1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EBMM StingRay Special Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RichSnyder, Jul 17, 2018.

1. CrazyDiamond

CrazyDiamond

Dec 10, 2018
    "Small price for years of fun" .... THIS! IMG_0377.

2. MMiller28

MMiller28

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    I wouldn't leave the clip-on tuners on the headstocks long-term...the TC Electronics manual says it could damage the finish.

Obrad Lacarac likes this.
  3. Burwabit

Burwabit Likes guitars that tune good and firm feelin women Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2011
    Lubbock, TX
    Ivory White 4H. Really enjoying it.

lowdownthump, HD007 and armybass like this.
  4. Killens84

Killens84 Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Mississippi
    I’m working on trying different strings on my 5H Special, to find the perfect pairing. I started with GHS Bass Boomers, which paired pretty well. Then I tried DR Hi-Beams and D’Addario XL, neither of which I liked on the bass. I have a set of GHS Nickel Balanced coming that I’ll try next. I’ll probably try Dunlop Super Brights and DR Nickel Lo-Riders in the near future as well.

scottm and armybass like this.
  5. keto

keto

Mar 3, 2016
    Edmonton
    I have nickel LoRiders on mine. Good match, tho I like them on other basses too.

TrentB and armybass like this.
  6. Iofflight

Iofflight Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2018
    That's what I'm putting on mine next, right now they have the original super slinkies they shipped with. Has anyone tried the Hybrid cobalt slinkies on this bass? Thoughts?

7. CBBass123

CBBass123

Oct 18, 2005
    Texas
    Calling all stinger 5h special owners....

My buds new stinger special 5h seems to have a good volume drop in the middle switch selector. We tested this over and over and installed 2 new batts with same results. My firemist 2017 5h with same middle switch filter does not volume drop whats so ever. Just alters the tone a bit. Sort of a slight scoop.

Does your 5h drop in volume when switching to the middle position?

He sent it back to sweetwater to fix, and according to them, the 2 other specials they had in stock did the same thing. That the new ones do this.

I mean, this drops volume like you would have to adjust amp or mixer volume to compensate, not just cutting mids.

Let me know guys. Thanks.

8. One of the very nice features on this bass that I don't think to many people have mentioned is I'm able to turn the volume knob down on the bass and it doesn't seem to effect the tone in anyway. I've been a Fender guy for many years and this part is huge for me especially at the gigs. Super nice to be able to create volume headroom with my amp and turn up or down from the bass.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    WesC, nocluejimbo, HD007 and 3 others like this.
  9. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    It’s definitely an advantage of an active circuit

lowdownthump likes this.
  10. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    It’s probably a drop in perceived volume that can be overcome with bumping the mids

11. Completely agree. I've had active circuit basses in the past, this circuit seems to do it better than any bass I ever owned. I don't know if the quality is somehow just that much better or maybe it's just me (certainly possible, LOL!).

12. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    I have Colbalt roundwounds on my Special 5H now, and while these are my strings of choice for my non-Special StingRays, I preferred the original Slinky strings on the Special. Colbalts add treble and bass, and cut mids; this seems to work against the neutral tone of the Special. YMMV.

13. p k

p k Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Hahira, GA
    I have a pair of DR stainless Lo-Riders on my 5HH and I like them so far. They are a little bright but aging well.

14. Bardolphus

Bardolphus Put some stank on it... Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Nope, this definitely doesn't happen on my 5H Special.

HD007 and lowdownthump like this.
  15. mojomike001

mojomike001 Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2013
    South Florida
    I can't say I've really experienced that with my 4HH. I would almost suspect something might be wired out of phase.

16. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Is that green 5 string SR the current SR Special? Did it come with the black Pickguard or did you swap it? Looks much better with black

lowdownthump likes this.
  17. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I just 20 pages of this thread after discovering a SR Special 5H at my local shop yesterday. It was the bright Green, Ebony, Black hardware model. I LOVED the bass. Probably the best feeling 5 string neck I've touched and I am very proud of my Nordstrand VJ5's. I would have bought the bass had it not been for the somewhat Loud green color. Not my first choice. But It might look better with a black Pickguard to match the black hardware. It was very lightweight. I am guessing 9lbs or less. I am tempted to pull the trigger on the 'one I got to play' rather than ordering elsewhere.

My main question is whether I would prefer the HH version? And yet, I have my Nordy VJ5 with two PU's. That said, I usually play one bass for an entire gig.

I've read where many SR Special HH owners still tend to use the bridge PU mostly. But I wanted to ask first so I get this right the first time.

5H or 5HH? I love the Ebony Fingerboard too. I am not sure if I would prefer rosewood or maple sonically, but this bass speaks to me in terms of feel, weight, sound, overall vibe. (except for the green). But I might try it anyway. Welcome your thoughts.

This would be my first Stingray ever!

18. HD007

HD007 Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2018
    Awesome! Many of us here remain smitten with our Specials.

I have a 5HH. I mostly use the mixed-pickup configuration. (Positions 1-5, or first through fifth gears as we say, start with first gear at the bridge position).(Edit: I'm mostly using position 2 for my jazz combo)

It really depends on your style of music. The HH are more versatile; many H owners are perfectly happy with the variety of those sounds and they like the simplicity and more room for slapping.

I always prefer to grab a specific bass that I've actually played when possible. If a pickguard change would make it more palatable that's an easy fix.

Happy playing!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    lowdownthump likes this.
  19. Yes it's a Cruz teal SR5HH Special - used to look like this. Cruz teal's actually quite close to sea foam green.

image.
    Now has a black pg fitted

image.

I'm interested to hear people using their Stingray Specials with volume not on full - I have the amp set to the highest volume I'm likely to need and control the volume from the bass. Works fine (as it does with my other Stingrays).

basschips and HD007 like this.
  20. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I think the 3 settings on an SR5H are more useful than the 5 settings on the HH. You can’t get series on the HH.

HD007, CElton and Iofflight like this.