1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Eden vs. GK - More Warmth?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Hippos Melas, Nov 30, 2010.

1. engedi1

engedi1

Sep 16, 2005
    Nashville
    Just to throw in my $.02. Neither of these amps are what I would consider warm sounding when compared to the TC Electronic RH450 or Classic 450. I have just picked up one of these and it really does deliver a warm sound. It does have a high end roll off and an AMAZINGLY powerful and flexible eq. The only thing you can't do is dial the uber high end back in. It weighs 8 lb's, is loud as hell, and sounds fantastic if you want more vintagey tone. It also has a buily in compressor and tube emulation circuit that I just love. You can score the Classic 450 new for around $500 I think.
    Cheers!

2. Ya, and my MB TA501 is loud, loud, loud. :cool:

3. woody357

woody357 Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2005
    I agree with you, but IMHO it depends on the music you play. I play R&B/Funk, and Smooth Jazz, and have never had to turn my amp up to half, but Rockers will turn up past half. It's the music you play.

4. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    I'm a big fan of the WTX-500, at least with the time that I've spent with it in the shop (which is a lot). It's a great sounding amp I think.

I've had two different Eden heads in the past that both crapped out on me though, so I'm really wary of buying another one.

5. If I was going to buy anything from TC Electronic, it would be an RH450. I like the programmable stuff. I might see what I can snag one used for...I really, really like what I see online about the TubeTone and being able to change the frequencies of the EQ on a whim. And having 3 programmable presets. And a multi band compressor...but I hate the $1000 price tag. :p

EDIT: Just read up on the RH450. Does TC Electronics plan on releasing an updated RH450 this summer/winter/soon?

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    i wouldn't say "the living daylights." just a tiny bit as you dig into the strings as hard as you can. i really wouldn't have noticed it if i didn't do the comparo with my svt.

7. MB500 Fusion, VT pedal, Genz-Benz Streamliner 900 ...

These are good options.

I can make my G-K 1001RBII not sound hi-fi, I turn off the contur and presence and add the VT ... Warm and growly ... Totally works!

Cheers.

8. engedi1

engedi1

Sep 16, 2005
    Nashville
    I think TC is working on a similar amp but with more power, and a tweeter tone knob to add back in the high end that they roll off. I can't tell you how much I love this amp, worth every penny in my book. You can probably score a used Rh450 for under $700 here on TB. A lot of people tried them initially and didn't like them, and are selling them virtually unused.

9. I'm not worried about the price. I can save my money. What I'm concerned about is the stereo input. It only goes to the headphone jack and not the speaker. I'd kind of like it to.

10. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Orange Park, Florida
    Gasaholic
    I had a TC RH450, 2 of them in fact. The most overrated amp ever to hit the marketplace IMO and judging from how many are for sale in the classifieds I would bet that there are a lot of people that would agree. Sounded good in my bedroom, but gets totally lost in the mix on stage. My WT400 blew it away as far tone and being heard in the mix.

11. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    Interesting..... perhaps you might describe the difference in tone between the RH450 and WT-400 (and why the Eden worked better live)?

12. engedi1

engedi1

Sep 16, 2005
    Nashville

Well, the RH450 has a baked in eq setting of being midrangey, without low bass or super high extension. Hence, it sounds warm and vintagey, which is the goal. If you were an Eden lover prior to this, that makes sense that you wouldn't like it much. I have never liked SWR or Eden stuff that much myself. I replace an Imp800 with this amp, and have found a new level of bass joy. But then again, I am TRYING to get a warm, vintage tone without having to haul a 75 lb svt around. This is the best fit for that goal that I have found and seems to be the tonal goal of the op.
    Regarding the mix issue, I have had NO problems whatsoever with this, but then again, I am not playing in metal or hard rock bands. There is much discussion the Rh450 threads, that this amp does NOT match well with certain cabs, especially cabs with huge low end extension that require vast amounts of power. That is why I also bought the TC cabs which are very efficient and sound AMAZING with the RH450, but again, with the goals of sounding kindof like an Ampeg.

13. engedi1

engedi1

Sep 16, 2005
    Nashville
    Ah yes, much complaining about this on the RH450 thread. My question is, how many amps out there have a stereo input let alone a headphone input? I view this is as an add on feature, and not a selling point.

14. Yunior

Yunior

Jul 11, 2018
    Canada, Ontario
    Me too, for my style and my perspective as i dont do so much of slapping, i play funk so better warm and dinamic than bright.

15. Yunior

Yunior

Jul 11, 2018
    Canada, Ontario
    Exactly, this is true Too modern will be like too Bright for most of people tought includding me, however turning the twitter down will mudd it low the brightness however the tones will get lost as well slighly so maybe not the nest choice! I will recommend if you most of your Gig play warm no so modern get a Eden WT 550 or 800 clear Lows tones perfect for Reague/Jazz and latin music, POP music, Church Music, Gospel.... however if you cant afford these prices $1,200 to $2,200 brand new then get it use locally or go fow older model like Eden WT300 use can get down to $400. Also if its easier getting GK you can go for it! tones can get low similar to Eden but never as clear low as eden but will do the job.

16. "Q"

"Q"

Feb 9, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    Necromancy!!