Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EH Tubes are GONE?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by smo, Dec 18, 2005.

1. :'( I don't own a tube amp.. but I have an old telefunken radio

2. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    No, I made a post about this last night. Mike Matthews won this case. No need to panic. EH tubes are here to stay.

3. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
  4. cool - thanks mate - I (obviously) didn't see that.
    Ta.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    My heart sank when I read this. On the other hand, I knew that Mike Matthews won the case.

I'm just confused. LOL

6. Matt H

Matt H

Jul 30, 2005
    Ithaca, NY
    tpylons- how did you know that matthews one? has this actually been written up anywhere? or is it just net hearsay?

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Net heresy for now. Supposedly there's some official statement coming soon. I heard from a guy who heard from a reliable source or somethin.

I just have my fingers crossed. Mike Matthews is my hero.

8. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    interesting thing about this is the reason that the factory has to be in russia is because of lax enviornmental laws....apparently tube production is horrible for the enviornment due to emissions.
    and if i'm not mistaken, don't they also manufacture tubes in china?

9. Transistor production is MUCH worse. Tubes aren't really that bad environmentally, just extremely labor intensive. Large scale tube production ended in the US in 1995 and even now there are a few small-run manufacturers here making audio and transmitter tubes.

RE: Saratov. Mike will probably win if he hasn't already. That 'real estate' consortium has been muscling lots of people in that area out of their land, but Mike Matthews and the real hard foreign currency that he represents are worth far more to the area than whatever influence they have.

10. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Do you have any details on this claim? I'd be interested in finding out more.

11. Matt H

Matt H

Jul 30, 2005
    Ithaca, NY
    from what I gather, tube construction isn't any worse than transistort production- there's just "no money" in tube production (it's a niche market... compare that with semiconductors? yowza).

another problem is simply the machinery- there haven't been any updates to the machines that make tubes- the reflektor plant has been cranking since what, 1953 i think? chances are it's all originally machinery. in addition to plant space and appropriate machines- a lot of chemicals need to be supplied. from what I heard, things like pipes carrying pure elements and whatnot. (i really don't know- this is totally just repeating what i've heard and half forgotten at 4am while working on a term paper)

the labor issue could be seriously reduced if modern production methods were used. however, that would involve designing and building all new machinery using modern processes and reducing the number of humans required to produce one tube.

12. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    Mike Matthews called my boss Friday and told him he won.

13. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Who's your boss?

14. Matt H

Matt H

Jul 30, 2005
    Ithaca, NY
    also, "won what?"

record states there was an administration hearing, not an actual lawsuit.

word's out from other tube dealers now about this.(whom i'd actually trust on this one, but still understand it being hearsay... oh, tplyons, "heresy" will get you burned at the stake... heheh)

anyway- it just means that the power wont get cut off on january first, but offers no long term protection, nor does it prevent people from threatening employees into not going to the plant...

step in the right direction? sure- but far from a real "victory".

15. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...yeah? +1...

~S~

16. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    just did some web research, apparently, i was completely wrong,
    the factories are overseas for production cost reasons.
    that's what i get for listening to a guitar player!
    sorry for the missinfo, i'll resarch first next time. duh.
    doug

17. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Too true. :p

18. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I e-mailed Mike Matthews asking him about it. Here is what he said:
    Well, that is straight from the horse's mouth. I think we all can relax a little bit now.