EBMM StingRay Special Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RichSnyder, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Bass7755

Bass7755

Oct 27, 2000
    Roanoke, Va.
    Ya see, it's kinda nice to ask questions and stir the pot a little. I ask my question not to dilute the EBMM line of basses or make them "uncool". But to start a conversation on what actual bass players would like to see. I wasn't demanding. I don't want to see them release a anniversary model every year or so. I totally want to see them keep up the great QC they're known for. I was just asking about getting some of the nice options our "skinny string" friends and band mates get. That's all!! I don't have some evil plan to take EBMM down the path that Fender had decided to take and hurt their brand.
    I have a wonderful Fodera that I absolutely love! But I play and enjoy my Stingrays and actually gig them more than the Fodera! So cutos to Scott for listening, being involved in this conversation and asking for suggestions!!
    Dan

2. Shaggai

Shaggai

May 7, 2018
    New Jersey
    Pino Palladino signature fretless - preferably at a lower price point than the Cliff Williams signature.

3. Long Overdue, I believe it has an ebony board on it now.

Shaggai, Lukasonbass and Bass7755 like this.
  4. Cazman

Cazman Supporting Member

May 9, 2003
    I have that exact ‘79 (color, fretboard). Pre EB. Love it! Had to replace Pre amp that went out a couple years ago. EB sent me an OEM replacement. Also have two SR specials. I’d grab the ‘79.... the specials will still be around a while.

_Obra_ likes this.
  5. Cesar Vortmann

Cesar Vortmann

May 5, 2019
    A wild idea: a Tony Levin Stingray with a Liquid Tension Experiment 3-inspired splash of color

6. byoung93888

byoung93888

Sep 29, 2011
    Asheville, NC
    A purple nebula stingray special 4hh with flamed roasted neck would get my money!

N4860 likes this.
  7. pineweasel

pineweasel

Nov 21, 2003
    Some more Stingray Special left handers.

8. Sam Crank

Sam Crank Supporting Member

May 16, 2020
    First, let me say that the Stingray Special is amazing (I have a 4HH in Ghostwood), absolutely phenomenal work on the update, top notch craftsmanship, feels great, sounds great, really a special instrument.

"If you could have anything?" - gasoline finish, roasted maple neck, no/clear pickguard Stingray (4 & 5 string)

web-luke3-hh-oc-burst-_0000_1.jpg

9. Lukasonbass

Lukasonbass

Dec 12, 2019
    New Hampshire
    Am I being ridiculous by wanting to sell my 2000 SR5 so I can fund another 2021 Special? Is it just me or are these things just that good?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
    N4860, byoung93888 and Nobis17 like this.
  10. byoung93888

byoung93888

Sep 29, 2011
    Asheville, NC
    Not at all, they are fantastic!

Lukasonbass likes this.
  11. ueezb

ueezb

Jun 8, 2020
    Germany
    I'd consider a black Special with chrome hardware and roasted maple a perfect match for me if I'm in for a Stingray (which will certainly be the case in the future, either H oder HH). Just like in the old color range. Unfortunately the new one with black hardware doesn't really do it for me.
    Also tinted natural with roasted maple and tort :bag:

12. N4860

N4860

Mar 28, 2017
    Kitchener
    I recently bought an SR5 Special to replace my older SR5 which I now have for sale.

byoung93888 and Lukasonbass like this.
  13. Rlbragg15

Rlbragg15

May 25, 2013
    ATL

I agree - I have the Black/chrome/maple 4H special. There is something about it that calls back to the original Rays that I love. All the new perks with that vintage vibe.

byoung93888 likes this.
  14. Lukasonbass

Lukasonbass

Dec 12, 2019
    New Hampshire
    Can anyone comment on the how the HH specials compare to Bongos? I specifically love the neodymium pickups, 18V preamp, the width/playability of the neck, and the low end on the SR5HH specials.

I love those things so much, that I don’t see myself ever using my SR5H again. Im wondering if a backup Bongo would serve me well? Obviously I need to try one out but curious to hear any opinions from fellow special owners

Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
  15. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    I see you already found my post below in another thread. I’ll share it here for others:

Lukasonbass likes this.
  16. Lukasonbass

Lukasonbass

Dec 12, 2019
    New Hampshire
    Any opinion on the low-end specifically? I’m wondering if they have similar abilities in that respect or if one happens to be beefier than the other? I play a lot of soul and reggae and sometimes that calls for an all consuming bass wave

17. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    I think the StingRays deliver more low end. The Bongo’s 24 fret neck moves the pickups toward the neck, and it’s 4-band pre either removes or adds low-mids.

GregC likes this.
  18. Bass7755

Bass7755

Oct 27, 2000
    Roanoke, Va.
    I'm thinking about that Bongo BFR Scott mentioned earlier on this thread. But I found out my Local music store just became a EBMM dealer. They said they have about 12 US made instruments coming in over the next few months. Basses are mostly Stingrays of various configurations. They said they could probably get one of the BFR Bongo's Scott mentioned. In the meantime they got a bunch of Sterlings in. Oh my this one is really nice. I have the cash to purchase it now but I might need the money for another USA Stingray or the BFR Bongo.
    I'd like to be able to swing both.

Attached Files:

GregC, Lukasonbass and byoung93888 like this.
  19. Lukasonbass

Lukasonbass

Dec 12, 2019
    New Hampshire
    That bass is sick! Is the neck all rosewood??

Bass7755 likes this.
  20. Bass7755

Bass7755

Oct 27, 2000
    Roanoke, Va.
    The neck and fingerboard is all really dark roasted maple. For an Indonesian instrument it was pretty awesome! I'm thinking about going back tomorrow an buying it.
    I'll have to figure out how to get the BFR Bongo later.

byoung93888, Lukasonbass and N4860 like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021