Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EA iamp 800 users...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jobu3, Jan 24, 2004.

1. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Just ordered one through bassnw... should be here hopefully Friday. (Can't wait!) Anyway, I was wondering if you guys leave a space as recommended? I would like to get just a 2-space rack bag (if only Odyssey made such a beast) if it would not be a major thermal issue. If it is, I will get an Odyssey 3-spacer.

Thoughts, comments, advice?
    :confused: :D
    :bassist:

2. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I've been running an 800 since early spring 2003. They do not run hot at all. I carried my amp around without a rack for about a month and noted that it barely gets even slightly warm. I play only on weekends, so I checked with another friend who plays maybe 6 nights a week with his 800, and he confirmed that his runs cool too. Thus, I felt pretty comfortable with putting it into a light weight 2 space X rack, since I'm going for a light weight rig (what's the use in buying a light weight head if you're going to put it into a heavy rack?). Ofcourse, the exception would be if you go on the road, then you'll want to put it into a big heavy shock-proof rack.

One other thing to note is that many of the shallow racks which would fit this head don't have rear mounting ears. A number of TBers suggested that you install a block(s) of packing foam at the rear between the head and the rack shell to lessen the stress on the front ears. I've done this and it works very well! make sure that you don't block any vents.

3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    What PREFAB said. Mine runs cool, and I keep it in a three-space rack that's barely deeper than the iamp with a preamp in the top rack space. It may be that the 800 has so much headroom that it doesn't need to run hot for what I'm doing.

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    My iAMP 800 runs very cool, too. I wouldn't hesitate to put it in a 2-space rack.

Tom.

5. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Mine's been pushed pretty hard in a 2-space gig bag for months now, and no issues at all.

6. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Thanks for the info guys... Can't wait to get it and plug 'er in! ;)

7. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    I use mine in a shallow SKB 3 space rack - no issues.

This is from the EA website

Mike

8. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    Mike,
    Any word on when the Iamp 500 will be shipping?

9. PBass

PBass

Nov 8, 2000
    Euphonic Audio
    They started shipping this past Monday.

10. Copycat

Copycat Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    Big Joe: Sent you a PM about a case I just ordered for the iAMP 800 that's soon to be delivered to me. Might be of interest.

11. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Hey, Copycat. Any chance of you sharing the info on that case with me as well? I was really hoping that they would come out with a gig bag for the iAMP 800. I have considered having one custom made for me my NY Undercover (who did a great job on a custom cover for my CX-310), or possibly using a 2-space soft rack.

Thanks, Tom.

12. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Yeah man, send me the info too!

13. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    I recently cancelled my order for a gig bag for the 500. I found something much better - my daughter's old diaper bag. It is not some fancy diaper bag, but a tough cordura bag, large enough to fit the 500 comfortably and tons of pockets for cords, music, etc.

Mike

14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Sounds like a great anti-theft measure too, Mike.

15. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    not to mention that lingering smell of diaper wipes :D

16. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Mike,

where did you buy that diaper bag? if it's a chain store (Sears, Kmart, Macys, etc.) that we have here in Hawaii, I'm going to go out and buy one too.

17. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    I didn't buy it at a chain. but I am sure that you can find similar in a baby store

Mike

18. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    I actually went with a Warwick rock bag... Scratch and dent at MF. A whopping $28 SHIPPED!!! :smug:

Awaiting its arrival tonight. (and hopefully the 800 as well...) ;)

19. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    The rockbag just got here. The blem being that the inner wooden shell is cracked slightly on the left. Not a big deal to me... Nice enough rack though. A little heavy if you ask me, but it will certainly do the job adequately... Sadly no iamp until Monday. :( :spit: