EMG pickup wiring for two 40TWX with 3 band eq

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Joblivion, Dec 16, 2020.

1. Joblivion

Joblivion

Jan 30, 2020
    Toronto, ON
    Hey Y'all,

Im thinking about getting 40TWX pickups for my bass and am wondering how I can still maintain 3 band eq.

If it's not possible then my next question is should I only get one TWX and use a DCX or CSX with a blend eq system instead?

2. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    It is possible. I have two EMG TWX pickups with EMG 3 band EQ (BQS Control) on a bass. The knobs are configured: Neck Vol (P/P: dual/single coil), Bridge Vol (P/P: dual/single coil), Bass, Mid/Mid freq sweep (stacked), Treble.

The EMG solderless connections really makes it easy, though it could also be confusing.

Just download the "PPP INSTRUCTIONS" pdf file from one of the TWX pickup web pages and use the Diagram #8 as the base connection method, but use the output from the last P/P Vol pot to the BQS Control input (instead of to the Master Tone pot as depicted). And finally hook the output of the BQS Control to the bass output jack (of course, not to exclude the red battery wirings).

Joblivion likes this.
  3. GlassToMouth

GlassToMouth Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2014
    Rhode Island
    I have two different basses with a pair of TWX pickups and 3 band BQC control. Push/pull volume for each pickup as well as stacked mids and stacked bass/treble. I LOVE this setup. Every so often I will flip a pickup upside down in order to see what tonal changes I can get from repositioning the single coil location. Awesome pickups. Very versatile and sound amazing to my ears.

Joblivion likes this.
  4. Joblivion

Joblivion

Jan 30, 2020
    Toronto, ON
    It says two batteries are recommended. Unfortunately, unless I have a professional expand my battery cavity, I don't see that being an option for me. What are your thoughts?

5. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    Yes, probably 18V power would be better, but many said the X models are fine with 9V. At least my 2 TWXs and BQS Control system gets no problem by using just a single 9V battery.

Joblivion likes this.
  6. GlassToMouth

GlassToMouth Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2014
    Rhode Island
    Preferred, but not required in my opinion. Having owned 5 fully EMG pickups/preamp equipped basses... 4 currently, I've run three of them on 18v and two of them on 9v. I've never had a problem with the 9v configuration. Of the two 9v basses, one has a dual 40DC setup, the other dual JX. If I were to get another bass to load up with EMG's, I wouldn't concern myself with routing for a 2nd battery cavity. Two is ideal, one is still absolutely fine in my experience.

Joblivion likes this.