1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Effects Newbie

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by codenamepaul, Jun 2, 2014.

1. codenamepaul

codenamepaul

Jan 27, 2010
    MA
    I am a total newb when it comes to effects. I have an MXR distortion that I use pretty much max for a couple of tunes (old school Metallica, etc.) I have a Korg AX3000 effects processor I bought years ago to pre amp my under powered Bassman amp, but now my drummer wants to fill the sound out a little better. Using the compression, presence, and EQ on my current pre amp/amp setup seemed to be doing fine for me, but I would like to venture off my chosen path a little. The AX3000 seems to be more complicated than it needs to be. Should I be trading this for some stomp boxes? Or am I being obtuse in how to set up the processor for individual effects?

Edit-current rig is a G-K 700RB with RBH410 and 115 cabs with a SansAmp RBI pre-amp if this is any help.

2. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    I don't know the Korg and I tend to go for stomp boxes, but I would say mess around with the Korg and figure out what effects go well with the music you are doing and what you like and don't likes about them. Then if you are unhappy with the Korg, you will be able launch in informed. Eg - you like the octave effect on the Korg and it works well so you buy a killer octave.

Otherwise you are just building a generic board based on what people here are telling you that you need and with no idea of the usefulness. It seems to me like you have a great way to explore effects without committing any capital to it.

totallyfrozen likes this.
  3. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    Have fun checking out new pedals or demo vids on the web! I've now decided to experiment with distortion pedals. I'm looking forward to trying MXR distortion pedals at some point. The Boss MT-2 that I just ordered competes with the MXR Fullbore Metal.

My previous stomp box experience has been with tube overdrives, reverb, compression, flange, delay, wah, autowah and SansAmp Bass Driver DI pedals. Fortunately, I spend time with Teles, Strats, and others where the pedals might work if not for my herd of Basses.

4. get a octave pedal. i use the mxr bass chorus deluxe. it good for metal too.

5. adi77

adi77 Banned

Mar 15, 2007
    bombay
    you should check out threads on TB about the RBI.. you can use it for distortion which can be switched on/off using a footswitch, etc.. the ax3000 is a guitar processor and will probably cut some low end.. maybe you could sell it and get a bass compressor or an octave pedal, as suggested by mosfed and unemploid.. lots of companies are making dual effect pedals.. you could check some of those out too..

6. codenamepaul

codenamepaul

Jan 27, 2010
    MA
    Should have clarified, AX3000B it is for bass. The RBI gives a really full sound, but can't get dirty enough for some of the tunes I'm playing.