1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Eminence Pickup

Discussion in 'Ask Lynn Seaton' started by John DeWitt, Sep 27, 2019.

1. John DeWitt

John DeWitt Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2009
    Sarasota, Florida
    Endorsing Artist, LaBella Strings
    Hi Lynn, How did you get that gorgeous sound on your Eminence bass on the recording of You Don't Know What Love Is with Evilena Protektore? Thanks, John

2. Lynn Seaton

Lynn Seaton Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2006
    Denton, TX
    John,
    Thank you for the kind words about the tone of the Eminence. I ran the Gage pickup that comes with the bass through a borrowed preamp (which you can see on a road case to my right about 27 seconds in). The engineer also put a microphone on the bass just to get a little "air" (which you can see stuffed into the bridge). By itself the mic sounded awful, but with a little bit blended in with the preamp, it added a lot. I currently use an Acoustic Image preamp and am very happy with that. Here is a fan video where I am using the AI preamp through a PA. It is a good representation of what it really sounds like in the room. There is a bowed solo later in the video.
    All the best.

3. John DeWitt

John DeWitt Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2009
    Sarasota, Florida
    Endorsing Artist, LaBella Strings
    Thanks, Lynn!