1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Effects Arrangement???

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by kmk42019, Feb 24, 2008.

1. kmk42019

kmk42019

Aug 14, 2006
    Baltimore
    Im not sure which way to arrange my effects...I have:

MXR Blowtorch
    MXR Phase 90
    Boss chorus
    BBE opto stomp (Compressor)
    Digitech synth wah

and may possibly get a little big muff

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I would go:
    BSW --> BBE --> dirt boxes ...and the phase and chorus can go anywhere in there.

The BSW might put out some volume spikes which would be alleviated by the compressor; yet compression after distortion or fuzz can dull or even deaden them. The phase and chorus will be strictly up to personal taste. I happen to like fuzz --> phase personally, but it's no biggie.

3. kmk42019

kmk42019

Aug 14, 2006
    Baltimore
    So you would recommend me to plug my bass into the synth wah then compressor followed by my blowtorch???

4. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Yep.

Although I've put my compressors after my distortions too. Then again, I rarely have my compressor on when my dirt boxes are on.

Personally, I'd end your chain with your phaser and then chorus. Though from my point of view those two are interchangeable since I've never used both simultaneously.

5. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Personally:

Bass -> MXR Blowtorch ->
    Digitech synth wah ->
    MXR Phase 90 ->
    Boss chorus ->
    BBE opto stomp -> amp

Fuzzes should always be first, IMO.

6. synth wah's octavers etc etc need to be first for best tracking, you just need to make sure you have the right impedence going into the fuzz for it to be rate

7. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    .... which the synth wah is not, so you need to have the fuzz first then the synth wah.

8. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    ...and noting that his current bass, a Stingray, is active- which nullifies the impedance/placement issue re: fuzzes. For an active bass it doesn't matter where in the chain you put the fuzz.

9. haha i thought it had an octaver and all that jazz?

10. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    What about the buffer circuits on the CEB-3 and BSW?

Anyhow... the Blowtorch works fine with my Stingray, so kmk, I wouldn't worry about the impedance thing.

The LBM, on the other hand, can be a little finicky with some basses, but it worked fine on lower Sustain settings with my old EMG-loaded basses. Never tried it out with my Stingray - I sold it before I acquired my 'Ray.

11. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    The deal is that they are "the same as" an onboard preamp in regards to this whole fuzz/impedance question. Their output impedance is closer to that of an onboard pre than it is to the z out of a passive bass.

12. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Ah... good point. Thanks for the info!

You're the living spirit of the TB Wiki. :D