1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Eastwood Classic

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xbvh93, Aug 7, 2012.

1. xbvh93

xbvh93

Aug 7, 2012
    Hi everyone,

I'm relatively new to the world of basses, though I've had an old Fender copy for a couple of years which I've played a little. I'm really keen to buy myself a bass (my one is on loan from a friend), and I'm a big fan of the semi-hollowbody variety. Unfortunately it seems that semi-hollowbody and cheap rarely are said in the same sentence. However, I came across Eastwood guitars, and am interested in their Classic 4 model:

http://www.eastwoodguitars.com/

I was just wondering whether anybody had any experience with them, whether this is a reputable brand, any better alternatives etc etc. Please forgive my current ignorance, and thanks in advance for any help.

2. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    I had one of their Gibson LP Jr. models that I purchased used. It wasn't very good.

3. Ibanez artcore, Epiphone Jack Casady, and even the Gretsch Electromatic Series are a lot better than those. They're cool looking, but lack a lot in quality, and need extensive set up work when they're first purchased. I'd look elsewhere.

4. ubnomnar

ubnomnar Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    So Cal
    Never owned an Eastwood so I had to take a peek. After all... a picture's worth a 1000 words.

[​IMG]

Very cool...

5. RootNoteRadical

RootNoteRadical

Dec 8, 2011
    I have a EASTWOOD classic 4 mind you its a left hand instrument and it is very nice. Great construction and finish, all that it needed was a PRO setup with my favorite brand of strings. It really is a great bass.

6. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    The Bass Whisperer did a review on YouTube; sounds pretty good!

The bridge looks as though the range of adjustability is very limited. Did you experience any difficulty intonating your Eastwood?

7. RootNoteRadical

RootNoteRadical

Dec 8, 2011
    I had mine set up by a pro. The place I usually by basses from gives you free set ups for a year, and they do awesome work.

8. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    A few years ago Eastwood sent me an instrument they "forgot" to install a truss rod in but that still made it past final inspection. That kinda put them on my avoid list.
    I'd spend a few extra bucks on a used Epi Jack Casady. That's a bass you might have the rest of your life.

9. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I haven't had an Eastwood, but I've heard they are a good mid-quality instrument. No experience, though.

I have a used Casady and it's a very good instrument, but it's 34" scale and the Eastwood is 30.5". Definitely a worthwhile bass, and under $600 used if you work at it.

This style of bridge is pretty easy to intonate - you move the entire bridge, and angle it slightly if needed. I've never had one fail to intonate, but I'm not OCD about getting intonation within one cent - that's just silly.

The Artcores from Ibanez are well thought of and less expensive, especially used.

Be aware that basses in this style come in 30", 32" and 34" scales. Make sure you look at an instrument that meets your preference!

10. xbvh93

xbvh93

Aug 7, 2012
    Thanks for all the advice. As far as scale goes, I'd prefer a shorter scale bass, though I can play any scale, I find the shorter it is the easier for me. I've looked at the Ibanez Artcore basses and wondered if I should get one. The biggest hurdle for me is the fact that I live in NZ, where it's a real challenge sourcing anything. Most companies only ship to the US, and our music shops here are very brand loyal, meaning there isn't much variety. I love the Jack Casady bass, but unfortunately I just can't afford it, otherwise I would be playing one right now :(

11. Steven1207

Steven1207

Sep 27, 2010
    While I don't own any Eastwood basses I have played a few and I own a few Eastwood guitars and I've always been fond of them. The sound, feel and quality on all the examples I've tried have been top notch.

12. I a/b'd an eastwood and a casady in a store, and walked out with the casady, hands down, on quality alone.

13. xbvh93

xbvh93

Aug 7, 2012
    One bass I've always dreamed of owning was a Harmony H22. Sadly a good one is far out of my budget. I heard they did a reissue though, anyone had any experience with that?

14. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Just got a Classic 4 on Monday, my second Eastwood bass. Very happy with it, high quality, very nice neck, good tones. Would I prefer a different bridge? Yes, but I've got close to 20 years regular gigging on a Hofner with that same bridge, with zero problems, intonation or otherwise, so I'm fine with it.

15. I think the problem with Eastwood isn't quality as much as it's QC. Some are good, and some are crap, and ordering one online is going to be like Russian Roulette.

16. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

17. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
  18. pjmuck

pjmuck

Feb 8, 2006
    New Joisey
    I own 3 Eastwood basses: the Airline Map Bass, Hi Flyer (Mosite copy), and EEB-1 (Ampeg scroll copy). Eastwood has used a few different manufacturing plants over the years, and the QC and level of quality can be directly attributed to each. Their price points reflect as much too. The Map bass is MIK, and easily the highest quality of the three I own (also their most expensive bass), while the Hi Flyer is MIC and is clearly an inferior (and much cheaper) instrument. But I believe Eastwood has since moved their MIC operations to a better, more consistent manufacturer.

Eastwood is a good company though, with excellent CS. I cracked the PUP ring on my Hi Flyer and Mike sent me a whole new PUP. I think the Classic 4 is a solid instrument. If only they offered it lefty in the white finish. Poor man's Gretsch White Falcon.

19. jumbodbassman

jumbodbassman Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Stuck in traffic -NY & CT
    Born Again Tubey
    I haven't played that model but i had a high flyer and it was a quality instrument.

20. I'd like to try one again, but our Eastwood Dealer her really, really sucks.