1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EBMM StingRay Special Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RichSnyder, Jul 17, 2018.

1. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    So what did you get bro?

2. Fro68

Fro68 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Well, I bought the BFR Dargie SS. I just had to do it:D
    Now I need to recoup some funds. For anyone interested I’ve listed my Charger Green 5HH in the for sale section.

3. WesC

WesC

Nov 18, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Well helloo there!

I used to own a beautiful 2005 Lava Pearl Stingray 5... but I sold it a few years ago due to lack of time to play it. I've been kicking myself for selling it ever since.

When I heard about the new Stingray Specials I started to dig in to research, reading, watching videos, and finally going to my local, somewhat decrepit Guitar Center where they had just one Stingray Special 5H in that charcoal sparkle. It was quite killer looking with the blacked out hardware and was really phenomenal sounding!

But I knew I wanted an HH model... and something a little less sparkly.

But, man these things are tricky to find in stock. I was originally looking at the burnt apple finish, but after a while I wasn't diggin it so much and wanted something a bit more classic. It came down to black or natural, leaning towards the natural. But alas... neither were in stock, and the natural was going to be until August/September with all of the back orders. Wow.

Anyway, after about a month of looking, a Jet Black SS5HH became available with the ebony fingerboard and blacked out hardware and after looking closely at the photos I saw that it had a little birdseye in the neck! I was in love!

The good folks at Sweetwater made me a great package deal on the Stingray bass, an Aguilar TH500 amp, a TC Electronics Polytune and some cables.

Here are a few of their pictures... everything arrives tomorrow! Check out that birdseye!
    F82496-front-xlarge. F82496-detail3-xlarge.

I might go with either a brown tortoise or a black pearl pickguard down the road.

4. HD007

HD007 Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2018
    Can’t wait to see pics! Congrats

scottm likes this.
  5. Fro68

Fro68 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2018
    DFF23CA2-647B-4780-B960-E6EC39F5EFF0.

My phone doesn’t really capture the color.

6. HD007

HD007 Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2018
    Beautiful!! The ebony on that board likes super nice too. drool

lowdownthump likes this.
  7. JimHouchin

JimHouchin

Mar 19, 2016
    20190312_203148.

ALMOST took the plastic off today and put my thumb rest on... may happen tomorrow. I've only had it two days, but so far its exactly what I was looking for... An active bass with 5 strings and similar string spacing to what I currently have. So far, fantastic. The neck is unbelievably playable. The frets are perfect and the whole thing is uniform and seems to be a lot of attention to detail to the instrument in general. Totally on par with my JB5 with slightly different specs. Tonally I can't really compare my L1505 as I use it in parallel, passive because it's just too noisy for me in active. Now I have the best of both worlds. That said the 1505 is still a keeper, but MIGHT not be my number two anymore... hell my number one might not be my number one! GULP!

.... Guess I'm ALMOST in the club! :) Can't say enough about the 8lbs 4.6oz with no neck dive. Just awesome. MM got these SO RIGHT.... (I wish my local GC had more than the natural color in stock, but at least they had two of them and I got my pick of the litter... YES I brought my mini scales and weighed each one in the store.)

SCREW IT, taking the plastic off in the morning and drilling the body for thumb rests! Yes, it's that good.... I'm in the club.

8. HD007

HD007 Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2018
    Woohoo!
    I’ve brought a scale to my share of GCs as well.
    I’m feeling really at home with my new 5 string as well.
    Welcome to the club!!

9. Wood and Wire

Wood and Wire

Jul 15, 2017
    Wait!

Don't do it...

You can get "Zero Mod" thumb rests, that don't require any drilling - they just use the pre-existing screws in the scratch plate / pick guard.

That way it's a non-destructive modification, and won't effect re-sale value, in the unlikely event you sell the instrument at some point.

10. JimHouchin

JimHouchin

Mar 19, 2016
    Yeah, I really feel they have upped their game, not that they even needed to in the first place! But the tweaks on hardware, the new neck and the great voicing. Along with all the configurations/colors, it's really a nobrainer for me at this time.... Keeper!

HD007 and lowdownthump like this.
  11. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY, DO NOT DRILL HOLES IN THAT INSTRUMENT!

12. JimHouchin

JimHouchin

Mar 19, 2016
    Ordered and paid for! Thanks for the eagle eye! (and I like this quote...."in the unlikely event you sell the instrument"!!)

Wood and Wire and HD007 like this.
  13. JimHouchin

JimHouchin

Mar 19, 2016
    Where were you when I did drilled my $2700 JB5! :) That said, I do use custom made 1/2 height rest of exotic hardwoods... but ultimately, I drilled some holes in that shizite! :-D

(Side note, I returned a Bass to GC before my 45 day period AFTER I drilled it... they didn't notice)

14. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    No drilled holes required for membership . You bought it, posted a pic, you are in!!

HD007 likes this.
  15. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    :eek:

Stranger Danger likes this.
  16. Bass Urges

Bass Urges

Jul 30, 2017
    Ok ok ok .................after 132 pages I now get it.

Living below and outside Melbourne in Australia, we’re at the bottom of the world and don’t see a huge range of gear. To my shock I walked in to my local guitar store here two days ago and they had a Stingray Special Dargie Delight perched on the wall. I asked the lads in the store how the hell that happened and they said the rep just sent it down for them to have a look at to see what they thought. My luck I guess.

Plugged it in and wow!! The penny has dropped. Ergonomically soooo different to my older Stingrays and what a different sound!! It just felt and sounded like perfection. The build quality is simply outstanding. Even with poor exchange rates I couldn’t let the deal go. I put a deposit down after a second crack at it today.....................

Still shaking my head at how good this beast is. A definite game changer.

hereandgone18, scottm, vates and 6 others like this.
  17. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    It just makes me a little nauseous when I see that. To each his own but I can't imagine doing that at all under any circumstances. If you really need a thumb rest that's what they make B strings for, lol.

lowdownthump and JimHouchin like this.
  18. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Yeah man get it!

lowdownthump, Bass Urges and HD007 like this.
  19. HD007

HD007 Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2018
    What an amazing entree to the Special realm. Is she home yet?

lowdownthump and Bass Urges like this.
  20. Bass Urges

Bass Urges

Jul 30, 2017
    It’s a birthday present from the good wife so need to wait a few weeks.

Small price for years of fun in front of me. Still shaking my head how different they are.

lowdownthump, HD007 and CrazyDiamond like this.