1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Eden EX112 speaker swap?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by deluxejusa, Jan 9, 2018.

1. deluxejusa

deluxejusa

Jan 30, 2012
    I bought this cabinet originally for home practice and low volume rehearsals. I have never dug the tone. I wanted to get thoughts on what I should do with it. It currently sits at home for practice, but it would be nice to take a small cab to gigs when a big one just isn't needed. Should I just sell it and look at other small cab options? Or replace the speaker, which would also mean no horn, as it only has enough room for a single 12. Thanks for all responses in advance!

2. SJan3

SJan3

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    I don't think replacing the spkr is going to make it any better.
    It's a small cab not designed for high output. I'd sell it if you're not happy and look at some of the current offerings.

Al Kraft and BassmanPaul like this.
  3. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    ^ This. OP, if you feel you're definitely gonna miss the tweeter, any off-the shelf replacement with a whizzer cone (by Eminence or Fane) may end up performing worse in the cabinet (OTOH you might like the tone better, but it's either a question of luck or time+money). The possible alternatives would be enquiring into nice-sounding stand-alone (non-whizzer) woofers whose parameters predict they'd play nice in the enclosure, and/or adding an external piezo tweeter box, like the velcroable one MarkBass makes.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    SJan3 likes this.
  4. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    May ask what you don't like about the Eden cab' tone? I ordered one last week, UPS lost it. Hopefully the replacement will arrive today, Tuesday. I've been using a GK CX210 for restaurant gigs. I just added a EarCandy 110 on top of the CX210 and I can hear my rig better but I feel the 210 is just too boomy for this place.

I was going to order a EX110 to go with my 110 cab but didn't read great things of the Eden EX110 cab here. So I felt to still stay with a small cab to add to my 110, I bought the Eden EX112. I use a 5 string fretless bass and a TC-E BH550/w some TonePrints-Chorus thrown in at this restaurant we gig about once a month. Guess I'll know soon enough if the 8 ohm,EX112 is the right choice. Cab (hopefully) arrives this time so I can try it at the Mardi Gras gig at same place next Tuesday. Be nice to be able to use a 112+110 at this and a couple other restaurants we gig. Fingers crossed.

@OP have you considered a second EX112 to maybe get a bigger, possibly better tone you can use for gigs? Also, if you just go with a different cab, this 8ohm, GK CX210 is an impressive, lightweight, lower priced cab that I've used at med-sized club gigs with loud band. Again with a 5 string bass, GK MB800 head. It held it's own and with no PA support. Guessing two of these cabs would be a nice 210 or 410 setup as needed for the room.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  5. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    My new mini-rig of doom. Trying it first time at gig Tuesday, so far sounds pretty OK at home practice volumes.
    EdenEX112b.

6. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    keep it the way it is. i got one of these, use it with a small 200w power amp and tiny tube preamp, sounds fantastic. way better lows than i though. great little cab for small gigs or bar gigs with reasonable volume musicians.

SJan3 likes this.
  7. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    +1...great advice! This cab is excellent at what it does, but admittedly limited by some of its design aspects. I really like these little cabs for small and acoustic gigs (I own an EX110), but when the need arises for huge volume and brighter top end/booming bass, there are better options IME.

SJan3 likes this.