1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EBMM StingRay Special Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RichSnyder, Jul 17, 2018.

1. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    I have gone back and forth with Super Slinkies, SIT Powerwounds and Ken Smith Slick Rounds. They all sounded different flavors of great. Haven't tried SS yet. The only SS that I like is DR DDTs. May try them at some point.

BlueMINI and oddentity like this.
  2. Chiliwailer

Chiliwailer

May 18, 2013
    London
    Gorgeous pair of Specials you’ve got there, nice one :thumbsup:

Have you noticed much of difference in tone between them?

lowdownthump and maplenecked like this.
  3. maplenecked

maplenecked Supporting Member

Dec 1, 2017
    D.C.
    The ebony fretboard might be a little snappier in the highs. But it’s probably just the brand new strings.

Chiliwailer likes this.
  4. maplenecked

maplenecked Supporting Member

Dec 1, 2017
    D.C.
    This 5 string is so cool. Can't get enough! I'm kinda liking having flats on the 4 and rounds on the 5 so far. I do have a set of 5 string TI flats coming though...for science

lowdownthump likes this.
  5. It’s definetly snappier. I hardly have to boost the highs past 11oclock

6. StrangerDanger

Jan 3, 2010
    When I AB’d the maple HH and the ebony H, I definitely could tell a difference but it wasn’t enough to overcome the flexibility of the HH.

7. MMiller28

MMiller28

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Strings

8. StrangerDanger

Jan 3, 2010
    What about them?

9. Treeman

Treeman

Sep 28, 2018
    Houston, Texas
    The other night I pulled off the Slinks and put the Cobalt Flats back on. Before doing so, I tried out a trick I read on the Cobalt Flats thread of wiping them down with 90% isopropyl, then steel wool, then finishing again with the alcohol (I know...really a silly thing to have to do with your strings); and I think I got the feel to about 85-90% of what I would hope for. Practicing at home, they sound really lovely. Just mighta learned me that I'm a flats-on-a-Ray guy, but probably best to stick to brighter flats to keep thank sting stangin'. New mission is to give 'em a shot in the band mix, and if they do well go ahead and change out for something like Slick Rounds, Chromes, or the EB Group flats.

Tried to go back into the mystic and figure out what it was that pulled me to the 'Ray anyway. It was seeing a pic of Carl Radle driving one of the very early ones... Golly that guy had feel like nuthin' else. Listened to the last album he did with EC, Backless, and am certain he's playing that 'Ray. Listen to that opening run on "Walk Out in the Rain," that left me with the StingRay STING and I have not been the same! RIP, Carl.

Attached Files:

10. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    So, I'm trying to install a Hipshot d-tuner on the 4HH. The BT13 model from Hipshot should be the correct model, but it has the tuner head from Bongos. Hipshot said they don't plan on making a d-tuner for the Special yet, but I could reassemble my tuner with the BT13 and that should work since the tuning machines are the same.

But!! I can't get the cloverleaf off of the tuner. Sent an email to support to see if I'm doing something wrong, so I'll update when I hear back from them. I don't want to force it because you can't buy this tuner anywhere. Screw it up and I have a 3 string, heh.

11. Kevin Wolfe

Kevin Wolfe Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2018
    Lakeland, Florida
    +1 on Carl Radle. One of my early idols and still an absolute favorite to this day.
    “Motherless Children” from 461 O.B. Wow.

HD007 and StrangerDanger like this.
  12. Maiden Bass

Maiden Bass Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2007
    Reno / Sparks, NV
    Anyone try Cobalts on a Special yet?

StrangerDanger likes this.
  13. StrangerDanger

Jan 3, 2010
    @Treeman has

14. Is anyone using a wireless system (e.g. Line6 G-series) with their SR Special? If so, how does it cope with the 18V preamp?

15. StrangerDanger

Jan 3, 2010
    I use a Line 6 G10. It works perfectly

Jughead6 likes this.
  16. Maiden Bass

Feb 11, 2007
    Reno / Sparks, NV
    And how did they sound on the Special?

17. Bardolphus

Bardolphus Put some stank on it... Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    No issues with a SR5S and the Shure GLXD14R system.

Jughead6 likes this.
  18. Treeman

Treeman

Sep 28, 2018
    Houston, Texas
    I've just recently put on a set of Cobalt Flats I've been keeping around (bought this past spring and couldn't make 'em work on my P-Bass (moreso my fingers than the P-Bass...more on that below)). So, I have tried the flats but have not yet touched the Cobalt rounds.

I have not yet had the chance to use them in a band mix, but foolin' around at home I think they sound really nice. Not quite the roundwound "zing" as advertised, but I am happy with that. Harmonic content sounds gently controlled in all the right places for a 'Ray, while the fundamental pushes through with a modest amount of thump. They absolutely inhabit that space between rounds and traditional flats, and the EQ on the Special is super usable with them. I'm finding that keeping knobs at detente sounds plenty great, with any adjustments not needing to be too dramatic. Just a touch of highs gets you back into roundwound territory, and just a touch back gets you more into the territory of traditional flats. But this is all at home...will have to update once I am able to play out with 'em.

I'm not crazy about the feel of them, though. From all I've read, folks either complain of a chalky-type friction causing finger drag, or have no idea what folks are complaining about and claim they're as smooth as glass. Must be a skin-type thing causing the polarization.... Mine gave me blisters on the plucking hand when I played them with the band all Memorial Day weekend, but I polished them with steel wool and alcohol before getting them onto the 'Ray and that took some of the texture down.

19. Maiden Bass

Feb 11, 2007
    Reno / Sparks, NV

Thanks, but I was asking about the Cobalt rounds. If anyone has tried Cobalt rounds on a Stingray Special please let us know!

I am wondering how the new pickups and preamp will work with the higher output and wider frequency range of the Cobalt rounds!

:thumbsup:

P02732.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  20. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    I’ll get astound to it eventually. Cobalt Rounds have been my go-to strings for my StingRays. I’m guessing I’ll like them on the StingRay Special.

Maiden Bass likes this.