Edicson Ruiz Playing Dragonetti on Cornerless Landolfi

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by CaseyVancouver, Feb 4, 2019.

1. CaseyVancouver

CaseyVancouver

Nov 4, 2012
    Really enjoy Edicson Ruiz playing and musical interpretation.

Here he is playing Dragonetti with Dragonetti’s actual bow, by J. Dodd 1800. His bass is a 3 string 1750 Landolfi cornerless. This in the same room at Berlin Arts University that Paul Hindemith rehearsed and recorded in.

Ruiz started playing with the Berlin Phil at 17. His teacher is Klaus Stoll.

This by Ruiz, is also interesting:
    Masterclass: Dittersdorf Double Bass Concerto, K172

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  2. tonequixote

tonequixote

Feb 6, 2004
    Maine
    I haven't heard or seen anything by Edicson Ruiz that doesn't leave a lasting impression on me.

His latest recording , "New Music for Double Bass and Oboe" is an incredible display of his talent.

Deo Gratias.

3. Edicson is a real master. his playing is incomparable... like a.......

(hah)

a while back I reached out to him via email and not only did he respond, but he displayed pure class in doing so. such an amazing person. I have so much respect for him.

forgive me if this is an ignorant question - about his bass- does he play this cornerless bass with the berlin phil, or is this just his solo bass?

4. LaFaro01

LaFaro01

Aug 27, 2018
    I just can't believe, that Mr. Ruiz is playing a 3 string Bass in an actual philharmonic orchestra ;) and if you look at the website of the "Berliner Philharmoniker", you can see him with a 5-string bass, which might be one of his "duty-basses"..:)
    I believe according to his website, that the 3-stringer is one of his personal instruments, but there might be some others...

5. tonequixote

tonequixote

Feb 6, 2004
    Maine
    I've seen and heard him play it with The Berlin Philharmonic front and center.

Lots of YouTube content listed under "DoubleBass Venezuela".

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  6. LaFaro01

LaFaro01

Aug 27, 2018
  7. tonequixote

tonequixote

Feb 6, 2004
    Maine
    groooooove likes this.
  8. Love hearing those open-string notes ring and sing.

CayGee likes this.
  9. CayGee

CayGee

Feb 21, 2018
    Massachusetts

10. CaseyVancouver

CaseyVancouver

Nov 4, 2012
    My understanding is the big German orchestras own those 5 string basses, and issue them to the players. These bassists own 4 string basses they use for other work. The Landolfi bass has been seen fitted with 3 and 4 strings.

Edicson Ruiz plays 3,4, and 5 string basses, in various tunings.

groooooove, tonequixote and CayGee like this.