EBMM StingRay Special Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RichSnyder, Jul 17, 2018.

1. byoung93888

byoung93888

Sep 29, 2011
    Asheville, NC
    Nice!

drTSTingray and _Obra_ like this.
  2. Wolfhound32

Wolfhound32

Sep 10, 2013
    WA State
    Congrats!
    Double points for getting your new 'Ray in The Best Color Ever :D

3. bumble yeti

bumble yeti Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Oh, uh, there won't be any numbers, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness. So you got that goin' for ya, which is nice. :cool:

4. Scott Ball

Scott Ball Commercial User

Jun 13, 2018
    Ernie Ball Music Man
    Gunga Gulunga

5. bumble yeti

bumble yeti Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    ;)

Wood and Wire likes this.
  6. Wolfhound32

Wolfhound32

Sep 10, 2013
    WA State
    As I recall, we were using the NBD, or "intro post" post number as our club numbers. In which case yours would be #5880...
    If necessary, our friendly neighborhood moderators will correct me if I spoke out of line :)

_Obra_ likes this.
  7. Soberglitch

Soberglitch

Feb 14, 2021
    Oregon
    Love my charcoal sparkle. Just picked it up in the last month or two and it’s already the only bass I ever really play.

CBF2356A-8CB3-4F2D-8DE3-88D43AA105EA.jpeg

Cyborg, Strung_Low, BassGuyFL and 6 others like this.
  8. Wolfhound32

Wolfhound32

Sep 10, 2013
    WA State
    Sweet!
    That natural 'Ray is a real beauty too ;) There was one like that (natural) on our local Craigslist a few weeks ago, but sold before I could get the money together.

9. monkeyfinger

monkeyfinger Moderator Staff Member

New pickguard.

IMG_20210507_092019.jpg

scottm, toddj1s, drTSTingray and 21 others like this.
  10. Lukasonbass

Lukasonbass

Dec 12, 2019
    New Hampshire
  11. Strung_Low

Strung_Low Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2012
    San Franciskee
  12. monkeyfinger

monkeyfinger Moderator Staff Member

Thanks. I like how it came out.

13. Scott Ball

Scott Ball Commercial User

Jun 13, 2018
    Ernie Ball Music Man
  14. Mine has one as well - a little more traditional but nevertheless makes it look quite different (a bit belated - it’s had it for a while....)

77AFD1C2-81C5-4CA0-8B2F-4A91C7A5A5D8.jpeg

Strung_Low, Yetiparty, Cyborg and 8 others like this.
  15. bogie1519

bogie1519

Feb 25, 2012
    Beaumont Tex
    That neck is killer. Don’t think I’ve played anything better.

16. bogie1519

bogie1519

Feb 25, 2012
    Beaumont Tex
    Oh I wish I hadn’t seen the one on the right!

17. bogie1519

bogie1519

Feb 25, 2012
    Beaumont Tex
    I have the very same issue. Neck pickup over powering everything else. Before I change when you adjusted yours where the eq knobs all in the same slot

18. Hi Bogie 1519. I had a similar problem with using the HH version if the Stingray when I first got one in 2007. There are three key things
    1) When you use a setting with both pick ups in play (or just the neck) the amount of bass added is such that I find I need no bass boost on the preamp
    2) Both pick ups together can produce more scoop in the sound - the mid range needs to be at least at centre detent if nit boosted a touch
    3) Make sure the neck pick up is set lower from the strings than the bridge pick up - there are factory settings for these which you can get from the EBMM website. If it’s too close to the strings it will affect the sound.

I find I use my two pick up Stingrays or Sabre basses often. The Stingray Speciajs can produce a very good version of the Bernard Edwards Stingray sound. However I normally use both pick ups in humbucker mode live.

I’ve found that all of the settings on the switch need marginally different EQ settings to get the best sound. I hope you manage to get it to work for you - as someone who owns each variant of Stingray, and bought their first in around 1979, the Stingray Specials are great basses - probably the best Stingrays yet.

This is my other one
    15DE9851-80A6-4654-A98E-132AF78618FC.jpeg 48BD1884-584A-4E04-90F1-9B650399A1A8.jpeg

Last edited: May 11, 2021
    Cyborg, scottm, Lukasonbass and 2 others like this.
  19. bogie1519

bogie1519

Feb 25, 2012
    Beaumont Tex
    The Aqua looks just like mine. Your right on point 1-3 I have the same issues. Did you write if both pickups are used it's in humbucker mode? If so if I use just neck pickup what is it then. I've never hardly used the bass boast either.
    When you lower the bridge pickup will I lose some of that bottom? Will volume need to be adjusted also if pickup is lowered. Thanks for all the advice. My first EBMM hopefully it want be my last !!!

drTSTingray likes this.
  20. The aqua sparkle is a great colour - looks very different dependent on lighting.

If the neck pick up is too close to the strings it will be more bassy - the factory setting, IIRC, is lower than the bridge pick up but if you pluck the strings over it, it can also sound more bassy. I bought my Bongo bass used and the previous owner had the neck pick up really low - level with the pick guard) - I raised it subsequently but not much - with the 18 volt electronics it can be powerful.

The point I was making was my take is whenever you select any of the settings other than closest to bridge (bridge humbucker only) with the blade switch, then you get a bassier sound so need to be careful with any bass boost on the EQ - this is true on my 9 volt Ray HH, but more so on the Special because the pick ups are neo and the pre amp 18 volt.

The scooped sound is more pronounced on the centre setting of the blade switch (both pick ups in humbucker mode) so I tend to boost the mids, have the bass flat and treble to taste (might even be cut dependent on the music). Did anyone say, that gives a killer slap/pop tone and fat finger style sound. I generally start with this for any of settings other than the bridge H soloed (for which I start with bass and treble boosted slightly and leave mids at centre).

You can get a great dub reggae sound with the neck H (blade switch closest to neck), with a little bass and mid boost.

Blade switch position 2 is outer single coils and 4 is inner single coils (numbered from bridge end). Again, you may need to boost mids a little on these.

The EQ is very powerful on the Stingray Special and a little goes a long way!!

As I’ve said these HH Musicman basses do work for me, but it took a while to figure out how to get the best out of them - I guess my learning process was back in 2007, and a slight re-learn a couple of years ago with the Special.

I hope you manage to as they are great basses to own and play, as you know.

Bass7755, gazhowe and GregC like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021