1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

East Tennessee Talkbass

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Michael Vee, Jan 25, 2011.

1. I have 3 basses with Barts.
    • SX short-scale J-bass with old unknown model Barts from Bill Bartolini era
    • Ibanez Cerro 4 string with the usual Mk1 import soapbars
    • Warmoth J-bass with the latest B-Axis pickups from Clark-era Bartolini
    All different from each other but then all very responsive to string choice.

I was a big EMG actives guy back in the 80's and 90's. I like the sound of Barts better in recent years.

Last edited: May 3, 2018
  2. PDGood

PDGood Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    That's the cool thing about music, everyone has different ears and we will never all like the same things but it's all good. My experience with Barts is with the MK1s and MK4s. Of course, I'm hearing them on basses that also have the Ibanez preamp so it's hard to separate which is contributing what part of the sound. I would just say that they are not Fender sounding to my ears which seems to be the goal in this case.

ljazz and Jeff Roller like this.
  3. BWB

BWB

Aug 30, 2000
    Knoxville TN
    The Nordstrand NP4's I have in my main bass sound oh, so, so good. But they're expensive for a bass I am going to play for one song a night. The Bartolini's were bought used, cheap. This is a budget bass operation. I don't even have a case or gig bag. I've been carrying it around by the strap from place to place for . .. . . . 4 years now? I didn't have a use for it other than the Ohio gig once a year until I needed a bass tuned to D to play one song when we started the Steely Dan tribute band last fall.

4. ljazz

ljazz

Dec 10, 2002
    Cookeville, TN
    We'll be opening at the Shed tomorrow evening. Big stage, so I'll break out the 810 to plug my Shaw B150 into.....
    20170708_203804.

I have the stock CS pup in my CS'59 P. I love it. I've contemplated putting a SD Antiquity in my '08 AmStd P, but it sounds good with the OV'62 pup I put in.

Question for everyone..... Does anyone know of a local shop that carries Sadowsky Blue Label Flats? I'm trying to get my hands on a set or two of the original version.

bass10bfb, Thumpin_P and Jeff Elkins like this.
  5. BWB

BWB

Aug 30, 2000
    Knoxville TN
    Here's the finished product. Squier bass with used Bartolini pickups, tort pick guard, paint job at the top of the neck, knobs stolen off a dead Bogen PA amp. Total investment: $114. I need a hard shell case. Who in Knoxville has my beat up hard shell case for this sucker?

6. JEDI BASS

JEDI BASS

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    Actually, I have the ugliest HSC ever, I don’t mind one bit to give it to you. It’s somewhere in my garage.

BWB, Thumpin_P and Jeff Elkins like this.
  7. JEDI BASS

JEDI BASS

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    Squier P looks great BTW

Thumpin_P likes this.
  8. Every time I see a good beater parts bass like Scott's P, I think, "Smart move." It's nice to have a lusty boutique bass, if one can afford one, but a beater is practical on so many levels. And that is a nice looking parts bass. It's fun to put them together, and if you use good parts, you can end up with a good-sounding bass.

$114??

Last edited: May 2, 2018
    Thumpin_P likes this.
  9. Local to Cookeville or to Knoxville? Knoxville doesn't have a true guitar music store of our own anymore.

Blue Labels! What great strings! Sadowsky Guitars does not have a Blue Label page at present, so they must be making the strings sporadically.

Jason at Bassstringsonline stocks them on an availability basis, but not at the moment. Here's an Amazon source if you choose to buy from them.

Last edited: May 2, 2018
    Thumpin_P likes this.
  10. ljazz

ljazz

Dec 10, 2002
    Cookeville, TN
    I'd be happy to find them anywhere within a few hour drive of Cookeville. I've tried Jason at BSOL..... He doesn't have any of the old version Blue Label Flats.... Only the new version coming in.

I'm hoping to find a set or two that has been sitting on someone's shelf for a year.

I tried Amazon, but no Flats.

If anyone has a set laying around, I'd love to take them off your hands!

Thumpin_P likes this.
  11. BWB

BWB

Aug 30, 2000
    Knoxville TN
    Pawn shop Squier P-bass $60, used Bartolini's $39, tort pickguard eBay $15. $114.

The practical part is simple. I don't have to worry about it getting banged up, stolen, broken. It's already kind of banged up - you can't see it in the picture but the sides of the body have 6 or 7 pretty good dings all the way down to the wood.

Thumpin_P and JEDI BASS like this.
  12. JEDI BASS

JEDI BASS

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    And, after spending a few hundred on tools, I can do the fret work needed to make a beater play and feel like a boutique. I just finished my first refret, and 3rd fret level, crown and polish. I also sand and refin the necks in tung or tru oil. It’s phenomenal what a difference it makes to the playability.

Thumpin_P likes this.
  13. PDGood

PDGood Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    I've discovered the joys of an unfinished/oiled neck too, although I had to do it to a cigar box guitar to have the balls to start sanding. Haven't done a bass that way yet.

Thumpin_P likes this.
  14. JEDI BASS

JEDI BASS

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    I taped off the fretboard edges to protect the dots, and to keep me from exposing the fret ends. I also taped near the headstock. I then lightly went over the transitions, from oil to poly, with fine grit sandpaper so I can't feel an edge. So far, I've done this on a '79 Ibanez, an '85 Ibanez, and a '80 Peavey T-40 that I refretted. The bassists that have played them, liked the feel a lot.

PDGood likes this.
  15. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Jul 7, 2010
    Florida
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6, Hipshot, GHS Strings, Somnium Guitars
    I live in florida but own a 2nd home in Newport...does that count?

iamoldschool, bass10bfb and JEDI BASS like this.
  16. JEDI BASS

JEDI BASS

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    Only if we can vacay in your Fla home.

17. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Jul 7, 2010
    Florida
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6, Hipshot, GHS Strings, Somnium Guitars
    Hmm..been thinking of 6months at each!

bass10bfb and JEDI BASS like this.
  18. 39, are you from Newport originally? You must be- that's the only way I can figure out that connection.

bass10bfb likes this.
  19. Jeff Elkins

Jeff Elkins Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2007
    East Tennessee
    39, welcome! Let us know when you’re around. We don’t check in with each other too regularly, but we’re always looking for a reason to!

MVee—wish I could! Wrapping up a big project before we travel out west for business and pleasure. Have a great closing run!

Dude—your drummer also has a keyboard. That seems kind of dangerous. Also, what is it with young, talented drummers these days? I haven’t worked a pit with one over age 22 in YEARS.

Thumpin_P and 39-Bassist like this.
  20. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Jul 7, 2010
    Florida
    No actually went from Ohio to Florida and then lots of vacation time in the PF, Gat area...then found a sweet deal on a small cabin in Newport and has a good view...so...:thumbsup:

Thumpin_P and JEDI BASS like this.