1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Eastwood Sidejack VI vs. Squier Bass VI

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chicken Wing, May 12, 2019.

1. Chicken Wing

Chicken Wing

Mar 26, 2017
    Hi all,

I play in a band where I will end up using a VI for about half our set. Has anyone played both the Sidejack and the Squier? Is the Sidejack worth the extra cost? Is the quality or sound much better?

I haven’t been able to find a comparison video.

Thank you!

B-Mac likes this.
  2. Chicken Wing

Chicken Wing

Mar 26, 2017
    Or, for any Sidejack owners, can you comment on sound and build quality?

I know lots of folks end up modding the Squier and I am the type of guy to put in pickups, bridge, etc and part of me just wants to buy something that’s ready to rock hard.

3. Rambazamba

Rambazamba

Dec 14, 2012
    Berlin
    I don't know about the Sidejack but the Squier VI loses almost all its issues when you put a set of flatwounds on and gently shim the neck. But there are lots of alternatives: The Danelectro Baritone guitars are 30" scale as well. You can string these up as a VI, too, and they are much easier to set up than the Squier. Same for the Gretsch G5265. If you're looking for a more modern sound, there's the Ibanez SRC6, which is more of a bass than a guitar.

ihaveaquestion likes this.
  4. B-Mac

B-Mac Sorting Things Out Supporting Member

You could always ask Michael Robinson at. Info@eastwoodguitars.com
    They have a vid using the Eastwood Side jack VI on a Stevie Wonder song on bass, rhythm and lead

5. kjp360

kjp360

Feb 11, 2014
    Didn't the Squier VI just get a revamp for this model year? I have not seen one in a store here in Canada yet but they might be available in the US now...?

lizardking837 likes this.
  6. Chicken Wing

Chicken Wing

Mar 26, 2017
    I know the name changed - one is and Vintage Modified the other Classic Vibe but I don’t know what’s different other than Olympic White being gone.

I’d love to find someone that owns a Sidejack VI to get their take on it. Doubtful I can ever A/B them in store because these are relatively niche axes.

7. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    Split the difference in both design and price: get an Eastwood TB64.
    [​IMG]
    I have a 2014 VM Bass VI and love it. I had to drop about two hour's time, a couple sleeves on the bridge posts and some heavier strings to make it play and perform properly. The sleeves and strings ran me $20. I later added a Duncan preamp and changed all the plastic to black, which added about $100 more to the cost, which now totaled about $500. I can't speak on the Eastwood, but I'm sure it's well made. However, I would be hard pressed to spend $1000 on a reissue or reproduction type VI.

bholder and B-Mac like this.
  8. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    Whoa! Simply the best video demo of a bass-VI type instrument I've ever seen, by far. Thanks.

@Chicken Wing:
    if you edit the title ("Eastman" -> "Eastwood") you might get more responses, and future forum-searchers may have access to whatever good content, including the video linked above, ends being added herein.

B-Mac likes this.
  9. B-Mac

@Chicken Wing; as @HaphAsSard has stated it would behoove you to use 'thread tools' and revise your thread title as 'Eastman' does not make bass guitars....at least not yet. They do make some beautiful $$ archtop guitars though.
    'Eastwood' is what you're after.
    You may also want to ask here too The Official Eastwood Bass Club

Chicken Wing likes this.
  10. B-Mac

Ed Friedland puts one through the motions

11. B-Mac

If they made this with a Maple FB I'd be on it like white on rice!

12. Chicken Wing

Chicken Wing

Mar 26, 2017
    Thank you all

B-Mac likes this.
  13. B-Mac

RedVee, bigtone23 and HaphAsSard like this.
  14. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    I already have a 2014 VM Squier Bass VI (that I bought new in 2014) and modded a good bit to make it a killer VI. Had this TB64 been available when I got mine, I would have probably gone this route. I mean, it's pretty unique and comes in green or black (my two go-to colors). The switches are kinda in the way of my playing style, but that's easily fixed. Do what I did to my VI: Black guard, move the switches to lower horn, transform that rhythm/solo switch for series/parallel and add the Duncan blackouts preamp. Done and done!

15. Chicken Wing

Chicken Wing

Mar 26, 2017
    The TB64 sounds great. Wow, it’s got a big amount of low end. More so than the Sidejack or Squier (as far as I can tell). Thanks for the share

16. RedVee

RedVee

Dec 24, 2014
    Australia
    Can I ask - what is the significance of a Teisco tremolo system ?

17. B-Mac

I have never played a Bass VI, but I am guessing that when you're playing it more like a guitar (see the vids), especially like a lead guitar, it comes in handy.

18. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    The trem can be nice for guitar-ish things. I'm contemplating getting this hardtail conversion plate for my VI, as I use it as a bass. The trem arm is still in it's sealed package, 5 years after buying my VI!
    [​IMG]

19. RedVee

RedVee

Dec 24, 2014
    Australia
    Yeah, I meant specifically for the Teisco tremolo vs other tremolos,

20. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I have that exact one and love it. Low twang for days. Also have the matching 12 string, also with tremolo! :D:cool::smug:

B-Mac likes this.