Ebay Overpricing

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Funky-Wunky, Feb 4, 2005.

1. Funky-Wunky

Jun 15, 2004
    I saw this bass on ebay, originally listed for $4000. I emailed him and he said he was a collector and knew what he was doing. A couple days later, he drops the price down to $2000. This bass as shown I am guessing is worth 500 to 800. Does this seem funny?

2. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    The guy has ZERO feedback, the photo is suspicious at best, no description on the bass ... lot of strange characters on the 'Bay... I'd stay clear of it
  3. if it were worth anything near that much you think he would atleast take some time to get a few nice pictures, what the hell is that pic supposed to show
  4. Haha. Why is it all angled like that?
  5. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    1972 bass, 1976 neck... all original parts. :eyebrow:

looks cool from what little can be seen...
  6. To me at least, that picture looks more like promo-art than a sale shot.
  7. Yeah, like a cheesy horror flick. A bass lying in a pool of blood with a hand reaching out to grab onto something before getting sucked into the vortex of evil.
  8. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    As Mike Brady said - caviat emptor(sp?) - let the buyer beware. I knew watching "The Brady Bunch" would pay off someday.

I wouldn't say stay clear of eBay. There are good items and legit deals. You just have to be careful.
  9. +++++++1. :) :)
  10. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    So you can't see where he painted over the SX logo? :p
  11. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    You can't see the neck so may not be a jazz bass at all...
  12. I'm gonna watch that auction to see what happens next! :rollno:
  13. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Looking at the details of the body, it's not a '72 either. The screw pattern and thumbrest tell me it's a '74 or later. It probably is a '76 if that's what he's seeing on the neck.

But lately, late '70 Jazzes seem to be fetching ~1500-1700 at the stores in original shape with original finishes.
    Refinishes knock 1/2 the value down from there.
  14. LizzyD

LizzyD Chocoholic

Oct 15, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Sadowsky Artist
    I think we all know what happens next...it sits and nobody bids on it! :D

Why people with zero feedback try to sell something really expensive with no description and photos is beyond me. Just try a little harder folks....sell some cheap little crappy things and generate some feedback first. Make the effort to be believable.

I like to sort all the musical instruments on eBay by price. Try it, it's fun! There's someone selling a saxophone with a starting bid of $1,000,000. And no proper photo. :rolleyes:
  15. That don't look like a '72 to me. The thumbrest is a dead giveaway. looks more like some sorta re-issue, maybe not even a fender.

wouldn't touch it
  16. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    I wouldn't touch it even if it WAS an original. LoL
  17. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Ebay is all about pushing prices up for sellers - it's an online auction - not a shop or retail outlet - I think people forget this! :meh:

I've quoted before - a survey done by MIT showed that people generally pay more than retail on eBay - it's about getting caught up in auction fever, people thinking they're going to get a bargain etc. etc.

But overpricing is the name of the game on eBay!!
  18. halfamind

Aug 4, 2004
    Norfolk, VA
    Heh, that was the first bass I fell in love with, back when it was spankin' new. I love that transparent mocha finish/maple fingerboard. Hell, I've considered refinishing my 75 reissue to get that look!

This reeks of scam, here's the same thing, at least close to legit...

I might haveta rob a bank...
  19. lowendgod

Feb 25, 2004
    Yakima, WA.
    yep that reaks of scam, stay far and clear.....