Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EA iAmp 800 combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BOOTZY, Mar 28, 2004.

1. BOOTZY

BOOTZY

Mar 4, 2004
    Amal, Sweden
    Hi!
    I bought a EA iAmp 800 combo a month ago and i just got to tell you, what a fantastic amp!

This amp does what i want it to do everytime...clear but warm, articulate and transparent it´s all there. The first thing a noticed was that it had a eq that really works and that is something i missed in all my other amps. At pretty high volumes the smallest change in eq setting will make really make a change in sound. I also noticed that my tone controls on my bass became much more effective.The amp responds incredible well to changes in playingstyle and the "true" sound of each bass you plug in. I play a couple of Peavey Cirrus basses, Fender Jazz and Precision.

This thing is LOUD! But, i dont need to play nearly as loud as before because now i´m hearing myself. Even the bandmates have noticed that my bass sits much better in the mix than before and i have recived compliments on my sound from other bassplayers.

I´m having some trouble with it´s orginial driver, but EA solved this in no time and they´re sending me a new driver to replace the old one. Considering i´m living in sweden ( as you may have guessed, just looking at my spelling...), i think that´s great by EA. They responded in an hour, were very friendly and sent me a PDF with instructions how to replace the driver. I´ve been in this situation before and i know what a hassle this can be.

I just couldn´t be more happy, top notch gear from top notch people.

PS. I´m soon gonna buy a CXL-112 and release all 800 watts, what a nice stack that will be!

Be well,
    Tommy

2. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Sounds great man! If you are going to get another cab you should look into the NL210. That would complement your combo really well.

3. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    Is the amp on the iamp 800 combo removable?? What I'm asking is : could I take it out of the combo cab and use it with other cabs for a different gig??

Any info would be appreciated.

4. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Tjena Tommy!
    Congrats on your new combo! Im really interested in EA myself. Where did you buy yours? Are there any dealers in Sweden?

Jocke

5. BOOTZY

BOOTZY

Mar 4, 2004
    Amal, Sweden
    Yes, it is. You just have to loosen 4 screws to slide out the amp. I have used the amp with 4 other cabs: a GK 4X10, Ampeg Portabass 2x12, Mesa Boogie 1X15 and a Marshall 4X12. It worked great with them all. I like the EA cab best though.

/Bootzy

6. BOOTZY

BOOTZY

Mar 4, 2004
    Amal, Sweden
    Tjena jocke!

I bought mine from Bass Central. They are really great guys, and their prices wont be beat.

There are no dealers in Swedala what i know, but there are one in Norway. But the best way to get EA gear is to import it yourself ( and a lot cheaper...). Even if i would have went to Norway and bought it and transported it home myself it would have cost me 7-8000:- krones more...

Ha det gött! ;) ,
    Tommy

7. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Jocke / Tommy....off topic request here...

There's a Swedish store at www.jam.se that has some amp called JJLabs. I suspect they are Swedish. Any good?

bmc

8. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    They are good for the price. The store designed the amps themself. Its a directimported amp so the price is held low. Haven´t tried them out much. Just in the store. But I´ve heard they break up quite early.

9. BOOTZY

BOOTZY

Mar 4, 2004
    Amal, Sweden
    For their price i think it pretty decent stuff, but it cant compare to EBS in any aspect. But that isn´t what these amps is about, it´s max bang for the buck.

It´s their own brand, i even think that "JJ" stands for Jerker (yepp, that´s his name...it doesn´t mean what you think :rollno: ... in swedish. or do i only have a dirty mind here... ) and Johan the owners...

10. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Bootzy,

Yes, it's a great rig. I use an 800 with one CXL 12L for small to medium sized rooms, and I just love the compact light weight package! I just did a few gigs where you had to lug your gear up a couple lights of stairs. The building was so old there were no elevators. Man, was I glad that the rig was so light weight!

Coupling your 800 combo with another EA cabinet will further your room coverage significantly. Talk about a compact punchy rig with great tone! enjoy! :hyper: :D :hyper: