1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EHX Bass Mono Synth

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ChubbyJerk, Jan 18, 2019.

1. ChubbyJerk

ChubbyJerk Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Seems like a new "9" series pedal, except it has 11 options. And it's targeted at bass specifically.

So...my first thought, 5 seconds into the video, is "wow, there's a synth attack that no synth pedal (midi pickups aside) has really gotten right before."

So first sounds great. Second sounded like garbage to me. Third sounds cool. Still listening.

Very cool overall. Gonna check it out more. I may have to get one of these.

EHX.com | Electro-Harmonix Introduces the Bass Mono Synth | Electro-Harmonix

2. ChubbyJerk

Apr 23, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Oh, wicked...it has preset storage (1 per synth type). That's a big step up from the 9 series of pedals.

ficelles, Spectrum and RickenCliff like this.
  3. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    I like it. Cheers.

4. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Can’t find a street price for it yet. But if it runs true to form for EHX pricing I’m figuring it’ll be in the neighborhood of $250 - which seems a little steep to me for such a limited tone pallet. Especially when you can score the real deal, like a Novation Bass Station II, for around $399 new.

You don’t need much in the way of keyboard skills to handle a single note bassline on a mono synth. A few weeks of practice is all it’ll take to be able to handle something as simple as that. It’s not like you’ll be playing up to ten simultaneous notes, or using both hands like an actual keyboard player would.

Or so I think anyway. YMMV. :)

GentProvocateur and fclefgeoff like this.
  5. The Mouse

The Mouse

Jun 2, 2009
    Ireland
    Thanks man. I'll be keeping an eye out for some reviews.

6. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal

7. ChubbyJerk

Apr 23, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    There are reasons one might choose a real synth over a pedal. There are also reasons one might prefer a synth pedal. To each their own.

I'm assuming it'll be in the same range as the 9 line, which is $225 street I think? Maybe closer to the Superego+, as it has some additional features (2nd switch / presets)? So $250 is probably right. That feels fair to me, looking at the market and functionality.

8. mannysilvers

mannysilvers Commercial User

Jun 20, 2009
    NYC
    Engineer, Electro-Harmonix
    Street price: $123.50

9. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    Wow... At that price I will get one for sure

Ikkir, hintz, Bassist4Eris and 2 others like this.
  10. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    @mannysilvers , I have to say that you guys have been launching some killer products these last months. The Battalion Nano is an awesome OD pedal for bass, the Sovtek deluxe is boutique level at an affordable price and now this bass Mono Synth...
    Great work!

11. ChubbyJerk

Apr 23, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Seriously? Gotta be a typo. $223.50? At $225, I'd be picking it up when I can save up a bit. At $125, I'd buy it today.

The blurb says available now, but I can find no evidence of that anywhere. Any idea on street date?

12. rjovin

rjovin Supporting Member

May 27, 2011
    tampa, fl
    This looks very promising and looks to solve the problem I had with the h9 pedals, volume knobs!

Edit: after looking again I realise that the synth 9 i had does indeed have the same volume knob set up this has.
    My problem with the synth 9 was, one sound I liked would be plenty loud to work within the band and the next sound liked would be to quite and unusable. Hopefully this is more consistent from sound to sound.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
  13. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

At that price it’s worth a look. :thumbsup:

14. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

In my case it’s more for me knowing what already works and it being something I won’t be unloading at a loss in a month or two once the honeymoon is over. Been there too many times.

But to your point, whatever works best for each. :thumbsup:

fclefgeoff and ChubbyJerk like this.
  15. burpgun

burpgun

Jun 29, 2015
    Definitely try before you buy, if possible. I love EHX and have a Microsynth and Superego I use all the time. I bought one the Mel9 mellotron pedals when they came out based on the videos, and it was a major disappointment. Very shrill and synthetic. The only upside is I didn't lose any money on resale.

16. tb4sbp

tb4sbp

May 9, 2017
    North East
    That is really good price point

17. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I wants.

18. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    That demo sounds dope!!! Can't wait to grab one. I really like the way it looks too.

hintz, Bassist4Eris and Nunovsky like this.
  19. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Have they ever. The Oceans 11 was a masterpiece. And a genuine bargain too. :thumbsup:

gregmon79 and Nunovsky like this.
  20. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    I dunno....seems really limited in it's sounds....

geof_ and 40Hz like this.