1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ebay buyer from Hell

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Stephen Hurley, Sep 21, 2018.

1. Stephen Hurley

Stephen Hurley Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2015
    Alexandria,La
    12AB0786-8037-421D-B50C-278BB1803422. So I wanted to share this story with some fellow talkbassers.
    Backstory:
    I have used eBay for about 8 years activley buying and selling basses. I have a 277 preferred seller, 100% rating. I set up all of my own instruments and am fairly adept at doing so.

I posted a Marcus Miller V7 on eBay for a killer price. It was in great condition. I really wanted a shortscale bass because my body is not was it used to be.
    A fellow from Chicago bought it. I immediately shipped out. The Saturday He received it I received a PM telling me my setup was terrible and I was stupid for not sending him the hex keys. (Honestly I had forgotten to send him the keys but I never said I’m the description it included hex keys). I, like most other people have a set of metric hex keys so I never utilized the ones send with it.
    I let the buyer know I would send him the keys on Monday even though I probably shouldn’t have since he was so rude.
    Next message; he asks if it has a warranty and makes a comment in the area of “I thought you were a good seller so I thought you would, but go figure”. (Really? I warranty from a used private seller? It didn’t have a warranty in the first place because I didn’t buy direct)Or something of that sort. I told him politely I thought he was rude and if he needed something he should ask people nicely.
    He continued to go off and call me stupid, don’t know what I’m doing...etc.
    I thought the funny thing was that he refrred to the setup of the G string as the “high B”.
    At this point I’m like “this guy is something else”.
    He threatened to file a return and a case because he didn’t have the proper .88 cent hex key. I told him I didn’t accept returns unless the bass was damaged and that he could not return it because he didn’t like my set up.

Side note: I prefer low action. But as most people know, some jazz style bridge saddles tend to slide down a little bit on occasion.
    I told him I wasn’t going get into an argument with him because I thought he was a kid.
    I would’ve swore it was an entitled rude kid. He got angry and said he was 58 and that I was probably a kid.
    After all of this, me being the humble seller I am, I would still send him the key I used. From there he told me to “shove the keys up my a**” and kept calling me a “monkey boy”. (I know right??)
    I told him sounds like a sad human being and to get his own keys and to enjoy the bass. He continued with more messages telling call me a “broke b****” and that he would let all of eBay know what a “goofy f***” I was.
    At this point I don’t care. About five days later I see a return request on my eBay dashboard and a negative review left on my profile. The reason for the negative review was to the tune of “he said it was set up and I didn’t like his set up”.
    Really dude?
    Then for his return he said “I was just changing the string and noticed that the tuning post was bent”.
    EERRRRKK.. hold on. You “just noticed the tubing post was bent”? Like that’s some little detail.
    The bass was 100% perfect when It left and he commented on how everything else looked okay.
    It’s painfully obvious that the dude purposely bent the tuning post to try and get me to return on it.
    What an absolute psycho.
    I called eBay and got it resolved. They saw the threatening messages and what a nutcase this guy is. Removed the negative review and resolved the case. The guy I spoke to was very generous. I will include the pictures that this absolute moron sent of the tuning post he bent on purpose.
    I honesty think it’s hilarious and karma takes care of people.
    I have rarely had any problems with anyone on eBay but this dude, this dude takes the all out gold cup for biggest idiot on eBay. Let me know your thoughts everyone. Cheers.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
    db59, Mr_Moo, Thundar and 8 others like this.
  2. Stephen Hurley

Jul 6, 2015
    Alexandria,La
    When I play bass I tend to use the tuners for tuning instead of hammering practice.

6F34A171-6BD4-4E29-BA09-B078C8E69D35. E3CEE5E6-873B-490C-B606-2F15E71A5EDB. D109C111-FFE7-4440-B5C4-944E8A6733BF.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
    jamro217, mikewalker and wmhill like this.
  3. Afc70

Afc70 Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2004
    Northeast Arkansas
    Wow... thanks for sharing, so glad Ebay deleted the negative feedback & took care of you...There really are some strange individuals lurking out there, so thankful Talkbass has been such a positive & great thing! Thankfully I’ve never had a bad Ebay etc... deal.
    Edit: I tend to buy much more stuff than I sell, lol, maybe that’s why I’ve been so lucky...

4. Stephen Hurley

Jul 6, 2015
    Alexandria,La
    It was insane. Check out the pictures I just put in.

jamro217 and Afc70 like this.
  5. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I don’t sell on eBay often but when I do I downplay the condition of the bass severely. Still though, some people are never happy.

jamro217, mikewalker, pcake and 5 others like this.
  6. Stephen Hurley

Jul 6, 2015
    Alexandria,La
    It’s always better to exceed expectation!

Jeff Scott, jamro217 and saabfender like this.
  7. 928cat

928cat

Aug 6, 2018
    USA
    You got lucky. eBay will often side with the buyer.

Pewter camaro, Alik, jamro217 and 9 others like this.
  8. Stephen Hurley

Jul 6, 2015
    Alexandria,La
    I’ve heard this a lot. He may very well have had a chance had he not sent threatening and vulgar messages. As far as I know, eBay has zero tolerance policy for the such.

9. JGbassman

JGbassman Supporting Member

May 31, 2011
    That's the very reason I only buy on eBay. Too many crazy people out there.

I'm glad it went well for you. I can't imsgine buying a bass, getting mad because it wasn't set up to my liking, and then bending a tuner to get my money back. What an idiot. Where is the thought process in that? I can't even see where a scam would make sense there.

10. Bass Man Dan

Bass Man Dan Endorsing Artist: Ned Flanders' Bass-a-Reeno

Oct 20, 2017
    Cincinnati
    Buyers remorse? I don't know, tough to get inside the mind of a psycho...

jamro217, FunkyD, saabfender and 3 others like this.
  11. I have run into some different folks buying on eBay, gbase,reverb and various forums.
    90% are good decent people.
    Then some got issues.

Dean N, jamro217, mikewalker and 3 others like this.
  12. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    Buyer must have been ole Bill Wallace

13. Skillet

Skillet Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Louisiana
    I second the notion that you got extremely lucky. Tell this story again, but without his nutjob communications, and you'd have that bass back, in who knows what condition. After paying the return shipping. Ebay can be unfair to sellers.

Alik, 928cat, Ikkir and 5 others like this.
  14. Mister Boh

Mister Boh

Oct 23, 2016
    Annapolis, MD
    I can't believe eBay sided with you, not that they shouldn't. I always get nervous when I sell an instrument since sellers take all of the risk.

928cat, mikewalker, gorneyg and 3 others like this.
  15. BassikLee

BassikLee Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    I think you should use it as an inspiration for a new eBay store, Monkeyboy Sales! Free metric hex wrench with every purchase!!

I'm glad it worked out for you. That guy sounds like a nutjob

16. Stephen Hurley

Jul 6, 2015
    Alexandria,La
    YES

the harp unstrung likes this.
  17. RobTheRiot

RobTheRiot

Aug 31, 2016
    las Vegas, nv
    Wow, very glad things worked out for you - they should have, Obviously, but I've heard too many stories of good sellers getting burnt by overly generous buyer protection policies.

Haha! I hope this guy sobers up and every time he tries to tune his otherwise, I presume, beautiful bass, he realizes what a utter jacka$$ he is...

Thanks for sharing a story w/ a good outcome!

mikewalker and Stephen Hurley like this.
  18. Siggy

Siggy Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    I find it interesting that he was b1tch1n' about the setup and yet the picture shows a setup kit. Buyers remorse?

19. Stephen Hurley

Jul 6, 2015
    Alexandria,La

I honestly believe that’s what it was. And honestly I think he was butthurt I called him out and wanted to get back at me.

Loring likes this.
  20. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

as an aside, this is support for not getting into pissing contests on ebay. they sided with you because the buyer was clearly belligerent and instigated the belligerence. the lucky part is your answering rudeness with rudeness didn't cause ebay to side with the buyer anyway. i am glad it worked out okay for you. the nightmare buyers are everywhere...

Afc70, mikewalker, pcake and 3 others like this.