1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EBMM Stingray 5 HS

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CL400Peavey, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Sorry this will be a little long winded, as I have some backstory... ;)

I had been GASsing for a Sterling 5 HH for a while, but was having trouble with that price tag. It was one of the few 5 stings that felt right in my hand. I didnt loose the b-string and it sounded great.

Fast forward a bit. A few months ago I was in the local GC for something, and I noticed they had a Stingray 5 HS on the wall marked about $1,000 less than it should have been. It was new, and played great, if not as well as the Sterling. I asked the guy on the floor, and the sales manager if the price was correct, they confirmed so I thought it was too good a deal to pass up. Turns out someone had miss marked the price, and I walked out of there with it below their cost. Im really happy with this bass and have no plans to ditch it any time soon.

On to the real question:

My bass has the HS pick up configuration, but I'm really only digging two of the selections. I like the humbucker all the way on (switch all the way back), and the neck coil on with one of the humbucker pick ups (second from the front on the top on the selector).

What kinds of sounds am I missing with the HS versus the HH pickups? Am I missing something with my HS with the other settings? Is there something the HH would offer that I cant get with the HS?

Thanks for your advice.

:bassist::bassist::bassist:

2. Personally, I have a Sterling 5 HS and a Stingray 5 HS. In HH format I have a Stingray 4 HH.

Both combinations give you the same H bridge sweetspot.

To me the davnatge of the HS is to give you single coils, which you CANNOT get on a Stingray 5 H (200:cool: or Stingray 5 HH. The single coils give you a smoother more vintage tone...more 'Fendery' but with Musicman quality and DNA.

Personally I love the HS. BUT, the HH gives you a real cool almost aggressive Rick/Jazz tone with both outer coils! Also, the neck H is quite nice for big warm fat bass.

They are both great. I'm lucky to have a selection.

You might need to check your pickup heights are factory spec before considering anything else.

In the UK, HH and HS Ray 5s/Sterling 5s are rare, and fetch quite good money. I'd keep it!

3. oh I have no intention of selling it, the HS is my go to bass over my jazz or P.

Here is a picture of said bass. Im a sucker for natural finishes and tort pick guards.

[​IMG]

4. WOW! That is the perfect partner to mine. My Ray 5 HS is White/Tort/Rosewood. They would look stunning togetger. Is that Tobacco Burst?

5. Yep, that's the tobacco. I love seeing the wood grain.

6. Nighthawk551

Nighthawk551

Jan 3, 2007
    Indiana
    Sweetwater Sound
    I have an '05 Stingray 5 HH with ceramic pickups, so it is more or less identical to a Sterling 5 HH. You're missing out on three of the five selections.

Position two uses the outer coils. It's more of a Jazz type of sound. I use it in applications where I would otherwise be playing my Jazz.

Position three is a very full-bodied sound with both humbuckers running. One caveat is that it tends to scoop the mids, so I often have to boost them onboard after switching.

Position five is just the neck humbucker. It is a very warm and thick sound, but still has an edge to it - reminiscent of its sister pickup soloed. It can get very woofy if you play near the neck.

Hope this helps!

7. Yeah, I love my HS, but I will be gassing for a sterling HH until I get one.

8. Anyone else have experience with the two pick up configurations?

9. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    The neck pickup on the HS is really far toward the neck, so it does not get the p bass type tone I was hoping for. More like a hofner. I agree the HS sounds are not that useful. The HH was more useful IMHO but I still think rays are best with one pickup and you eq in the extra bass you need. And on any of the two pickup basses with series wiring, I can't get any sounds I like, because I don't like that thick middy series sound. With a stingray I'm looking for some shine and depth. If I want more hollow mids I'll play a fender.

10. Ok. Resurecting this zombie thread, but hey its my thread.

I was cleaning up my Ray today, and I took the pickguard off. I was shocked to see a third pick up underneath! this is the "Phantom coil" of the HS I assume. I have a few questions about it though. Is this a fully functioning pick up? Has anyone ever experimented with bringing it forward?

11. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    Wow! I've never heard of that. My Sterling 5H has a "phantom coil" and I swapped the pickguard on it and it does not have any other pickup under there. I'm pretty sure the phantom coil is built into each pickup. I have no idea what a third pickup would be.

Are you sure the bass was brand new when you bought it? Not one that somebody bought, installed a third pickup, then decided to return? I know, that sounds REALLY farfetched.

I would definitely send an email to musicman_customerservice@ernieball.com and include the serial number and a picture and ask them about it.

Caveat: I've never had anything but single H and for all I know what you're seeing could be perfectly normal.

12. No it is factory. I have found a few other mentions of it around the internet. Just surprised me to see it.

13. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    EPIC!