Electro Harmonix LPB 2ube. What a great pedal!!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Modern Growl, Jul 19, 2005.

1. For one, I would like to say that I’m EXTREMELY surprised that this pedal doesn’t get much recognition on these boards. Well I would like to be the first to bring the Electro Harmonix LPB 2ube the glory and attention it overly deserves. I do believe that this might be one of the best little pedals a bassist can buy that’s not looking for a radical change in tone, but to add thickness, beef, and some coveted tube warmth and natural harmonics/dynamics to a Solid State Rig.
    This pedals core is two stages of 12AX7 Tube gain. It comes with Sovtek 12AX7-WB’s in it. Both stages have a drive control and a volume control. The drive control obviously drives the tubes, and the volume is the master for each stage. The LPB 2ube also has an input level switch for high output/low output instruments.

HANDS ON: I wanted to make sure that I was getting maximum control over both stages so I ganged them up, and had the output of the left going into the input of the right, and having that output into my amp. This way, you can have full control over both stages gain and master volume. With the option of driving both stages of tubes and having the master volume which can push the next stages gain even more, you have a wonderful pallet of Tubey goodness you can obtain.
    You can push this as an overdrive pedal in MONO mode and get nice tones from it if that’s your desire, but I mind you, you do get a natural compression that I’m not fond of. My personal use, I’m just using this to add a little thickness, warmth, and wonderful harmonics. (Who doesn’t want more harmonics?)
    I push it pretty hard, but light enough not to get an overdriven sound. Once it’s set up to that degree, you will hear your tone instantly get fuller, warmer, thicker, and richer over all. You will also notice a nice addition of harmonics and definition that only tubes can offer. It doesn’t alter your instruments or amps tone whatsoever either. That’s what I love about this thing the most. I’ve tried tube emulators pedals (Tech21, amongst others) and they IMHO totally re-voice your instrument and amp. The LPB 2ube doesn’t at all. It just makes everything sound bigger and more dynamic. This is the real deal, real tubes and no emulation.
    Another wonderful thing about having this pedal is that you can get different 12ax7 tubes, (Groove Tubes, EHX, Sovtek, JJ, Tung-Sol, RCA ect, ect….) and introduce a new sound to your rig each time you switch. Switching out 12ax7’s in the LPB 2ube is just another awesome thing about this unit. You can purchase many, there pretty cheep, and see how each have their own signature voice to them and enjoy, all for pretty cheap. Preamp Tubes usually aren’t much more then $10-$15.
    If your looking to add warmth, thickness, harmonics, definition and dynamics to your rig, with the option of pushing the gain stages to get a little grit n’ growl, I recommend trying this pedal.
  2. powerslave

powerslave Guest

Feb 24, 2005
    United States
    You have any sound samples of this amazing tube pedal?
  3. No, I don't have any recording gear.

Sorry :(
  4. I don't have any sound clips but if you get a chance to try one of these units out, I encourage you to!

Hopefully the review is informative to all!
  5. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I had been kinda curious about this pedal. I've been semi-looking around for a tube pedal that would function along the same lines as the old Tubeworks BlueTube pedal I had back in the early '90s. Man, I wish I never sold that thing. (Hence my new motto: Never sell gear! You'll never know when you'll want it again!)
  6. xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    what about this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7337817688&category=22669&ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1

or this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7338077881&category=41416&ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1
  7. Can you get warm tones and perhaps some mild grind without overdrive from the BlueTube pedal? From the research I've done it looks like an overdrive/distortion pedal.

At low gain levels, can you get a warmed up, clean signal?

8. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    How do you distinguish grind from overdrive? Just want to make sure I understand what you're looking for.
    If that's what you're looking for, check out the SIB fatdrive pedal. http://www.smfamps.com/
    You can use it as a pedal tube preamp, and then add drive later if you want od.
  9. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I wish I still had my Tube Works 4001 Tube DI. That warmed up my SWR MW10 so nicely. My Eden is plenty warm, but it doesn't "overdrive" well. I don't want it to. I want the tone it has and then the option of adding more. That's what pedals are for, right?
  10. Sako

Nov 4, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    I'm curious about this pedal. I've had a solid state life so far -- no experieice with tubes at all. My questions:

1) to get added thickness, beef, and some coveted tube warmth and natural harmonics/dynamics, do you have to use this at a band practice or gig level? Or can you still get the benefits using it on an at-home-practice output level?
    2) I have a little grit in my amp, which I dig. Would this allow me to increase that a bit, without completely diving into the OD world?
    3) what does an OD or distortion pedal sound like after the LPB 2ube?
  11. You will hear the incresase in warmth and thickness all the at home deff. Probalby even more so, because you wont have a loud drummer drownding everything out.... This will enhance everything you put through it. So If you put a gritty sounding amp in front of this (use pedal in loop) you will hear that grit enhanced w/ harmonics.

I dont kwo about the distorion pedal tough... i never used one.
  12. Sako

Nov 4, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    You've got me interested -- I'll have to go try one out now, if I can find one locally.
  13. i doubt you'll fine one locally. Might have to order it off the web

www.musiciansfriend.com has them at 199.00 same as everyone else, but they will give free shipping.

and if you find out that you don't want anything you order from the... they have a 45 day return policy.
  14. Have you ever paired the 2ube with the Black Finger? Or does the 2ube offer enough compression?
  15. JJBluegrasser

JJBluegrasser Wannabe Snazzy Dresser

Apr 17, 2003
    USA, Raleigh, NC
    Does anyone know what the difference is between this pedal and the English Muff'n? Can you basically do the same thing with both?

16. I'm bumping this as I tried both the LPB2ube today and the EHX Tube EQ.

The LPB2ube is seriously on my GAS list - I found it does colour your signal a bit. Kinda like very subtle mid-scoop/fattening of bass-highmid-treble. - on the jazz bass this sounded like it had more attack, without loosing any of the fundamental. I should mention that I found this colouring entirely pleasing, rather than what I experienced with the Aquilar Agro (just didnt sound like my bass, no matther where I set any of the controls, sounded like scoop city and seemed to loose some bass to my ears)

The tone reminded me a little of the sansamp bass driver DI, but not so processed and not so scooped.

I didnt link the channels, and I tried it with a Squier VM '77 Jazz (black with maple neck and blocks) and the VM P (Butterscotch with maple neck).

The Jazz, due to the strength of the pickups gave some really nice, very light overdrive *when you dig in* if you dont then its certainly 'warmer' but it didnt truly distort till i played hard (which is exactly as id want).

The P-bass was a lot more distorted off the bat, I assume that is due to the split coil (not sure), do I dialed down the drive a little and there you go - less drive.

What I love is the simplicity - in MONO (without connecting the channels as listed by the OP) you only need to play with one volume and one drive control. The frequency response is 20hz-20khz (according to Sound on Sound).

The beauty of this is actually it deemed to bring out what I liked most in the respective instruments I played them with.

Although this is a zombie thread, I will answer JJ's question:

The muffin is based on a Marshall-style preamp (from what I understand) and also has a 3 band EQ. Unfortunately for me (I've owned two, and tried another on monday), the EQ just doesnt sit in the right places for bass to my ears ('bass' control sounds muddy rather than adding strong fundamental, and it seems to cut the bass below that - it always disappeared in a mix with a band). The LPB2ube has no EQ but I think its better because of that - it does have its own slight colouring but the pedal is about as full-range as my ears can tell.

The true test would be with the band to see how it affects my presence in band mix - which is often the deaths knell for alot of pedals that sound so great on the shop floor.

For the moment it actually sounds like on of the best real tube overdrives on bass i've tried (ok ok, ive not tried that many)
  17. When I tried it out it was a noise machine. Same with the TubeEQ. Perhaps I was using it wrong. I really liked the Muff'n and ended up leaving with that.
  18. I didnt notice any noise on either the Tube EQ or the LPB2ube.

I really wanted to love the muff'n and somewhere I've got a recording of one that sounded really great - I think a clean blend would have made it for me, or maybe even a few cap changes.

I plain didnt like the tube EQ, I think its got its uses but I was hoping to get some drive out of it, but it just doesnt seem to do that for me.
  19. Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    I tried out a LBP2ube a few years back and thought it sounded great. I ran one channel into the other for some sweet overdrive.