1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

EBMM StingRay Special Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RichSnyder, Jul 17, 2018.

1. N4860

N4860

Mar 28, 2017
    Kitchener
    Yeah, on mine, I have the neck pickup pretty significantly lower.

Moonskunk likes this.
  2. N4860

N4860

Mar 28, 2017
    Kitchener
    This is from the MM website:

If you have a single pickup bass set the pickup height to 6/32" from the plastic pickup cover to the bottom of the G string. Adjust the bass side of the pickup to be parallel with the pickguard.

If you have a dual pickup bass set the bridge pickup to the specs above. Follow the same procedure for the neck pickup except set that to 8/32".

GregC and Moonskunk like this.
  3. That is odd to be having a NECK pickup HIGHER than a BRIDGE pickup

height2.gif

height3.gif

height4.gif

I wonder if there is a typo on their website?

4. N4860

N4860

Mar 28, 2017
    Kitchener
  5. Above: it was listed as having a SINGLE pickup Bass (BRIDGE) set @ 6/32" and a two pickup (NECK) set @ 8/32".

Wurd up for those new to a ruler:

8/32" is HIGHER than 6/32"

6. N4860

N4860

Mar 28, 2017
    Kitchener
    I think you are misunderstanding the measurement.

Wurd up to those new to reading:
    "set the pickup height to 6/32" from the plastic pickup cover to the bottom of the G string."

;)

Stevorebob likes this.
  7. Well, excuse me but, for the uninitiated writing here...if you use one point of reference for ONE BRIDGE pickup, you will use the same point of reference when setting the SECOND NECK pickup as the "G" string is the common reference point.

At least that's the way Mark Erlewine (Dan Erlewine's cousin) tought me how to do it awhile back in Austin using a machinist ruler.

8. N4860

N4860

Mar 28, 2017
    Kitchener
    Is that not how it is written above? The point of reference being the "G" string as the common reference point for both pickups? Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you are trying to say.

9. Look at the information I referenced that was provided above, not by me.

I expect, the measurements were reversed.

Bridge set @ 8/32"

Neck set @ 6/32"

Not the other way around. This way makes sense in the world of pickup height adjustment setting during a setup.

This was what I was trying to say for those experiencing the issue.

10. N4860

N4860

Mar 28, 2017
    Kitchener
    "Bridge set @ 8/32"

Neck set @ 6/32"

This would make the neck pickup 2/32" closer to the strings than the bridge pickup though. Isn't that exactly what you are suggesting not to do?

11. If using the "static" location of the "G" string.

The neck pickup is 6/32" from that "static" point.

The bridge pickup is 8/32" from that "static" point.

Q: How can the shorter measurement from the same "static" point be closer to that point than the 2/32" TALLER measurement?

12. liverbird

liverbird

Mar 22, 2003
    This makes no sense at all as it would mean that the neck pickup is closer to the strings than the bridge pickup.

The measurements are the distance from the string to the top of the pickup.

N4860 likes this.
  13. Now look at the three diagrams above and put the 6/32" measurement by the first pickup. Then put the 8/32" measurement by the "slightly taller" bridge pickup.

If that doesn't spell it out, then I'm not sure what more I can say...

14. N4860

N4860

Mar 28, 2017
    Kitchener
    A: The measurement we have been discussing is the size of the gap between the pickup and the strings. A larger measurement = pickup further away from the string. So therefore, the smaller measurement (i.e, a very small gap between the pickup and strings, means that the smaller measurement is much higher than the large measurement.

GregC and Moonskunk like this.
  15. N4860

N4860

Mar 28, 2017
    Kitchener
    I tried to spell it out for you like 5 posts back but you are trying to not understand what the actual measurement is referencing. THE MEASUREMENT IS NOT THE PICKUP HEIGHT, BUT THE SIZE OF THE GAP BETWEEN THE PICKUP AND STRINGS.

16. Forgive me, then. Do you see what I was saying based on the statement " the neck pickup was "higher" than the bridge pickup?"

17. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    The distance is from the string to the pickup. A greater distance will make the pickup sit lower.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
    PhatBottomBass1 likes this.
  18. jd50

jd50 Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2017
    Stevensville MD
    From reading the quoted text from the MM site I think you're just reading it wrong. To be fair it's confusing the way they say it, I had to read it twice.

As an aside, I really wish we would stick to millimeters for this stuff, fractions of an inch is just odd.

PhatBottomBass1 and N4860 like this.
  19. I think if you get that diagram in mind and then use the information, then you would end up with a slight "stair-step" type effect in the adjustment.

Agreed?

Also, Metric. English, fractions, decimal...????

20. N4860

N4860

Mar 28, 2017
    Kitchener
    I understand what you are trying to say. We both agree that the neck pickup is supposed to be lower than the bridge pickup. And that is exactly what the MM instructions also suggest.

GregC likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 16, 2021