Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EHX help...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Dan1099, Apr 7, 2005.

1. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Okay, so my guitar player (I know, I know) has this EHX Holy Grail reverb. He loves it's sound, but he has a problem. Often, when he engages the pedal, suddenly, little to no sound comes out of the amp. This is remedied immediately by turning the pedal off. It does NOT do this all the time. In fact, if he is feeding the pedal a heavy signal (i.e. strumming chords or something) when he hits the switch, it ALWAYS works, and if he is not playing anything when he hits the switch, it almost never works. It's almost like it REQUIRES a signal from the guitar to correctly turn on. Seeing as it's not exactly practical to play slamming chords in every location where you would like to turn your reverb pedal on, he rarely uses it anymore. Is there anything he can do to fix this problem? Is it an inherent issue in all Holy Grail pedals? Anybody know?

BTW, tplyons, your sound clips of the new English Muff'n have him saving his money and removing his Big Muff from his signal chain. :)

2. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    I don't know what causes it but I had the same problem with a Russian Big Muff. It infuriated me so much because I really liked the tone, but I couldn't deal with the inconsistant switch. I am curious to know about a solution because I have other EHX pedals as well. Great topic!

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    It sounds like a problem with the switch, cold solder joint maybe? Defective switch. Email Electro-Harmonix for details.

Good to know I'm keeping guitar and bass players around the world DIRT POOR.

4. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    I'll give it a shot. I've heard terrible things about their customer service though. :meh:

Yeah. He concluded that that's what a Big Muff WISHES it could sound like. I must say, I'm considering one myself.

5. Dell

Dell

Apr 7, 2005
    I had this problem with a ProCo RatII. But I havn't got round to looking at it yet.