1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Effects Loop Question!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by xstepalex, Sep 4, 2008.

1. xstepalex

xstepalex

Sep 1, 2008
    So I just bought a rack with a GBE400 head and a couple effects. There is a Peavey QF131 EQ and a Alesis 3630 compressor/limiter.
    This is my first big rig actually,
    so from what I understand,I need the signal to flow out from the send jack, trough the devices and then back into the amp. and I wonder if I need to plug in the eq before the compressor or vice-versa.

and second, do you guys think those devices are actually useful? I already have a limiter on my gbe400 and the peavey eq has a larger range than my speakers could ever produce.

So any opinions would be apreciated thanks !

2. Having a limiter on your amp is quite different to what a dedicated compressor can do for your sound. The EQ is still useful regardless of what your speakers are capable of. You're on the right track with the signal path, although you don't HAVE to do it that way, or any way for that matter. Personally, I'd put the EQ first, but there's no right or wrong here really.

Try the stuff out and decide for yourself if you need it - that's the best way.

3. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Compression is useful (indispensible in the studio, at least), but from what I've heard about the Alesis 3630, it's not well-regarded for bass. Whether you truly need a compressor will depend on how you feel about it. However, I wouldn't use your Alesis as a means of judging compression in general. It'd be misleading. ;)

When it comes to recording, you can't live without a compressor. But I'd rather compress on the studio's dime than my own - they'll probably have a wider selection of comps than I would, anyway. :D

As for the EQ... I'm always weary of rigs with giant rack EQs. For a PA system? Of course! But for a bass rig? Seems like overkill in most cases, to me.

When it comes to amp shopping, EQ is one of many things I judge an amp by. If I can't get the sounds I want out of the head, I would much rather buy another head than try to "rectify" it with a 31-band EQ or the like. After all, it's more weight, more rack space filled up, and more money spent when I could potentially buy a better head.

But there are always exceptions. Rack EQs offer frequency manipulation of a caliber not reached by conventional 4-band EQs, but whether that's necessary is another matter. After all, there's more to an EQ than simply the frequency centers...

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Nifty's advice is good. Check the FAQ linked in my sig for info about how to use a compressor.

My personal opinion (not to be taken as anything other than a personal opinion) is that neither of those particular units will be useful to you. The EQ already built into the amp head is sufficient for most people's needs, and I would not recommend adding an external EQ unless you know you need a specific EQ function that the amp's EQ doesn't provide. A compressor is a useful tool, but (a) you need to spend some time learning how to use it in order to get any benefit from it, and (b) the 3630 is not a good one.

IOW I would sell off both of those units, and either pocket the money or maybe spend it on a better compressor.