Katz, the cellist. Buddy on reeds, Chico and Carson Smith on bass. I'd love to have that!