1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EBMM StingRay Special Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RichSnyder, Jul 17, 2018.

1. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Sorry I just assumed you meant Flats. I haven’t tried the cobalt rounds on the SRS but I don’t think I ever will. I tried them on a jazz bass and thought they were the worst feeling and sounding strings I’d ever used in my life.

2. Maiden Bass

Maiden Bass Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2007
    Reno / Sparks, NV
    I feel the same way about flats.

Stevorebob and StrangerDanger like this.
  3. StrangerDanger

Jan 3, 2010
    I like a lot of different strings. Flats, tapes, Rounds and everything in between. The cobalts were absurdly rough and basically amplified every single frequency I don’t like to hear. Maybe they’d be great on a Stingray and I’m sure lots of folks like them. As always YMMV.

4. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    So you've had a weekend and a few days with the bass. How are you liking it so far? Mine is due to arrive friday.

HD007 likes this.
  5. maplenecked

maplenecked Supporting Member

Dec 1, 2017
    D.C.
    Oh sweet, happy new bass week! I’m loving it. I’m in so deep I’m thinking about giving my 4HH the axe :jawdrop:. I’m finding the string spacing advantageous to long practicing and learning sessions. When I go back to the 4 it feels kinda silly. I’m still a noob to bass (a year this month) and an ultra noob to 5 strings (1 month) so i figure these are some normal noob reactions. But I gotta say this is the finest instrument I’ve owned yet, and I’m excited for you to get yours!

The neck radius, ebony board on the roasted maple....yeah...you’re gonna be happy:cool: oh and the sparkle:hyper:

HD007 and lowdownthump like this.
  6. StrangerDanger

Jan 3, 2010
    Don’t sell the 4 for at least a year.

maplenecked likes this.
  7. Maiden Bass

Maiden Bass Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2007
    Reno / Sparks, NV
    I thought the Cobalts were excellent when I recently tried them!

And so does John Myung, who switched from the regular Ernie Ball nickels!

8. Treeman

Treeman

Sep 28, 2018
    Houston, Texas
    I have never been too in to Dream Theater, but there is something about John Myung's presence that I find mystically inspiring. And he's got me GASing pretty hard for a 5 or 6-string Bongo... Now that I'm a MM fanatic...

Maiden Bass and HD007 like this.
  9. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Who am I to disagree with John Myung? But here it goes: I really like Cobalt Rounds, but not on my Bongo 5HH. There’s an annoying ping that comes trough on the B- and E-strings when I fret, sounds like a high-tension cable ping. Something to do with the Bongo’s pick ups, pick-up placement or electronics — doesn’t happen with my StingRays. On my pre-2018 ‘Rays, Cobalt Rounds have a wonderful organic tone, like a deep wood block. (Haven’t tried Cobalt Rounds on my SR Special yet.) On my Bongo, the Cobalt Rounds are just metal on metal.

10. StrangerDanger

Jan 3, 2010
    He's a great player but definitely not the tone that I am shooting for. If it works for someone else then that's great. The Cobalts seem to have wildly different reactions.

11. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    That’s more Bongo than Cobalt in Myung’s tone there.

StrangerDanger likes this.
  12. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    OUT FOR DELIVERY!! :Dne day earlier than expected. :hyper:

13. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Whelp I must say that once again Ernie Ball MusicMan has exceeded my expectations .

You guys and gals were right.
    These new Specials are superb. Very versatile and comfortable to play. This one can’t be more than 8 1/2 - 9 lbs.

I’m so glad I was patient and didn’t buy the charcoal sparkle that was at my local GC. It was a sparkling black beauty but this aqua Sparkle is amazingly bluetiful!! Pics can’t do it justice but I’ll post some tomorrow.
    Neck smells great. Excellent build quality .

Mine must have been the last delivery of the night. I only got about an hour with it tonight. Spend the first 15 minutes smelling the neck and gazing at the finish.
    I think it’s the most beautiful bass I’ve ever seen.

14. HD007

HD007 Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2018
    Congratulations! Can’t wait to hear your impressions after you get more play time with your sparkling new beauty. Looking forward to pics as well.

lowdownthump likes this.
  15. PeterH

PeterH

Dec 31, 2015
    NY
    Alas, here I am still pained between the Classic and the Special! I'm probably going to go for the Classic 5, but what can you guys say about how you've found your tones after some time with the Specials?

16. StrangerDanger

Jan 3, 2010
    Classic has a slab body, heavier and less versatile preamp? Why would you want that? Just for the gloss neck? A heavier, less versatile and less comfortable instrument doesn’t seem all that appealing to me

17. Edmang

Edmang Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2013
    MA
    Some folks are fans of the 2-band EQ in the classic and think it sounds better than the 3 band. You also get the built in mutes.

18. StrangerDanger

Jan 3, 2010
    Fair enough. I got a Nordstrand Mute for that. Quicker and easier for me but it’s not a sound I would typically be looking for.

19. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    This isn’t the same 3 band EQ. For me, and opinions vary, the Special simply blows away previous MM designs. And that’s tough to do.

20. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    I always preferred the 2 band Stingray preamp to a 3 band ray preamp. I haven't tried the new one though, but it does sound smoother than the old ones from what I've heard and read, so I'd definitely go that route. Especially since it's lighter. Lots of nice upgrades, so kudos to EBMM. Perhaps one day I'll grab one, I'd like to.

StrangerDanger and lowdownthump like this.