1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Eden Metro comments?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rp911, Mar 27, 2009.

1. rp911

rp911

Mar 7, 2005
    I am looking for a bass rig that will be used primarily for recording and rehearsal purposes; it will live in my studio and rarely, if ever, go to a gig.

I was looking at some of the GenzBenz Shuttle combos at the local music store today, and they had a preowned Eden Metro combo on hand. I liked the sound of it, and it had a lot more power than the Shuttle 6.0, which might come in handy, since the band has two drummers and gets a little loud at rehearsal. And, I have a 5-string.

They wanted $1k for it, which seems high, especially since there are new B-stock ones available for $1029 online.

Then I read some of the user reviews at Harmony Central and it seems a large percentage of those folks had reliability problems with theirs.

Any comments? $1k is about my budget. I also have an Acoustic Image Focus 2R head that I use to power a guitar rig with, so I could just pick up a 2X10, but while it sounds nice and warm, I'm looking for a little more tone shaping ability, especially for recording. Seemed very easy to dial in great tone on the Eden.

Thanks!

2. staccatogrowl

staccatogrowl Savoring time on a spinning, shimmery, aqua sphere Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2006
    Edenites believe that the Metro is about the best sounding combo available. However, it's large, heavy, and has handles placed to make lifting difficult. Hand truck is mandatory for moving situations. All of this is less important for studio use.

How old is the used unit? The question is interesting because some believe that the older units are better. However, online purchase has 45-day trial. You could actually buy new, and compare new and old at your music store.

Or, you could also take your Focus IIr to the music store and plug it into the Metro cabinet, determining if the sound you favor is actually the cabinet. If so, then a D210XLT may be in your future. A D210XST could also be very cool.

My favorite bass tones come from Eden and Acoustic Image heads matched with Eden cabinets. My customer service experiences (seldom needed) have been excellent with both companies.

Enjoy your quest.

3. the engine

the engine Guest

If you have the chance, try an SWR SuprRedhead before you buy. You should be able to find one of those (used) for around $1K or even less. I own one. It is a 2-10 combo like the Eden. The sound is really nice to me. I've used it for practices with large bands and it did fine by itself. It has some nice recording features on it as well. And as far as reliability, I've done over 1,000 gigs with mine and it hasn't let me down yet! The only thing I've had to do is replace the fan (a cheap plug in) and the preamp tube (a 12AX7) but that's to be expected. I played mine out a lot but I think it's a GREAT studio rig. Cheers.

4. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    IMHO, the Eden Metro is one of the better combo amps ever.
    As long as you don't have to move it you'll love it!
    If you do play out with it remember it's only a 2-10, (a near-field monitor.)

5. bamabass

bamabass

May 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    The eden metro is ONE of the the best combos out there, but IMHO, 1K is a bit much for a used one. I have seen them as low as 750, but usually around the 800-875 range.

6. rp911

rp911

Mar 7, 2005
    Thanks for the thoughts, I'll looking into the Redhead.

$1029 for a new B stock Metro is awfully tempting though.

7. metro?? i had one, briefly, but sold it --- did not like it all. muddy and glassy at the same time.

check out ashdown's stuff, too. they have a cool ABM 2X10 combo

8. buckminster

buckminster Banned

Apr 29, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    The Metro is a great combo, especially the solid state channel. It would be great for studio use, because you could somewhat equalize the low-mid bump out of the cabinet. Or you could just go direct out from the head.

9. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    Absolutely great amp. Pair it with another 210 XST or an Avatar210Neo and you'll have your maximum 620 watts out of it. Nice if it can be left at the studio. ALL combo amps are WAY too heavy for my liking, especially this one. Hard to beat the tone. Daivd Nordschow form Eden also designed the Redhead, I've been told. I still like the Eden's tone better.

10. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    I was looking to upgrade to an Eden from my GK BackLine 600, I plan to be gigging out this summer.

My guitar teacher who has been in this bass business for years, just said, No, upgrade to an upper end GK head.

blue

11. Hey all,

Recently sold my Metro to kraig007, here on TB, and my boys in the band miss it!!

A bit awkward and front-heavy for two person carry (c'mon Eden, move the handles just a bit toward the front) but great power and tone!!!

I went modular and lighter.

Later, Kirk

12. I like the Eden Metro but Prefer the SWR Redhead by a pretty significant margin...The Redhead is easier to move and sounds better to me. I used one for years and paired with a suitable 210 or 410 it is a great stage rig. I had a Metro for about 2 months after I sold my Redhead (wanted to try the Metro) but I did not care for it for the reasons already mentioned. I do not use a lot of low end but I had problems with the Metro Farting out too regularly to suit me as well. The handle placement is awful and pretty much eliminates one from moving it a lot by yourself. It is heavy and bulky and next to impossible to load into a car by yourself unless you are willing to give yourself a hernia with some regularity....YMMV but that is my $.02....For what its worth I went with a more modular approach at the time and got a separate head and cab and I was much happier as a result....

Peace,

T

13. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sweetwater Sales Engineer
    Great combo. Hard to move. 1K is way too much for it.

Dan

14. babebambi

babebambi

Jan 7, 2008
    YTZ
    +1

both the Metro and Redhead are great combo
    Metro warmer; Redhead cleaner.
    But 1K is too much

15. I bought a used Metro back in '99. The night after I bought it, I had a gig that required carrying the Metro up a flight of stairs. Not fun. I'm not a little guy, but I didn't want to go through that again, so I sold it.

I always recommend a separate head and cab.

16. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    +1

17. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    that seems way high for used.

a very heavy combo too.

i had an eden 210XLT and wt-400 for years (pretty much a metro as seperates) The sound is cool if you like it, but as some have said the redhead may be more to your liking, and so may a number of other similar amps.

Unless you're married to the idea of having a combo i would strongly reccomend getting a seperate head and cab. Easier to move, and much more flexible.

18. funkytoe

funkytoe Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Northern California
    I agree 100%. Loved my Metro. Better than my old Super Redhead in my opinion. The Metro has better compression - a very musical amp. Sounded even better with a 2x10 extension cab to get the full wattage from the head. Eden 210 XST was my favorite.

$1,000 is high. You can get a nice one in the $700-$800 range. See if they will sell in that range.

Best bass combo on the market in my opinion/experience.

19. rockiezz

rockiezz

Feb 5, 2009
    Hudson, Ohio
    I played a Metro for three years, Great Sound but heavy. At first I moved it around and I always seemed to want more speakers so I put the 4-10 under it, now I was really lifting a ton. I ended up with it in a house gig, never moved it. Got an offer, Sold. I should of learned when I had the Redhead, I didn't like that one either because of weight, the Eden sounded better and held value better. I am in the progress of finding an amp now, Like the Mark Bass, waiting for the new stuff, hope it comes out quick, and I'm looking into the Carvin bx500, nice for the price and only 6-lbs.

20. rp911

rp911

Mar 7, 2005
    Shop doesn't seem inclined to lower the price, so I will pass on the preowned one. The b-stock Metro at $1049 is a much better deal with a warranty.

I am also a big fan of separates; it seems a b-stock Eden 2X10 can be had for $500, so that leaves $500 (or so) for a head. I'm looking at their little WTX500 at $650, seems like that would be a nice little rig, and if I can tap the power amp through the effects loop like I can on my Focus 2R, it could serve as a backup power for my guitar rig as well.

That is, if it ever actually ships, right?