1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EBMM fretless neck swap?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ian McLaughlin, May 22, 2019.

1. Ian McLaughlin

Ian McLaughlin

Aug 11, 2018
    Looking at a beautiful EMBB Stingray 5 HH fretless in an awesome discontinued color, but it's lined and I want unlined. Somewhere in the '00s as far as year.

Also looking at another EBMM Stingray 5 H fretless with an awesome unlined neck, but it's in a color I don't like. I also prefer the HH. Not sure of the vintage, probably '00s or '10s.

We all know it is nearly impossible to get an EBMM replacement neck, let alone an unlined fretless 5. I am not interested in an aftermarket neck and certainly not a carbon fiber one.

Both are 6-bolt and not Specials or SEs as far as I can tell.

Do I buy them both, swap the necks, then sell the one I no longer need?

Is this brilliant, stupid, crazy, or some combination thereof?

(Please, no comments about there being no shame in lined fretless. I agree, but I prefer unlined.)

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  2. Geri O

Geri O

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Apparently, buy them both and sell the bits you don’t need.

But it appears that you knew that already.

(If you do that, pm me about those leftover bits. I’m serious.)

3. Ian McLaughlin

Ian McLaughlin

Aug 11, 2018
    Actually, no, I didn't think of just selling the parts, I only thought to sell the swapped complete that has the body & neck I don't want.

Now there's that to think about, too! (I'd certainly pm you.)

Hmm, trying to sell parts vs. trying to sell a non-numbers-matching StingRay with not a lot of takers to begin with for a lined fretless 5 H. Matching numbers are important for classic cars, but how much with basses?

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  4. Geri O

Geri O

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Well, I said “bits”, but I ASSumed it would be reassembled into an H with a lined neck in a color you don’t care for...:D

However it winds up, lemme know. Either way.

Ian McLaughlin likes this.
  5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 4, 2021