1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

East Tennessee Talkbass

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Michael Vee, Jan 25, 2011.

1. bass10bfb

bass10bfb Prophet Low End Provider Gold Supporting Member

May 5, 2011
    Newport, TN.
  2. Jeff Roller

Jeff Roller Jeff Roller Gold Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Maryville, TN
    I have the NV412, fantastic cab.
    I bet this one is as sweet and only half the load!

JEDI BASS likes this.
  3. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2011
    Knoxville
    People do it in the various "club" threads, so I think you're good. That caught my eye, esp that price, but I'm in the market for ported. Love seeing good gear pop up locally, though.

4. Gig report: A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum at Oak Ridge Playhouse. We are in techs 4/23 through 4/26. Perfs are this Fri and Sat, 4/27-4/28 at 8 PM, Thurs-Sat, 5/3-5/5 at 8 PM, Sun, 5/6 at 2 PM, and the final weekend is Fri-Sat, 5/11 and 5/12 at 8 PM and Sun, 5/14 at 2 PM. Here is the ticket link. Here's the Oak Ridger Online article on the show.

This is the third time I've played Forum, so it must be one I enjoy! Eight piece show band- piano/keys, bass, drums, two trumpets, four woodwinds. Fun score, ace musicians. Two are on-air announcers for WUOT-FM: Melony Dodson (music director/piano/keys) and Brandon Hollingsworth (bass clarinet). We are performing in the rehearsal room at ORP and are mic'ed and DI'ed into the auditorium sound system.

Forum gear: Zenith fretted bass, Quilter Bass Block 800 head, one Acme B-1 cab. DI is pre-eq from the Quilter balanced out. As usual, running the bass control on the Quilter about 9 o'clock, a substantial amount of low-end cut, due to the amazing depth of the Acme B-1 cab. If you have never played through an Acme, they are impressively huge-sounding for their tiny size.

capture.JPG

Last edited: May 2, 2018
  5. Jeff Elkins

Jeff Elkins Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2007
    East Tennessee
    I got to play that with the Tusculum Arts Outreach last year. What a FUN show!

I’m envious of your pit. We had one reeds player, no brass.

Have a great run!

Michael Vee likes this.
  6. Thanks, Jeff! Glad you got to play it. It IS a lot of fun.

7. JEDI BASS

JEDI BASS

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    My band Kategory Five will be playing at Ridge Runners (Warehouse Rd in Oak Ridge) tomorrow 4/27 from 9p to 1a. It’s a nice venue with great acoustics, good food, pool tables, and friendly staff. Last time there, the crowd danced all evening and they booked us as many nights as we could handle... it was a great night!

Come see us and introduce yourself to me and the band!

8. BWB

BWB

Aug 30, 2000
    Knoxville TN
    Haven't been on here in a long time - Michael Vee is still here - how's everyone doing?

Still doing the odd Alien Love Charm gig though I'm not really in the band anymore - kind of a rotating cast of bass players. I am playing with them 5/4 at Brackins.

State Street Rhythm Section has been on hiatus for a couple of years now. We occasionally end up playing a gig with a fill-in drummer but it's been a while -

The main thing I'm doing at the moment is a Steely Dan tribute band called The Fine Colombians - we just played a really good gig at the Open Chord on 4/7. 9 piece band with every player in town :)

The Fine Colombians: A Steely Dan Tribute

Scott

PDGood, JEDI BASS, Thumpin_P and 2 others like this.
  9. Good to see you back on here, Scott. It's been a while back that you and I got to hang out and get acquainted.. too long!

Congrats on the Fine Columbians! What a great idea. I still am a Steely Dan fan. That's one band you very seldom hear covered live, but you guys have the sound down. Those girls.. the vocals are perfect. Darn good bass player too.. ETTB'ers - go see the FC Facebook page.

I'm watching the Josie video.. sounds terrific, Scott! Good to see you playing up front in the video angle.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
    JEDI BASS, Thumpin_P and Jeff Elkins like this.
  10. Jeff Elkins

Sep 13, 2007
    East Tennessee
    Thumpin_P and Michael Vee like this.
  11. Jeff Elkins

Sep 13, 2007
    East Tennessee
    That was terrific!

12. Jeff Roller

Dec 24, 2007
    Maryville, TN
    I would love to come see you play with these guys, but I'm with Hillbilly Jedi that night at Barley's in Maryville. I'm going to make it to a show one day soon, I'll be the old guy in the "Third Obsession" t-shirt!

13. I saw my opening post in the ETTB thread just now. My goodness, we've been doing this ETTB thing for seven years?!?! :woot:

It's been already five years ago that we did the first GTG (the well-attended one!) at Jeff's church in Maryville. Time moves along..

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
    JEDI BASS and Thumpin_P like this.
  14. Jeff Roller

Dec 24, 2007
    Maryville, TN
    We should plan a ten year reunion for that GTG in 2023......

15. JEDI BASS

JEDI BASS

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    That would be great!!!

Wow! A Third Obsession shirt! Hope I see you someday! I need to make it to a Hillbilly Jedi show too!

Michael Vee likes this.
  16. BWB

BWB

Aug 30, 2000
    Knoxville TN
    Glad you liked the Fine Colombians video. I'm playing my backup bass in that vid - a stock Squier Precision tuned a full step low to D. Not bad for $60 at the pawn shop.

I bought that bass for a specific purpose. I have a yearly gig on the 3rd Friday in May in Dayton, OH during a trade show I attend every year. What started out 10 years ago as 4 of us goofing off in the corner of a hotel ballroom playing bluegrass evolved into a having a stage, a big rented PA, video screens and 300-400 people in attendance. I was leaving my main bass locked either in a vehicle or a hotel room for 5 days at a time without me being around to guard it and it was freaking me out a little, so I bought the black Squier to play 1 hour a year :)

I'm now in the process of putting a pair of Bartolini's in it to replace the stock pickups and adding a new pickguard - the one on there is cracked through at the cable jack input. If I'm going to be actually using it for a live gig it needs to have a little more ... zing. And the yearly gig is coming up shortly.

Scott

bass10bfb, JEDI BASS, PDGood and 2 others like this.
  17. PDGood

PDGood Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    I have swapped out some P bass pickups in the past and have been surprised to find that the result it not always an upgrade. Apparently, it's pretty easy to make a decent sounding one. I replaced Peavey's with Fenders and while a little different, neither really sounded significantly better than the other. If you're going to try something different, the original Fender '62s or '63s are easy to find and sound good. The Bartolini pickups I've had in the past (which I admit were not P pickups) are brittle in the highs to my ears which is the opposite of what a Fender sounds like to me. Maybe their P's are different or maybe you have a different outlook - just sharing with you what info I have.

18. I'll have to agree with PDGood here. I've never been a fan of Barts, but admittedly, I have limited experience with them. If you must change the P pups out, I would suggest either Nordys or EMG Geezers. I have used the Nordstrands and the EMG's get rave reviews around here.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
    Michael Vee, Thumpin_P and bass10bfb like this.
  19. JEDI BASS

JEDI BASS

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    Barts didn’t end up in Laklands, Tobias, Pedulla, Warrior and countless other boutique basses by accident. They’re not for everyone though, and not a pickup brand I think of when thinking of split P replacements.

Personally, I’m not a split P fan unless the tone pot is removed. Pickup and volume alone will make a P come alive, IMO.

Michael Vee and Thumpin_P like this.
  20. Jeff Roller

Dec 24, 2007
    Maryville, TN
    My favorite bass so far is my Bart equipped 99 Dingwall Z2. I actually replaced them with modern Dingwall pickups, played it one gig and couldn't put the barts back in fast enough!

Michael Vee, Thumpin_P and JEDI BASS like this.