Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Edirol R-1

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Chris Fitzgerald, Dec 1, 2004.

1. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Anybody have any experience with one of these? They seem almost too good to be true for those of us looking for a simple stereo recording of live performances. I don't know a damn thing about that storage media, either. Is it common/reliable/likely to stick around for awhile?

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Both that and the R-4 Seem like amazing packages for quick and easy recording.

the r-4 has a built in HD, so that makes it pretty neat, the R-1 uses compact flash, which is the same media used in many digital cameras.(SD and Compact flash are the two most popular) It's cheap, and easy to interface with a computer.

They are both really new, so I haven't seen them anywhere, but in theory they look like excellent products.

3. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    What do you know about the flash media? Based on the specs, I could deal with the recording times possible with 1 or 2 gb of flash memory, but I have no idea how much this might cost or where to look.

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    1GB CF media is now under $100 every day at places like Best Buy.

I just saw some sales on 512MB cards for $30!!!

5. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Under $100? Damn, I need to see one of these suckers in person! If I could just walk into a gig, set the box down, turn it on, then dump into the computer at the end of the night, that would be amazing.

6. That is a cool product. The R-1 costs $439, the R-4 $1700. Which makes them somewhat less spectacularly cool. $250 and $600 would be my serious consideration prices.

7. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    I think you'll see a lot of copycat products come out around mid 2005. Roland gear is usually pretty expensive but you pay for innovation and quality so take it for what you will. The R1 looks like a dream come true for no nonsense hard disk recording.

8. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I've been lookin at these too fer the same reasons as Chris. Does anybody know if they're out yet?

I agree there will be a bunch of ripoffs in six months, but for all I know these won't actually make it to market until mid 2005. I keep hearing the release is pushed back.

I was dead set on the Edirol until I saw this....

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/241106/

It's definitely more laptop sized than I-pod sized, but has a 40GB HD! and would give me much more to play around with at the house (as well as set up two mics on the gig and record stereo). I dunno. The Tascam is a bit less money as well.

9. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I dunno. Sure, it would be more fun around the house, but I already have a recording rig for around the house. Plus, the absence of XLR inputs or preamps means yet more stuff to carry. I like the built in mics on the Edirol. I'll definitely be watching this type of product.

10. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I'd probably get alot more use out of the Edirol as well. I really mainly just want to record my practice sessions and gigs. The question is, is it out?

Will

11. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I just pre-ordered one of these from www.soundprofessionals.com because they said their order would be in this week and they'd have between 3-6 extras. I guess they're as tough to find as all giddout. If you want one I would get on the stick. (Unless you've already got one!)

Will

12. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Will - please give us a report when you get a chance to check it out, willya?

13. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Will do. Evidently battery life is extended up to five hours when you use high capacity rechargable AA's. I didn't order them, a 1gig flash card, or external mics because I wanted to check out the unit before I accessorized.

I'll do even better than a report, I'll plant it next to my wife at my quartet's monday night session and let it roll. Then I'll upload the clips.

14. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Excellent! I'll be looking forward to it. I imagine it sounds pretty good. One big question is how difficult it is to find the sweet spot to place the unit based on the polar pattern of the mics. Thanks for offering to upload a sample.

15. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
  16. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Chris from SP.com told me about the Marantz. The advantage is the XLR's, the price is just $60 difference. However, I went with the Edirol because their stuff is known as really Mac friendly. It's also hard to tell when the Marantz is going to ship. I'm planning on using the internals mics anyway, which Chris said were very good.

The next shipment of Edirols isn't due out until April (after this week's shipment goes out).

I think the trick will be finding the "sweet spot" as Chris says -- it will be a little bit of trial and error.

17. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Wil - Please keep us posted... I'm getting itchy for a live recording system, and a friend who has the Marantz says that while it's a great unit, the pres are awful, so he has to carry outboard.

18. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    I'm just starting to use a PMD660 and while the pre's are not the standout feature of the device, they aren't hideously bad either. Oade Brothers offers a noise and distortion reduction mod for $125, BTW. Similar to what they do for the PMD670. The internal mics, OTOH, really do sound like ass for music. Keep in mind that this box was destined for the field recording of interviews, conferences, etc... and not really designed for audiophile applications. Anything that I would be recording on this will end up getting washed through my DAW anyhow, so I'm not going to freak if the raw audio isn't blowing my socks off.

It was a tough choice between the R1 and the 660, but I sold off my MiniDisc rig last year along with my SoundProfessionals binaural mic and preamp rig, so I liked the XLR inputs on the 660. That lets me use mics that I currently own instead of having to buy new mics.

The device that sounds as good as my MOTU896HD, is the size of a paperback, and runs for 12 hours on a set of AAs hasn't been invented yet. Since the cash for a Nagra wasn't falling from the sky, the PMD660 seemd like the next best thing.

USB data transfer
    CF memory
    built in mics and a line in
    XLRs with Phantom power
    Battery operation
    compact size

I'll be giving it a good workout over the next month and I'll have a better idea of how "acceptable" the audio is by this time next month.

Pete

19. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Pete - please do give an update. That looks like a really interesting unit. My friend doesn't have that unit, he has the CD burner version with two XLR ins and doesn't like those pres. I'd love to try one of these that you have with something like a rode nt5 for punch & play gig recording.

Last - is there Mac software that will accept the usb uploading? That's one of he big perks of the Edirol fo me.

20. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

OK, it's July. Got it yet? Do tell!