1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EBMM StingRay Special Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MD-BassPlayer, Jul 17, 2018.

1. N4860

N4860

Mar 28, 2017
    Kitchener
    I can see that you've got some rust on the pickup poles so maybe the humidity and oxidization may be causing an internal issue with the electronics. Just a guess though.

Zack K likes this.
  2. I am here in Florida and do a lot of outdoor gigs too with my SR5, but have never had a problem like that. Maybe you are getting some sweat by the pickup selector. Do you always use the same pickup selection? Is the battery connection good?

Zack K and N4860 like this.
  3. Chiliwailer

Chiliwailer

May 18, 2013
    London
    +1 for the battery. I now have a thin piece of card in mine to help keep it tight, due to that issue.

Spacewoman and Zack K like this.
  4. Bassndrums73

Bassndrums73

Mar 13, 2018
    Ohio
    Anybody use Rotosound Swing 66 stainless strings on their Stingray Special 4H and if so how does it sound?

BrentSimons likes this.
  5. Nobis17

Nobis17

Dec 18, 2018
    New England
    I used rôto 66 on all my other basses for nearly 25 years. When I got my SRS, after rhe slinkys wore out I slapped those on them. I thought they sounded good, rotos are super bright when they first go on the bass, but tend to deaden rather quickly. I found that true on the SRS as well. Since that time I have really just grown to prefer the EB strings on the EB bass :p. They really seem to complement each other well.

6. Moonskunk

Moonskunk

Jul 2, 2017
    I was thinking of putting some Roto 66 on my Stingray Special because I like them on my P bass but as someone mentioned they seem to die a sudden death. I even had one set that arrived DOA. I just put on some Regular Slinky 45 -105 and I immediately noticed more string tension. I had to readjust the truss rod there was too much relief. They sound great though with a little more authority over the stock Slinky.

BrentSimons likes this.
  7. bruno40gr

bruno40gr Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    Joining the club. And I'm loving this color combination.

PXL_20210218_185943158-01.jpeg

PXL_20210218_185959329-01.jpeg

8. byoung93888

byoung93888 Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Asheville, NC
  9. Moonskunk

Moonskunk

Jul 2, 2017
    You'll love the sound of that ebony fret board, it's tight!

P2050132mm.jpg

10. Bassndrums73

Bassndrums73

Mar 13, 2018
    Ohio
    Thanks for the replies on the Roto strings. I may give the regular Slinky’s a try. I’m used to more tension than the strings on it now although they do sound pretty good.

Moonskunk likes this.
  11. I was using Rotosounds, but just tried the regular slinky on my EBMM SR5 and like them alot and ordered 2 more sets.

Bassndrums73 and Moonskunk like this.
  12. Wolfhound32

Wolfhound32

Sep 10, 2013
    WA State
    She’s a beauty!
    I noticed you have the Dunlop strap locks; were they direct replacements, or did you need to modify the bass in some way?

13. bruno40gr

bruno40gr Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    Thank you. Yes smooth installation. Didn't have to touch the wood

Wolfhound32 likes this.
  14. Bassndrums73

Bassndrums73

Mar 13, 2018
    Ohio
    Here’s a shot of my new to me Stingray Special. Seller advised me it has EB Slinky Cobalts on it. They sound good. As I have time and money I want to try various strings on it to see if I like anything better but these aren’t bad. The neck feels great. F587942A-E8DC-4FDE-A38A-A13C8432C825.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
  15. toddj1s

toddj1s

Sep 13, 2007
    Johnson City, TN
    Nice rig, my man. You are blessed. My Stingray is the first bass I've had with a sanded neck, and I have to say I'm a fan. I really like DR Lowriders, if you're wanting to try something new.

Funny story...once had a young kid ask me why the strings weren't called vibrators since they vibrate to make sound. Out of the mouths of babes....

Bassndrums73 and Wolfhound32 like this.
  16. Cesar Vortmann

Cesar Vortmann

May 5, 2019
    I was preparing myself to practice and it looked so good with the sun shinning in it so I had to capture.

tempImage4P8SKR.png

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
  17. Wolfhound32

Wolfhound32

Sep 10, 2013
    WA State
    The roasted maple is such a beautiful match with the black body. A vintage look without the pretense ;)

Enjoy!

18. ComeHomeShane

ComeHomeShane Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2016
    Southern California
    After seeing the new colors for 2021 and the discontinue of the old color options, I decided to pull the trigger on this 5H Special in Ivory. Zero regrets. It somehow sounds even better than my 4H SRS. Maybe the extra 1.5 pounds adds some tonal heft? It came with the mint pg, really glad I bought the black separately. Love it.

To my surprise, the roasted maple neck is one piece! No separate fretboard. Idk why, but I was under the impression that even the all-maple necks had a separate maple fretboard. Regardless, it feels great and is solid as rock.

btw... Bass Central in Florida, great store, great customer service, very fair pricing. I live in So Cal and buying a bass from them was a breeze. Call and ask for JD!

I'll take some good photos later, for now this is all I've got.

9DDD9FB9-B4E5-45DF-A745-EE5ECDF546B4.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
  19. oldskoolskatedad

oldskoolskatedad

May 18, 2014
    Roasted maple looks great on a white body! FYI the fretboard is cut from the neck and glued back on after the truss is installed.

20. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Actually, the fretboard is separate. MM starts with one piece for the neck and board, then slices off the fretboard portion, routes for the truss rod, and glues the fretboard slice back on to the neck. This way the grain of the neck and fretboard matches up perfectly. There’s an older EBMM factory-tour video where Sterling Ball proudly demonstrates this. Very nice build quality. If you look closely, you’ll see a small seam.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021