1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Easiest recording software

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by robd, Mar 13, 2013.

1. robd

robd Supporting Member

I picked up an 8 channel computer interface to stick in the basement to record practice and jam sessions.

What is the easiest software to record with.

I used to have a Yamaha AW1600 digital recorder that was super easy to use, pretty much a mixing board with record buttons.

Is there anything out there thats easy to use? Maybe something that has a gui that looks like a mixer?

The guitarist has sonar and is super good with it so he will do all the effects, mixing etc. I just need to be able to record the 8 wave files and then he can take it home and do the rest.

Thanks

2. Chromer

Chromer

Nov 28, 2012
    Pretty much any of the major DAWs can be set up to be ready to record in one click after you open them, but you'll want to set up a project template ahead of time that maps your 8 inputs to 8 tracks and arms all the tracks for record, and maybe do something with aux channels assigned to outputs if you want to send back custom monitoring mixes. Set that as your default "new project" template and off you go!

You can probably strike Ableton Live from your list. Live doesn't understand takes yet. It's great for electronic/loop based stuff, not so much for capturing a bunch of takes and then comping them.

Download the demos and give 'em a try!

3. Wagz

Wagz

May 2, 2012
    Milwaukee, WI
    If you want to keep costs low, there are a few free open-source options.
    For really simple recording of 2 channels or less, look for Audacity
    And if you want more than 2 channels, and your interface supports it, look for Kristal Audio Engine.
    They both get the job done in Windows and they're easy to use.

4. avvie

avvie

Oct 12, 2010
    Maui, HI
    REAPER

5. My favorite is reaper. You can download it and try it for free after 30 days they ask that you pay I think $40. They have tutorials on YouTube to show you how to do everything. I also have protools but reaper is my choice for all the demos i do. I use several virtual instruments like Steven slate drums for programming drums with midi for demos and east west quantum leap for adding orchestral instruments that are recordings of real instruments that are sampled and controllable with midi(sounds amazing but takes up a chunk of your hardrive). The other benefit of reaper over pro tools is it does not limit your tracks. Protools forces you to upgrade if you want more tracks and more plugin compatibility. As for the benefit of protools. With protools you can easily make videos. You can attach the video to a track then put your own audio on other tracks so If you want to make a cheap music video with the studio version of the song or if you want to get all pink Floyd with it you can actually make a movie and write the music to go along with it.

6. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Mixcraft is the easiest full featured DAW available.

7. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    The guitarist should read the ELU for Sonar. He can install it on several computers including yours. He can only use 1 instance at any 1 time.

When he's at rehearsal, he can use your computer, when he's at home he can use his.

He will not need to re-register on each computer he installs it on. Same registration.

You can't use his license though, but you might want to look into Sonar yourself. It is a great package, easy to use, and scales up to great to complex recording and DAW tasks. Having a buddy that knows Sonar well is a giant help in the learning curve. You'll learn a lot by just seeing what others do with it.

8. robd

robd Supporting Member

Thanks, I'll look into all these suggestions

9. IPYF

IPYF

Mar 31, 2011
    This.

I'm a complete REAPER fanboi. :hyper:

10. powerdimer

powerdimer

Jun 9, 2009
    +1

Cheap and professional ($37?), and a great online community to help you use it and develop your skills.

11. +1 on Sonar, but lots of good suggestions here. Sonar X2 Essentials is $99, pretty good price considering what you get for the money.

I strongly suggest factoring into your decision the quality of the user community supporting the tool. However easy your toolset is to use, you WILL have questions and problems, it's just the nature of the beast. Generally speaking, the more popular the software, the larger and more helpful the user community that can help you with the inevitable questions. Cakewalk does a great job supporting a large and really quite valuable user community.