1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EMG vs Seymour Duncan vs Aguilar

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Clark W, Jan 2, 2020.

1. EMG GZR P/J set

10 vote(s)
    45.5%
  2. Seymour Duncan 1/4 Pounder set with Emerson Pre Wired controls

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. Aguilar AG 4P/J-HC set with Emerson Pre Wired controls

6 vote(s)
    27.3%
  4. Seymour Duncan SPB-4 P pup & Apollo Jazz pup with Emerson Pre Wired controls

4 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. Clark W

Clark W Just Say No To Tort! Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2018
    Going to replace the pups and electronics in a bass that uses a P/J pup configuration. I just can't decide what I want to go with.

First off I only have a 100 bucks in the bass, 2015 Squier FSR Jaguar short scale. The neck on it is one of those that just feels really good. Great playing bass except for the electronics that are shot.

So do I go with an EMG GZR P/J set which I can install in about 10 mins or less?

Or...
    Do I go with a Hum-Canceling Aguilar AG 4P/J-HC 4-string P/J Pickup Set and an Emerson Custom Prewired Kit, V/V/T and output, that uses 250Kohm pots and a premium 0.047uf Emerson Paper in Oil Capacitor?

Or...
    Do I go with a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound P-J Bass Set and the same Emerson Custom Prewired Kit, that I would use with the Aguilar pups?

Or...
    Do I go with a Seymour Duncan SPB-4 Steve Harris Signature P-Bass Pickup and a Seymour Duncan Apollo Jazz Bass Pickup? The Apollo Jazz is actually a linear humbucker, not a single coil although it looks like a single coil jazz pup. I would use the same Emerson prewired control unit with this setup as well.

For me it really comes down to cost, and do I feel like soldering or not. I already have a EMG GZR P pup set I put in another bass and it's a great setup, and easy to install. So do I play it safe and go with what I know, or expand my horizons so to speak and go all out on this thing?

My soldering skills are above and beyond what the Aguilar or Seymour Duncan setups will need. And of course the EMG set is plug n play.

EMG - $179
    Seymour Duncan / Emerson controls - $135 + $79 = $214
    Aguilar / Emerson controls - $199 + $79 = $278
    Seymour Duncan SPB-4 / Apollo and Emerson controls - $89 + $95 + $79 = $263

My 1st choice is Seymour Duncan 1/4 pounder set. Not enough difference in costs over the EMG to worry about.

My 2nd choice is the Aguilar set. At 100 bucks over the EMG set though now we have to stop and ask is the extra dough worth it?

My 3rd choice, to be really different, the Seymour Duncan SPB-4 P pup set with the the Apollo Jazz bass pup. Almost a 100 bucks more than the EMG set, but I think I would really be happy with that setup.

And of course EMG comes in last place just because I want to try something different than my last up upgrade I did.

2. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Depends on the tone you’re looking for.

sikamikanico likes this.
  3. Typically, if you do not describe the type of tone you are after and the type of music you play, no can and will answer those pickup questions since it is all a matter of preference. Personally, I despise the Quarter Pounders but some people love them. IF it was me and the music I tend to play, that would be Aguilar because the P pickup has probably the lowest output and I feel that high output pickups often get you lost in the mix, get too grindy with too much low-mids and "paradoxically" feel less aggressive but it is my own preference after 30yrs of playing.

Clark W likes this.
  4. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Commercial User

Sep 1, 2015
    Writer/Ambassador/Artist/Resident Bass Expert for Seymour Duncan
    You might consider the Hot Stack Jazz for better balance with the SPB-4.

Heavy Blue, Slater and Clark W like this.
  5. Clark W

Aug 26, 2018
    Basically I want pups that will work well for classic rock n roll / blues / southern rock with some 80s, 90s, and 2000s rock thrown into the mix, and on occasion, some country too. The tone doesn't have to be dead on for any of those, just work well in the mix.

6. Clark W

Aug 26, 2018
    Will definitely look into it, thanks.

Zoobiedood likes this.
  7. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    From those options and for that music, I’d probably just go with the GZRs. Try some different strings than your other bass for tonal change... Aguilars are probably a good choice too, but I’d skip the Emerson kit and just get something more reasonably priced. From the Duncan lineup, I’d go with SPB-1 and a J that pairs well, I’m sure they can advise on that.

Then again, what I’d really get is a Wilde PJ set. I really dig their P pickup - great sound, a bit more modern, but well balanced. Also very well priced, and they have them on sale, not sure how long this will last: Holiday Set P/J Bass

Zoobiedood likes this.
  8. sheltjo6

sheltjo6 Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2012
    California
    Having Tried both the EMG Geezer PJ set and the Aguilar PJ set, I personally preferred the tone of the Aguilars. The Aguilars imo had a better volume and tonal balance than the Geezer PJ set.

However, the Geezer Precision by itself produces a great tone.

Both are great PJ sets. Choosing which set will depend on your tonal preferences.

9. Clark W

Aug 26, 2018
    Yeah I've been very happy with the GZR P by itself in a P bass configuration that I have in a 1985 Epiphone P style bass with maple neck/fretboard. One of least expensive basses I own, actually it was the cheapest I paid for a bass. Yet it's definitely one of the best sounding I own and the bass I use for recording.

Now that I have a P/J setup that needs new pups, I'm in an area I'm not familiar with as as far as pups go and what works best with what. Kind of figured how can you go wrong with Aguilar which is one of the reasons it's one of my choices.

10. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    Interested what you finally did. But if it were me I would go with a product match. Meaning one company with a PJ pickup set.

11. Heavy Blue

Heavy Blue

Nov 11, 2017
    Prairie Canada
    I cast my vote for the Geezers but that’s mainly of the love they get around here and because I don’t believe that one doesn’t need to buy a wiring “kit” with the pups. It’s only a couple of pots, a cap, and some wire.

Not exactly exotica imo and you said that your soldering chops are up to par so why get a prewired harness when you don’t need to?

Otherwise, I’d avoid the quarter pounders like the plague. Highs too high, lows too low, no mids so no cut with a band. Not even close to a “classic” P tone. That’s my experience with them.

The Aguilar’s and the SPB-4 with the Hot Stack as suggested by Zoobiedood should be good options as well.

As suggested by sikamikanico a Duncan SPB-1 with an appropriate J pup would likely serve you well here with the music you mentioned earlier. If you still want a hum cancelling J pup with it then maybe the Apollo would be a better fit with the SPB-1 instead of the SPB-4. @Zoobiedood

I’m looking forward to trying out a set of Apollo’s on my VM Jazz.

Good luck!:thumbsup:

12. Clark W

Aug 26, 2018
    Still haven't done anything. It's down to EMG GZR P/J set or Aguilar AG 4P/J-HC 4-string P/J Pickup Set - Hum-Canceling,

But with all that has been going on in the world it's been like the last thing on my list of things to take care of. It's been a very bizarre 2 months

EMG will be cheaper and easier to install, pretty much plug n play. I went with EMG the last time around, very happy about that choice. And in that situation, with that bass, if I had to do it over the choice would be the same.

My gut is telling me Aguilar with an Emerson pre wired control plate kit this time around...

Bassist30 likes this.
  13. Bassist30

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK

I have the Emerson prewired waiting for my p bass pickups to come in. What I like about Emerson they have many of their pieces sold separately and their capacitors are known and I don't want to start a capacitor war as some believe they are all the same. Fine I get it. You got a gut feeling then go with it. Aguilar set sound a lot like the Alleva Coppolo Pickups. The alleva's came first. The P pickup cheapest I have seen is 200 dollars. Now put a Jazz to that and you know what I mean but they sound good. So money taken in consideration go with the Aguilars. And find a solution to take the name off of them. I am so against having the companies names on them. But that's me. So be gentle.

Last edited: May 8, 2020
  14. Bassist30

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    Oh and I don't think AC pickups come with a PJ style. But you can call him, he is one of the nicest guys to meet. I am sure he can make up a set for you and maybe at a discount but again not sure. As far as Pickups it is really vintage. So is his basses.

Clark W likes this.
  15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021