1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EBMM StingRay Special Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RichSnyder, Jul 17, 2018.

1. I'm now happily using Chromes on my SR5 Special. I use either Chromes or 9050's on all of my electric basses, so it was a logical choice. Certainly there is a loss of top end bite, but the fundamental character of the instrument seems to still be there.

lowdownthump likes this.
  2. BigDrew

BigDrew

Jun 1, 2016
    LI-NY
    Hello all! I have a Special that is the blacked out version (ebony board, black hardware, etc.). I played a black Special with a maple board at a shop last night. However, this bass weighed like half of my Special! Now my Stingray is not necessarily heavy, but I wouldn't be surprised if the bass I played last night weighed like under 8lbs! Should I sell or trade in mine for the other??

TrentB likes this.
  3. HD007

HD007 Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2018
    Light basses are awfully nice on the shoulders...just sayin!

4. Cazman

Cazman Supporting Member

May 9, 2003
    Yeah but those ebony boards are special. Real weight difference?
    Just sayin....

5. BigDrew

BigDrew

Jun 1, 2016
    LI-NY
    The weight was like night and day.

Sooooo....am I changing basses?? What say you TB?

HD007 likes this.
  6. Cazman

Cazman Supporting Member

May 9, 2003
    Too subjective. Can’t be TB’ers call. It’s your bass and what’s most important to you.
    Cheerios!

7. BryanB

BryanB Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Since you didn't mention anything about the sound or playability of either one, I am going to assume they are about equal. In that case, if it was me, I would take the lighter one. I know I will still really appreciate the weight many months and years from now.

StrangerDanger likes this.
  8. HD007

HD007 Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2018
    I would swap for the lighter one.

9. TheBass

TheBass

Jul 2, 2004
    Earth
    I have the Cobalt flats on my SR5 classic and on my Sterling 4 since +4months. Playability is fine and smooth, as you would expect from other flats too. Fresh Cobalt flats to me sounds similar in the bass range than D'Addarios Chromes but have better presence and articulation in highs an upper mids. Very balanced tone for slapping and finger style with minimum string noise. Sits perfect in the band mix.

The thing I am amazed most of is that they do not seem to age in tone. After +4months of continous playing for 1-2hrs/day there is almost no degradation in tone, especially not in the highs. It's almost like they are fresh.

Any other Cobalt flat users experiencing the same ?

bovinehost likes this.
  10. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Does the weight difference really matter? I mean, is the weight if the ebony-board bass an issue? If so, switch out. If you’re in a lighter-is-better competition — I don’t know, really?

11. maplenecked

maplenecked Supporting Member

Dec 1, 2017
    D.C.

Does weight matter to you? Or do you think it does because of the social influence of talk bass? Social influence seems to matter to you since you're asking us. Not that there is anything wrong with that. Just need to reflect on what is important to you.

12. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    To me, ideal is about mid 8 lbs in weight. That's what I like for balance, tone, shoulder. I'm at 8lbs 9 oz currently on my 4HH, so it's ideal. If I had should issues, I would try to hunt the unicorn, but most of the Specials are 2 lbs lighter than the previous model, so I'm good.

lowdownthump likes this.
  13. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    I exchanged mine for a lighter one. Saved quite a bit of weight. It was definitely the right move for me.

14. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Hopefully the heavy one I traded in found it’s forever home

15. maplenecked

Dec 1, 2017
    D.C.
    77D4A0F5-0C00-4C80-839C-14B0E99CF04D. D5B676AB-4C35-445A-ABDC-D931457B07B5.

The 5HH Aqua Sparkle showed up today. The Sparkle is intensely shiny and cool. 9lbs 6oz. The ebony is jet black all the way through. Now it’s time to shake the house before the kids go down:bassist:. My only complaint is that the neck isn’t as fragrant as the maple one :roflmao:

First purchase from CME, they pack really well.

16. HD007

HD007 Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2018
    Oooh that is pretty!

lowdownthump and maplenecked like this.
  17. is there any B string buzz going up the neck? Curious about the pickup height from the factory.

18. maplenecked

Dec 1, 2017
    D.C.
    None so far, I might change the strings in a few weeks and see if there is any magnetic pull if I drop the string height then. It's setup stellar right now

Groovegestapo likes this.
  19. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    drool

HD007, Groovegestapo and maplenecked like this.
  20. Has anyone tried Stainless steel strings with these basses? Slinky nickels are my go to. Just curious