Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ebay pruchase gone bad, please help...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by F*#$NA4, Feb 12, 2004.

1. F*#$NA4

F*#$NA4

Jul 11, 2003
    Chicago
    So, I bought a Thumb 5 B.o. off of ebay that was described as mint. I got it today and externally, it is pretty close to mint, but I played it and it played like garbage, so I was going to adjust the truss rod, but the truss rod has been completely stripped. So I explain the situation to the seller and he says that it is covered under warranty, send back and he will get it fixed. HERE is the question: I am 90% sure that is not warranty work, and anyhow, can they even replace the truss rod? Do you think demanding a refund is reasonable, and likely? Thank you

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Well, it depends on your level of trust. It depends on the situation, too. Is this a store that has a satisfaction guarantee? If so, then it might be ok to do. If not, then I don't think so. BTW, is it just the nut inside is stripped, or the rod itself? The nut would be easy to replace.

3. Introvox

Introvox

May 21, 2001
    Ontario, Canada
    IMO...the seller described it as MINT, yet there was a very serious problem with the trussrod, I'd go for a complete refund because even a "repaired" bass is not MINT

4. F*#$NA4

F*#$NA4

Jul 11, 2003
    Chicago
    The nut inside is completely stripped, when I put the truss rod adjustment tool in there, it spins almost freely (and, yes it is the correct size, its the Warwick wrench). When I opened the adjustment compartment up, I was greeted with metal shavings. Anyhow, I bought it from a privite party, not a store, and thats how it is. When I got the bass I was so amped, but the strings were a mile high off the board. I am so upset and depressed right now. Can you literally take out the truss rod and put a new one in????

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    If the nut is stripped, you would not need to. See if you can find a reputable luthier in your area to replace the nut. As for now, I reccoment taking tension off of the strings. See how that goes.

6. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Well, I would either take it to a luthier for repair, and backcharge the seller, or simply ask for a full refund.

Bummer man

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    You bought an item described as mint, that was not mint. Return it. You should have eBay's backing too. He incorrectly described the item. Unless, he said the apprearance was mint, and made no mention of how it played, or the condition of it structurally.

-Mike

8. F*#$NA4

F*#$NA4

Jul 11, 2003
    Chicago
    Yea, the description just said, roughly, "Mint condition, original owner, less than 2 years old." It did not say AS-IS or anything like that. I don't know, I guess I email Warwick and see what the deal is, how much replacement parts are and whatnot, because this guy seems intent not refunding my $$$

MUCH THANKS GUYS

9. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    I would ask him point blank for a refund. If he's not going to refund your money, he's not going to refund it. Explain to him that you are not interested in a repaired instrument, especially if it was advertised as mint.

What does his feedback profile look like? Explain to him what it's going to look like if he doesn't refund your money.

Truth of the matter is, if he refuses to make a refund there's little that you can do. To go through the courts would cost more than the bass cost.

Sorry for your bad luck.

Harrell S.

10. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX

Took the words out of my mouth. If he refuses then you might be able to go through Ebay. If you paid paypal or credit card you might be able to go through them as well.

brad cook

11. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    Yeah, PayPal will work with you to get a refund, although I've heard some horror stories about Ebay not really attending to the little, private sellers as far as refunds go.

Is there anything else wrong with the bass that makes it sound like garbage, or is it just the fact that you could row a boat between the strings and the fretboard?

12. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    A stripped nut typically doesn't require a complete trussrod replacement though I'm not familiar with the Warwick rod.

Was taking it to a local repair person and having the seller reimburse you discussed? If it was just an "okay" deal, I guess sending it back might be the way to go. OTOH...

Here's my trussrod story: Last year Woodchuck told me about a Fodera at GC in Atlanta. When I got it I decided to adjust the rod only to find the nut stripped. I contacted Fodera (I didn't want to use anyone local on this bass), sent it back and got it back in a couple of days. IIRC I paid shipping one way, the repair was gratis on my 11 year old bass. Great customer service. There was no way in heck I was going to send it back for a refund for a very minor (in spite of what some seem to think) repair. The deal was way too good to do that.

I didn't even bother with GC because of how little I had paid for the bass and the fact that putting them in the middle of my bass and the builder hardly seemed worth it in the long run. I doubt they even knew the nut was stripped.

Again, if the Thumb was a good deal I'd find a way to work out an amicable conclusion. If not and you think you can find another one, get a refund.YMMV.

13. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I would say if you otherwise like the bass, then take it to a repair shop to see what the problem is and how much it will cost to fix. It might not be as catastropic as it appears. However, if there are other things that you don't like about the bass, keep trying for a refund.

Either way, I'd leave negative feedback for the seller on ebay.

14. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Contact Dana B. Goods http://www.danabgoods.com/

They can probably get you a new TR nut, and may be able to help with any other problems (with the bass, not eBay). They have a very good costomer service reputation.

15. F*#$NA4

F*#$NA4

Jul 11, 2003
    Chicago
    thanks for the input, I am still currently trying to work out a deal...........

16. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Just remember, don't burn any bridges.

17. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    ebay is both a blessing and a curse

:confused:

18. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    If you used paypal, it will be much better for you if you go through your credit card or bank. Paypal will do an investigation which will be lengthy and probably not end in your favor. If by some miracle they did actually find in your favor, they would only get you a certain percentage of your refund back. Same thing (just about) with ebay. If you go through whatever method you paid with they will slam the guy with fraud if he doesn't come through. That's why I always pay with a credit card through paypal. Hope it all works out for you! ;)

19. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    actually Joe, from what I understand, the credit card companies will NOT back you if you used a 3rd party system, such as Paypal. Internet dealing can be great, but it can burn too. I am in two transactions I am not 100% sure on right now, I am the one that decided to take the risk.

I spoke to the post man today when buying my money orders, and they too offer no protection, it is between you and the police.

Bummer man, I suggest you keep the heat on the seller to take care of this. If the neck had that much relief, the problem was there before he ever sent it, you got ripped off.

20. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    From my experience, if you don't receive your item, your credit card company will get your refund as long as you file a claim within 30 days of purchase.