1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EMG-45TW 6-strings pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MiniMoNK_17, Dec 22, 2003.

1. Has anyone tried these in a bass? Just curious as to how they sound, and how much a versatility in tone bypassing between the single coil to double coil gives you.

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    No, they seem brand new. Some eagle eyed person (forget who) spotted them a few days ago on emg's updated new website. EMG don't even have any tech docs on them up there yet.

3. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Actually, they've been around for quite a while, but EMG only briefly mentioned them on their old site, so many people did not even know they existed until now. I think they were first publicly released in 2001, but there was very little mention of them anywhere until EMG updated their site just recently.

Also, certain Spector basses (USA Bolt-on I believe) have come equipped with these pickups for several years now, if I remember correctly. :)

4. It's the Spector USA Bolt-on 5 strings that come with the 40TW for the bridge pickup, which is basically the pickup i want but the 6-string version of it. I still can't find a sound clip though :(

5. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Basically, it's their normal single coil pickup and a CS in the same housing. I was thinking about putting them in a custom bass, that never really got off the ground, but the luthier and I discussed these quite a lot. The single coil is more quiet. EMG were thinking about installing two separate preamps in the pickup to accomodate this, but i don't know if they ever did.

6. ive got 2 of the 45tw's coming to the shop i work at for my ESP LTD B206 - i will try and post a sound clip of what they sound like when they get here - hopefully within the next few weeks im too eager to try them out haha.