1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. We are aware of an issue affecting search results for classifieds searches and advanced search functions.  Actively working on a fix, thanks for your patience!

EBMM StingRay Special Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RichSnyder, Jul 17, 2018.

1. 2milehighspike

2milehighspike Supporting Member

The neck is Birdseye maple, I think they only made less than 10 or 12 with that neck image.jpg image.jpg

2. N4860

N4860

Mar 28, 2017
    Kitchener
    Alright, I'll play the headstock game:

20210223_210139.jpg

3. Bassclef46

Bassclef46

Feb 1, 2021
    What kind of strings do you prefer on your stingray? I have the stock ebmm 45 to 100 on my 4h. And ebmm cobalt flats 45 to 105 on my 4hh. I was not expecting to love the cobalt flats but glad I put them on cause they are great.

4. 2milehighspike

The Cobalts are nice but IMHO they don’t last. Rounds I like DR Nickel Low Riders and for flats, well they not quite flats, but GHS Pressurewounds. Great harmonics with just the right amount of zing while still sounding like flats.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
  5. N4860

N4860

Mar 28, 2017
    Kitchener
    I've got an assortment of strings on my Ray's. I've got couple strung up with the stock slinky's (45-100), 1 with the super slinky's (40-95), 1 with D'addario half rounds, 1 with the cobalt rounds (40-95), and 1 with cobalt round (45-100). I also have a set of nylon tapewounds and some cobalt flats that I've thrown on one a Ray on occasion.

Bassclef46 likes this.
  6. GitmoMango

GitmoMango

Sep 5, 2019
    How long do the pressurewounds last you? I might have to give them a try but I always end up going back to slinkies.

7. 2milehighspike

They last a while. When I was gigging say 6 to 8 times a month, with practice and rehearsals they would last for a couple months. They wouldn’t fade fast or noticeable but when I put on a new set you could tell the difference, they need to settle in a little but when they do they’re consistent. I got my BFR fretless back in October and put a set on immediately and they still sound like new,but I’m am not playing as much with COVID and all.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
    GitmoMango likes this.
  8. Bassclef46

Bassclef46

Feb 1, 2021
    Nice. I have a brand new set of tapewounds but have not put them on yet. Just not sure if I would like it better than the cobalt flats.

N4860 likes this.
  9. N4860

N4860

Mar 28, 2017
    Kitchener
    I like the tapewounds more due to them being less stiff. I also tend to prefer the half rounds for this reason too. I do need to find some lower tension flats as I might prefer that. Maybe some TI's.

Bassclef46 likes this.
  10. Bassclef46

Bassclef46

Feb 1, 2021
    I also have a set of 3 (broke the G) tapes I should put on at least to try so I don’t open the new package. The tension of the flats was never an issue. I find the labella tapes to be very floppy. But that didn’t bother me either. I never tried halfwounds. I love daddario strings might have to give those a try too.

11. I've been bit by the Stingray bug and am having a hard time deciding between a 5HH and the Kinetic Blue BFR.

The BFR loses the iconic pickguard, but man that color is incredible.

GregC and kdubb24 like this.
  12. I’ve had 3 SS5 HH’s,sold them ultimately I bought the BFR because of the color and the look of the lack of pickguard, the H has always been great for me, plus the low B and ebony on this one is incredible. I also have other basses to get all the tone I need.

xKingfisher likes this.
  13. That's good to know. How does the color work in person? It is hard to find pictures showing off the transition

Cyborg and N4860 like this.
  14. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    california
    upload_2021-2-26_19-48-34.jpeg
    upload_2021-2-26_19-48-13.jpeg

Cyborg, WesC, _Obra_ and 13 others like this.
  15. 2milehighspike

. Yer killin me! I gotta figure out a way to get one. Being retired is great until you want to drop big coin on a bass, may have to pull some out of the piggy bank....to do it without the missus finding out may be tough!

16. Moonskunk

Moonskunk

Jul 2, 2017
    I wish they would come out with more colors that change their look according to light and viewing angle. The new colors coming out this Spring range anywhere from blah to putrid! Glad I am lucky enough to own a 4H and 4HH in two gorgeous colors from last year. Maybe later in the year a new crop of colors will pop up having more appeal.

17. bumble yeti

bumble yeti Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    It's doing it again. Note the E-string saddle. :blackeye:
    I reached out and EBMM is sending me another set of saddles. :cautious:
    Per EBMM, "We would recommend applying some loc-tite to the saddle height screws for a better hold."
    Hmm… Loctite on a new bridge. :eyebrow:
    IMG_1429.JPG

18. Wolfhound32

Wolfhound32

Sep 10, 2013
    WA State
    Back in the day we would use a drop of nail polish on the screws to keep that from happening...

19. bumble yeti

bumble yeti Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Yessir, I did that to the original saddles when they were barely a year old - documented here. These are their replacements, which are only about a month old. Never had to do that with any other EBMM bass I've owned.

Wolfhound32 likes this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 21, 2021