Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EBS TD heads

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by IvanMike, May 15, 2005.

1. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i was just in one of my local shops and gave a couple of the newer ebs td heads a whirl. (i think they were something like td-350 and td-650)

holy moly! what great sounding heads! not a ton of knobs but between the standard eq bands, a couple of switches, and a knob that controlled some kind of character or drive or something, these heads seemed to be able to get almost any tone, from polite and refined to assertive and in your face.

i wonder if they make a preamp that is the same as these heads?

2. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    i think their v1 classic would get you pretty close

3. Jackbass

Jackbass

Dec 19, 2003
    Paris (FRANCE)
    In fact, there is only one TD head: the 650!
    The other do not have tube in the preamp section and is called HD350.

If you want the preamp of this head, without tube, check the Microbass2 preamp.

4. Actually the EBS Fafner model number is TD-600. I've been raving about my blue-stripe for a while.

5. They are nice sounding heads. The 'bright' control is really great if you are a slapper... it's basically works like a variable bright switch, only affecting the very, very high frequencies (Marcus Miller is using a 350 now). I've owned both the 350 and the 650 and compared them on another thread. Briefly, the 650 and 350 are almost identical, except that the 650 obviously has more wattage (more on that in a second) and also has a true tube 'overdrive' section. They both sound great. The compression circuit is the best 'in amp' model I've used... totally transparent.

However, the 650 is rated at 650 watts only into 2ohms... it's 440 watts into the more typical 4ohm load, which puts it very close the the much smaller (2 space versus 3 space), lighter and less expensive 350. Also, the 350's 'tube emulator' sounds very, very good. So, IMO, unless you plan on running multiple cabs down to 2ohms, the 350 is probably the better buy.

6. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I'm sure that one of the moderators might jump in here :D but you might want to do a search. There have been some discussions on the EBS preamps.

I have a Fafner and it sure seems loud for the 440 watts it puts out. ;)

7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i am one of the moderators.................... :p

my search was sort of fruitless unfortunately

8. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Try harder...with the right amp designation. :eyebrow:

But seriously, I had an HD-350 for a while last year, and really loved it. It's cool for a lot more than just slapping, in my experience. I just happened to land a jazz gig on EUB right after I got the EBS, and I like some other amps better for that application, so I sold it. It was great for fretless BG for fusion though, so I kinda wish I'd hung onto it.

9. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I was just teasing you :D :bag:

But honestly there were a couple of threads about which of the EBS pres were closest to the Fafner and TD650. thejohnkim mentions the V1.

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Uh huh, uh huh.