1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EMG ACTIVE PICKUPS

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Frederickbass, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Hey Guys, I need your help since I decided to take out one of my old basses that I'm in love with it's shape and the feel of the neck.

First Im replacing the bridge and the tuner + adding an extending tuner. Defretting It, changing the headstock e.t.c

I just purchased EMG PG style Pickups which are active. Do I still need a preamp since they say that the pickups already have one inside them. Do I just install them as directed with the power source and let the magic happen ?

thanks in advance:hyper:

2. levis76

levis76 Seconds from getting ba...

Apr 14, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    I installed some active PJ's in a Jackson without a preamp and they work just fine. I only have three pot holes to work with, so unless I wanted to drill out another hole or two, I couldn't install a preamp. I wired mine up as V/V/T.

3. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    No, you do not need a preamp to make them work. They will work just fine.

The only thing a preamp will do is add more tonal varieties since you can sculpt you sound right at your finger tips.

4. so, I can add a preamp if I want to then.

thank you

5. But will I need to power the pickups with the preamp ?

The preamp is an Aguilar obp3. its a 3 control eq + a toggle switch. So basically I'll need 5 or 6 knobs I guess

6. LCMBassist

LCMBassist

Sep 27, 2008
    England
    Interesting. So the EMGs have a pre amp in them? Can it be adjusted in any way?

7. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Yep. If you decide you want to add it later, you can.

Nope, just with the battery leads.

From the EMG site:

What's an active pickup, and why would I use one?
    An active pickup is one that uses electronics to improve the sound and enhance its operation. There are a variety of ways to "Activate" a pickup. A simple "buffer" pre-amp will do the trick, but it will also amplify the hum and buzz the pickup produces. Just because a pickup is "active" doesn't guarantee you'll get great results. EMG pickups utilize an internal pre-amp (inside the pickup), which not only makes the pickup louder, it also reduces the noise!

Why an internal pre-amp?
    It's the most efficient way to create an active pickup. All the coil connections are shielded , the pre-amp is shielded, and the output of the pickup cable is low-impedance, which makes it less susceptible to noise. Also, it avoids a spider web of wires and possible loose connections in your guitar and the installation is simple. All the benefits with none of the hassle.

From me:
    As far as I know, EMG pickups are epoxied and the only thing sticking out of them are the pickup leads and ground cables. I don't think you can adjust the internal pre in the pickup.