Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EA amp confused!?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by junglejim, Jul 7, 2005.

1. junglejim

junglejim

Nov 17, 2003
    Norfolk, UK
    looking at EA 200 combo...
    seems to be 2 floating around..?!?!

EA wizzy 200 combo.
    Iamp 200 wizzy combo.

both seem to be same price, but one has the tuner on front panel other doesn't!
    dont know if any other changes..
    personally i would like the tuner model..
    can any one clear up my confusion?

Jim

2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    The two you mention are the same. The iAMP 200 head running into the 1x12 Wizzy cabinet.

The original 200 head had a tuner in it. This was later discontinued for many reasons, most importantly, however, was a lack of availability of the tuner chip.

Mike

3. junglejim

junglejim

Nov 17, 2003
    Norfolk, UK
    OK thanks.

shame about the tuner :bawl:

J

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    FYI, you can also get the Wizzy Combo with the iAMP 500 head, the iAMP-500C Wizzy Combo.

Tom.

5. junglejim

junglejim

Nov 17, 2003
    Norfolk, UK
    thanks,
    yes getting a bit out of my price range now!!

(as with the 200 it appears the tuner has been removed from all amps)

6. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    That is correct.

7. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    I use my Wizzy combo mostly for straightahead jazz on upright, and I really dig the sound.

I happen to think this combo is underrated, especially for upright, and I'm kind of surprised it isn't more widely accepted.

I also think it could be one of the better solutions for doublers in particular. For me it seems to satisfy the different requirements for both DB and slab quite well in a single package, and I think we all know this is a pretty complex challenge.

8. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    see this?:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=184179

9. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I was searching online for info about the Wizzy combo and one site stated that it shipped the cab and head separately.

My question is: on the 200, 500C, or 800C combo can the head be easily removed to be used with other cabs? If so, does it just slide in?

10. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    The 200 and 500 combo cabinets are the same. The 800 combo actually comes with the rack ears, and you can remove the head (four screws), bolt on the ears if you want, and rack-mount it.

11. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    I never really thought my (200 watt) Wizzy combo was particularly designed to have the amp head slipped in and out repeatedly, although you probably could I guess.

On mine there are three screws on each side of the cabinet to secure the head in place. I suppose that makes it removable, right? (Probably not for me!)

I think it's safe to presume the 500 watt iAMP is the same. And Bob G. already pointed the 800 watt head is slightly different.

I went back and checked, and my iAMP 200 C actually came with one page of instructions for inserting the head into the cabinet and screwing it into place. But since my head was already inserted ______ (yeah I know, ha ha, fill in the blank), these instructions admittedly confused me for a while. Then I concluded that these must be "one-time only" setup instructions that had already been completed for me.

Finally, I suppose you could buy the iAMP 200 or 500 head and Wizzy cabinet separately, and basically have the exact same rig as the Wizzy combo amp ...

12. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Thanks for the clarification. I wouldn't want to take it out all the time but just know that it's an easy enough process and that it would be the same head as if it had been purchased separately.

I believe the 800 combo has a different speaker than the 200 and 500.

The 500 would probably be more than enough power anyways.

Thanks again.

13. Nuno A.

Nuno A. Velvet Strings Customer Service

Jul 9, 2001
    SWITZERLAND
    I have the iamp 500 + the Wizzy, light rig, big sound, best money i've spent in bass amplification.

NUNO

14. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    That's right. The 200 and 500 use the Wizzy speaker, and the 800 uses the CxL-112 coax driver.

Tom.

15. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    Just another point fyi comparing the Wizzy speaker and the CxL-112 ... I sent EA an email once asking about something I saw on Bob G's web site about a "house curve around 1KHz". Here is what John Dong at EA had to say:

"The voicing of the Wizzy is similar to that of the CxL-112 from about 400Hz to 2KHz. The CxL-112 has an additional bump about 2.5KHz which gives it a bit of an edge."