1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EBMM StingRay Special Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CyberSnyder, Jul 17, 2018.

1. How is the setup? Try playing it unplugged while wearing ear plugs or ear muffs so you can't hear anything. Now, how does it feel to play?

If it feels fine, then another thing to consider is fret material and profile. I suspect a few people are better able to hear the acoustic/unplugged difference between the wide stainless steel frets on Specials and narrower nickel frets on other Stingrays and think there is something wrong.

If it helps at all, the clackiness of my SRS5 has certainly subsided after 9 months of very frequent use (with stainless flatwounds).

HD007 likes this.
  2. One year has passed since its release and it's still hard to find a StingRay Special in local shops. We're talking about Rome, not an isolated village in the middle of nowhere.
    I've found a couple of them online but I must take a little trip to try them and I want it black (and they don't have it of course).
    I'm thinking about trying one of those and then ordering a black one from Thomann, it seems the only option at the moment. I usually buy expensive gear at local shops, not online.

3. Gabbs

Gabbs

May 15, 2010
    Boulder Creek, CA
    Rome is a really really long way from San Luis Obispo, California

4. So what? The same is for UK, Germany and Europe in general but it's easier to grab a Special there.
    We always had Rays available here, the problem is the local shops. They don't want to take new stuff before selling what they have.

Jughead6 likes this.
  5. pertyman

pertyman

Jun 10, 2006
    Finely!!!
    After 7.5 months she’s here.
    97738072-833D-4AC9-84E0-62C709A713DF.

WesC, craig0316, bovinehost and 18 others like this.
  6. scottm

scottm Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2005
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    That fretboard is gorgeous!
    Congratulations.

-ScottM

pertyman likes this.
  7. WOW!!!

HD007 and pertyman like this.
  8. HD007

HD007 Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2018
    That is worth waiting for! Such a stunning color.

9. I just sold my Mesa D800+ amp and 112 subway cabinet and purchased a Mark Bass
    Combo Head II amp and additional 12” Mark Bass Cabinet.
    I gotta tell you, I am convinced my 4HH Stingray Special sounds even better through the Mark Bass stuff.
    Not slamming the Mesa in any way, I just feel the Special and the Mark Bass are
    a perfect match...I am in bass nirvana right now.

10. Killens84

Killens84 Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Mississippi
    If anyone is looking for a 5H Special that can double as a boat anchor, Sweetwater has one listed at 92lbs. I would suggest some sort of pulley system, if you buy that one. I guess I’m fortunate that mine only weighs 8.14lbs.
    01C34FB9-F1C2-4352-B8E3-E65BB3A6177A.

11. HD007

HD007 Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2018
    I do need a new paperweight...

12. Killens84

Killens84 Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Mississippi
    That one should do the trick, plus some.

HD007 likes this.
  13. Raslee

Raslee

Jul 4, 2007
    South west UK
    Any news on a D-tuner, xtender, Hipshot thing for the 4 string special?

14. Bardolphus

Bardolphus Put some stank on it... Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Looks like just buy the BT13 Bass Xtender and swap out with your existing cloverleaf.

Edit: Photo from the post by @CrazyDiamond

IMG_3848.JPG

CrazyDiamond likes this.
  15. The modern world is very small indeed. Air freight is quick and relatively cheap.

I'm in Australia and Specials are very rare here. I had to order mine without ever having played one. And the old non-Specials have all but disappeared too.

Maybe the scarcity is simply that EBMM aren't making as many instruments they used to. So with limited supply the distributors target markets where there is most demand.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
    Mingus_Habens likes this.
  16. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    I have the same setup and I can testify that you are correct! I have a 4HH and Markbass CMD 121P and Markbass NY121. Killer setup.

Attached Files:

gkella, basschips and scottm like this.
  17. Burwabit

Burwabit Likes guitars that tune good and firm feelin women Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2011
    Lubbock, TX
    Got to play a 4HH and 5HH Special at GC in Dallas today (small one on 75). Fun to play with the different tones the extra pickup can produce, but I still like the classic bridge tone the best. I own a 4H but had question in back of my head if I should have gotten a 4HH. I can finally put that to rest. Great basses with something for everyone.

Gabbs, basschips, mouthmw and 2 others like this.
  18. bovinehost

bovinehost Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Highly placed sources inside San Luis Obispo informed me today that my bass is being shipped. I had actually forgotten which finish I wanted - I was almost sure it was charcoal sparkle but nope, it's Aqua Sparkle. Wish I had it for this weekend's gigs but I'll be okay, surely, with a Bongo or a Big Al.

Of course, it's a single H because that's what I do. Photo lifted from Sweetwater, I think?

aquasparkle.

Finally I shall be able to dwell amongst you Special People.

Jack

19. 4B879D54-BB1A-4838-9F66-A5B8BCDA636C. I just love this photo so I wanted to share....

20. HD007

HD007 Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2018
    Yay!!

lowdownthump likes this.