1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EBMM StingRay Special Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RichSnyder, Jul 17, 2018.

1. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Had to wait to get one used. This one is in new condition.... plastic on pg, hang tags ect.

lowdownthump and HD007 like this.
  2. Debating whether I should take my SRS5H out for its first gig on Saturday.... I've had it for 6 months but it has not left the house!

HD007 and armybass like this.
  3. Iofflight

Iofflight Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2018
    So I haven't had a lot of time on the bass but I've been learning Smooth Operator and this was a perfect bass to learn it on. It and my Birdsong Cbass are really my two favorites at this point. It's very forward present sounding though I can dial it back easily by dropping the treble about 70%. The action is really nice and low on this bass and even though it's a 4H I'm finding it fairly flexible. I'd had my heart set on an old school sounding, late 70s early 80s 2band StingRay and maybe that will happen down the line but the weight and sound of this bass are really very pleasing. I think the EQ is quite good and that is saying something because I really do prefer passive basses.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    Chiliwailer, lowdownthump and HD007 like this.
  4. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    Does that mean you boost the treble above center detent to 70% or you cut below center detent? EQ controls are boost and cut on a Stingray.

5. HD007

HD007 Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2018
    Absolutely!

lowdownthump likes this.
  6. Wood and Wire

Wood and Wire

Jul 15, 2017

Probably.

It has Bird's Eye custard on the body.

:D

Bevan777 and HD007 like this.
  7. Iofflight

Iofflight Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2018
    yes it means I'm dropping the treble somewhere back behind the center detent, or conversely I'm setting it at about 30%.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    HD007 and mouthmw like this.
  8. Zack K

Zack K

Aug 12, 2018
    Yellow was a very close second for me, and I probably would have bought if not for the lack of a maple fingerboard option. The roasted maple was a huge selling point for me, and I want to show it off as much as possible. I get asked all the time by my musician friends “damn what kind of wood is that?!”

HD007, lowdownthump and vates like this.
  9. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    I really wish Ernie Ball would at least give fingerboard choice options. I think yellow would look great with ebony , especially with all the black hardware.

HD007 and Iofflight like this.
  10. Zack K

Zack K

Aug 12, 2018
    Oh wow, I had assumed it was ebony because of the black hardware. Very strange choice to go with a yellow and black motif and then put a rosewood board on it.

11. HD007

HD007 Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2018
    Yellow and ebony would be slick!

Zack K and lowdownthump like this.
  12. Burwabit

Burwabit Likes guitars that tune good and firm feelin women Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2011
    Lubbock, TX
    Same here. I narrowed down my color choices to those with maple fretboard options. Also I'm pretty traditional, and the others were a little too exotic for me anyways.

Zack K and lowdownthump like this.
  13. Hi TB! Here's is a pic of my label on the packing box with date 01/28/19. Also what it looked like the first moment I opened the case. Loving this bass! IMG_4448. IMG_4452.

14. Corevalay

Corevalay Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    New Jersey
    Just in case anyone missed it, I'm selling this beauty!! $1600.00. I'd love to see someone in this group get it.

I may consider trades for a different Stingray Special 4H or 4HH. Thanks!

IMG_8847.

armybass likes this.
  15. Bevan777

Bevan777

Jan 7, 2019
    Damn I would get this, but the shipping to the UK and tax means it’s probably not worth it.

16. Corevalay

Corevalay Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    New Jersey
    We can certainly discuss, if you want to PM me.

17. Shaggai

Shaggai

May 7, 2018
    I would have loved to get it with a maple neck, especially the roasted maple of these models. I'm sure you could get them to make you one that way, but off the rack the HD yellow comes with a Rosewood neck. I hope that's because R&D made them as said "Don't do that again" although it could have been "these are all mine, they never leave the factory."

HD007 likes this.
  18. nocluejimbo

nocluejimbo

Jul 10, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Welp, went and did it. Found this Jet Black 4H for an incredible price, now it is on its way to CA. I was hoping for Cruz Teal or Aqua Sparkle, but couldn't pass up a deal.

[​IMG]

drTSTingray, Gabbs, mouthmw and 10 others like this.
  19. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Excellent choice!!

HD007 likes this.
  20. nocluejimbo

nocluejimbo

Jul 10, 2011
    Los Angeles
    I was shopping against a few Stingray Classics, a bass I have owned and loved before. This one dipped down into that price range, so it was a no-brainer with all of the improvements they've made.

HD007 and lowdownthump like this.