1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Egyptian Bass (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stickk, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Dig It

45 vote(s)
    66.2%
  2. Dislike It

23 vote(s)
    33.8%
  1. Stickk

Stickk

Sep 2, 2008
    Jambi
    Here's a picture of my soon to be Egyptian Bass (the design is kinda messed up, scanners don't take hand-drawn pictures that well. This picture's kinda sloppy; I drew it in class today).

Specs:
    -All Maple Fretted Precision Bass Neck, 20 frets, '51 headstock
    -2 Jazz Bass Pickups
    -Bad Ass II Bridge
    -Body: Ash stained ebony with a Zebrawood Laminate Top. Alembic Scorpion Body
    -Controls: 2 Volume, 2 Tone, Killswitch, Series Parallel Switch
    3439902170_8994e00970_b.

What do you think?

NOTE: Jordasch came up with the term "Fendorpion."

2. Disappear

Disappear

May 9, 2008
    Gold hardware man. That and bright, high value colours. Accent in black?

This could be good.

3. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    It's not my thing, but if well executed it could be cool and original. Do what makes you happy.

4. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

I'm not usually one for gold hardware, but in this case I've got to agree. Definitely goes with the theme.

Make sure you do the body a nice color, too.

5. If you use ash you might want to enhance the grain (check out some F-basses without an exotic top!). There was some other dude here who built an Alembic-ish body and attached a Fender-type neck to it, I think he burned the grain to enhance it, you might wanna give it a go!

I really dig the 11-12-13th frets inlay... :)

Good luck.

6. Looks like it could be cool. Gold hardware would definitely be awesome w/ the theme involved. IMO, I'd want a bigger body to balance it out more (both visually and to prevent neck dive).

7. ironrat

ironrat

Sep 24, 2008
    I suggest you to leave the Eye of Horus out of the first fret. Instead do it on the headstock. Btw, you can shape the headstock to resemble a scorpion sting. Something like this, I am terrible at drawing

untitled.

subscribed

8. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    +1 on the following...

...could be cool!

9. Stickk

Stickk

Sep 2, 2008
    Jambi
    The inlays are mainly going to be laminated abalone, so there will be high value colors.

10. Stickk

Stickk

Sep 2, 2008
    Jambi
    I did that with my Fender Omega build, which can be viewed in my "It's Alive (Part 2)" thread.

11. Stickk

Stickk

Sep 2, 2008
    Jambi
    While gold hardware would be cool, I'm going to have to stick with silver. This is because this bass is being transformed from my white jazz bass.

12. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Have to agree, gold hardware, plus an ebony fretboard and brass frets would really make the bass, but you have to work with what you have i suppose.

13. ironrat

ironrat

Sep 24, 2008
    ...................!?!?!?!? WHAT!?!?!:eek:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    WHY?? WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYY???? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO PLEASE NOOOOOO.:crying::crying::crying::crying:

Gold hardware will look awesome on that bass! Come on Faraohs were buried with gold!

14. You're going to re-cut the J-Bass to that body style?

How then are you going to have striper woods? Or will that just be a paint job? I would just have the Jazz's fretboard inlayed with the Egyptian symbols, and then just change over to new gold hardware.... maybe even a new pickguard (I'm sure even something gaudy [like the pyramids] would look cool on a bass like that)............ Add some flats, and, if you're really in the mood for a makeover (and have the cash), have a shop route out the body and install a humbucker.

[EDIT] All this is, of course, assuming that you leave it as a white Jazz, and don't cut the body.

Just my opinion... and with that, I have given myself GAS.

15. Vakmere

Vakmere

Sep 6, 2007
    Philly
    TUT 4 string?

16. Soverntear

Soverntear

Mar 17, 2008
    Toronto

he does make a good point, plus im sure finding someone to trade silver for gold hardware shouldnt be toooo hard

17. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Um.. I havent received anything for naming this beast?

I expected some type of recognition. ;)

18. Stickk

Stickk

Sep 2, 2008
    Jambi
    Fair enough, you are now mentioned at the bottom for naming the bass.

19. ironrat

ironrat

Sep 24, 2008

Call her Hatshepsut:

The King Herself
    What motivated Hatshepsut to rule ancient Egypt as a man while her stepson stood in the shadows? Her mummy, and her true story, have come to light.
    http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2009/04/hatshepsut/brown-text

20. Stickk

Stickk

Sep 2, 2008
    Jambi
    I'm likin' that name better than Harere!