1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ebay ads that make you go hmmmm....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Vakmere, Mar 13, 2009.

1. Vakmere

Vakmere

Sep 6, 2007
    Philly
    Ebay ads that make you go Hmmmm

On this planet everything is for sale. Keeping it real goes by the wayside sometimes while honesty goes hand in hand with stretching the truth. Most of us here have had some experience with buying gear off Ebay and I’m sure you’ve seen some item descriptions that you know just ain’t right. Here are my top 10 ads that I found amusing and make me go Hmmmm. I’m sure you have a few also……

10. A full page of copy and pasted item description from the instrument web page followed by a one line ambiguous disclaimer by the seller of the bass.

9. Missing 1 knob, a ding on the horn, some buckle rash, other than that it’s like new.

8. Killer sound, best sounding bass I’ve ever heard. Pots are a little scratchy but you can’t hear it while playing.

7. Hazy photos of a big money bass taken with a poor quality camera phone.

6. Close up of that killer sounding bass headstock with 2 purple, 1 red, and 2 unwrapped strings wound around the peg 6+ times.

5. Shipping $100 for a $200 item. (To go from NYC to Philly?). Somebody’s burying the Ebay and PayPal fees in there somewhere.

4. My wife says I have too many basses, must sell.
    (Try unloading 2 pairs of her shoes and see what happens)

3. No case or gig bag but it will be wrapped to avoid damage.

2. I’ve owned this bass for 10 years.
    Q. What strings are on it?
    A. I don’t know.

1. :D And my winning pick-----

I paid $6000 for this base brand new 5 years ago, never played or gigged with and has sat in my closet ever since. Never used it once. Only has a couple light scratches and a small ding around the jack area.

Hmmmmmmm………..LOL :rolleyes:

2. I love the ones that say "bass has never been played....plays (or sounds) like a dream" in the same sentence. Just saw that again last night. :D What gets me the most is the crappy photos. You'd think if somebody really cared or wanted to sell something, they'd take clear, up close photos. But nooo.....

3. "I am selling this for a friend. I know nothing about bass guitars."

Hmmm...why the hell doesn't your friend sell his own bass?

4. mothmonsterman

mothmonsterman

Feb 8, 2006
    "CUSTOM ONE OF A KIND!!!"
    "great look for metal"
    after the poor thing was run through a band saw and left in a barrel or water for 6 months to rust.

5. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    I've actually done this for people, though I know a bit about the item. Not everyone sells on ebay, or has a high feedback count to make a high dollar value item hit its potential. That is if they are being honest and not just trying to keep ignorance as an excuse for any issues....

6. Maybe, but in my experience it is trying to be ignorant as an excuse for issues. Regardless, I avoid them like the plague!

7. Thanks for sharing. I'm having a gnarly day and, sitting here slowly eating some lunch, I came across your quote. You're brilliant: You MUST send a little msg to the seller, if just to remove him/her/it off the street. That's just my opinion, obviously. I don't work for Interpol or what have you.
    :bag:

8. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    los angeles
    i saw one today that only says this:

Great Condition Fender Bass Guitar
    This great condition Fender Bass Guitar is still the most popular Bass guitar today, for both its powerful sound and international recognition. This instrument is the true essence of a Bass guitar and its capabilities. Wether you are a professional player or just a beginner, this fits people of all ages and talents. This price can't be beat by anyone else on Ebay, or by any music supplier around. Take this offer and change your musical life forever.

and it has a small stock photo of a classic 70s jazz. with a description like that, how do i know that the bass for sale matches the picture?

9. I almost did send a message, but then I thought better of it. I figure if somebody is dumb enough to write something like that, then they're not smart enough to understand my note. :D

10. Buy it and find out! :D;)

11. davec

davec Supporting Member Commercial User

May 4, 2006
    bartlett illinois
    Owner; Cody Electric Basses
    I've found more just straight rip-off-counterfeit attempts of Craigslist. I love to jerk with the franken-jazz with counterfeit Fender logos guys.

"great looking J it's a '76."

"Uhm, I think so, I don't really know a lot about, other than I bought it for 500.00 three years ago"

"I'll meet you at Starbuck @ ..... at 7 Am" YEAH

12. p0werslav3

p0werslav3

Feb 21, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    "4. My wife says I have too many basses, must sell.
    (Try unloading 2 pairs of her shoes and see what happens)" :D

13. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville

Really no difference than people here in the Classifieds who post threads selling basses and don't put photo's at all, or horrible photo's if any... I just don't get it. If visuals didn't matter we wouldn't have TV or graphics based web browsers.

14. My other hobby is riding bicycles, and there are some amusing ads for bike equipment too. "Top-of-the-line racing bike, with matching helmet, shoes, shorts, jersey, water bottles, etc. Ridden twice. Less than 20 miles on it." Really dedicated to the sport aren't we?

Or "Ridden less than 50 miles ... professionally maintained by pro team mechanic". Um, if it only has 50 miles on it, why has it ever needed any maintenance?

15. gonzilla

gonzilla

Jan 26, 2009
  16. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    I like the ads that describe the bass as "mint" or "no scratches" and they take pics of it laying in the driveway or on a concrete sidewalk.

17. WRXbase

WRXbase

Jan 14, 2009
    Clayton, NC
  18. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    1) Squier Neck
    2) That is NOT a Fender Bridge
    3) Can anyone name a Fender P that had a single pup like that since 1950?

19. gonzilla

gonzilla

Jan 26, 2009
    Even worse-

In summation, he's passing off a Squier as a Fender and trying to sell it at $250 (they're $150 at Guitar Center). Meanwhile, he's advertising it as ""Like Brand New". Does that mean he threw it down the stairs, but while it was in the original box?

How the hell else can something be LIKE Brand New?

20. gonzilla

gonzilla

Jan 26, 2009
    You win. I think it's a Squier Bronco, as far as I can tell.