1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

ebay dilemma, please help

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by beyondhairy, Dec 14, 2005.

1. i was buying some basses on ebay and i hit two buy-it-now's, and something came up so i can only get one of them now and i didnt know wich one to get so i'm here now :)

one of them is from an on line store so its new but out of the box, its a Schector stiletto Delux with active pick ups

and the otherone is a Vintage Ibanez Destroyer / Explorer DB700 Bass made in Japan with passive passive pick ups

the ibanez is marked as being 20 years old

14_12.

42_12.
    (do the pick ups look like they have rust on them?)

1d_1.

5f_1.

the obvious shows would be the scector and it looks like it would give me a better tone, but im also worries abboud playability for me.. the schector has jumbo frets and my fingers arent that long(but i can probably addapt)

id liek to get a tone where i could play stuff like metallica, marilyn manson, tool.. bassicly anything from hard rock to industrial to heavy metal..

but i know nothing about the ibanez, other than i loved all my previous ibanez basses..

2. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    If I was either of the sellers, I would be really annoyed with you.

3. yea, but i am more then likely going to send the other one money for the ebay charges.

4. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    You hit two but it now's. You have a contractual obligation to buy two basses.

5. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    I have nothing to comment as to your ebay situation.

But as for the basses. I own a Schecter Deluxe. It's very nice bass for a very good price(mine was $350).

Note that it does have an over powering low end. Not necessarily in a good way. The lows can get kind of muddy if you don't dial in on the amp well. Aside from that, it's an excellent bass at an excellent price. Very durable, well built for the price.

6. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    +1..... think before you click.

7. oh no.. well before hand i DID have enough money to buy them both.. then i got a summonce for J-walking so i need to pay that now.. so i wont have enough to pay for one of the bassses, but i can still pay the person for the e-bay charges

8. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    Since you did hit Buy It Now I would buy them both by whatever means necessary and sell the one I didn't need afterwards.

Just what I would do, but as long as you can make things right with both sellers maybe it's okay to do as you're planning.

Definitely rust on those pickups, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's not got a lot of years left in it.
    When I go to Japan I always have to clean up my frets when I first get there.

9. That's only IF either seller is willing to work something out. I'd be pretty PO'd at you if I was the seller you were jerking around. So now one guy has to relist and wait 7 more days because of you. Not cool in my book. I'd hold you to the deal if it were me. Sorry dude!

Jeff

10. whats that about waiting 7 days to relist? i am not familiar with that policy...

is there a way to get rid of the pick up rest? i know there are ways to get rid of rust in general but not off pick ups, any ideas? because the ibanez is kind of the bass i was leaning towerds

11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Lean away from the Destroyer. It's a horrible bass, or at least mine was. I had that exact same model bass and the sound was just hideous. As for the rust, eh...as long as it works, a little rust never killed anyone.

Jaywalking, huh? How lame is that? A cop with nothing to do, apparently. How much could it possibly cost for a jaywalking ticket to where it would mean you couldn't buy a bass? I thought they were like $30.

Anyway, the least you can do is pay the seller's listing fees if you stiff one of them. Might mean the difference between good and bad feedback.

12. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Put yourself in both sellers shoes. If you commit to purchase the basses I think you have to do the right thing and honour that commitment. Chances are your j walking deal gives you thirty days to pay anyhow so don't worry about that. Just my opinion of course.

13. yea.. these NY cops are really something special... a friend of mine ended up only paying $20 once.. but another friend wound up paying $60.. i guess it depends on the judge or something.. heh.. a friend of mine got fined $100 for spitting (swear on the high heavens) i'd still like to be safe.. im more afraid of not paying the judge then getting negative feedback on ebay, either way, i still have enough to pay for the ebay charges for either of the two ebayers that i will end up stiffing, its a rotten thing to do, i know. and im not proud of it

14. AxtoOx

AxtoOx Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I think you have an obligation here. When did you get the ticket? If you don't have 30 days, surely you can get a continuance.
    Just a thought.

15. To be quite honest its not the fault of the ebay seller that you broke the law. You certainly have a commitment to buy both basses. I get really annoyed when a buyer tries to get out of a deal. The seller may be needing the money every bit as much as you want to keep it. If you don't honour the deal you don't deserve to trade on ebay.

16. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    I know I've already stated my opinion on this but the more I think of it the more I think you need to really keep your commitment, made when you hit the bid button, and buy both basses.

As stated earlier you can always sell one and have the enjoyment of having had both of them, not to mention showing everyone here on TalkBass what kind of cloth you're cut from.

Hopefully you won't take this as being too preachy but we're all behind you and hoping you'll do right. :)

17. The guys is asking our opinion about the basses not for the moral implications of his Ebay transactions. Can't we stick to the subject? :bag:

I personally do not like the look of the Ibanez bass, but Ibanez have never let me down tone wise. I am sorry I cannot comment on the other bass.
    Good luck with your sit.

18. You misunderstood my comment. Auctions run 7 days. He has to relist the bass and wait 7 days for it to end.

19. Then he probably should have left that part out, right?

20. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV

Just so you're aware.

You can have auctions as short as one day. I think common auctions are 5 and 7 day auctions, but there are other options. Also, he did not win these items in auction, he purchased them with Buy-It-Now where the seller lists an item for so many days and if a person decides to "buy-it-now" then that can be the end of Ebay dealings...not waiting for an end of auction.